The IOWA CHOPS?

RedEye

Well, I think it's better than the Iowa Stars name/logo that was around previously. It did make me laugh. And have a hankerin' for bacon.

Not sayin' much, tho.

EDIT: And I like it a helluva lot better than the Rockford ICEHOGS name. God help me, I hate compound team nicknames (i.e. RIVERCATS, ICEHOGS, SOLAR BEARS, AUGGGGGHHH!)

EDIT x2: The more I think about the Chops, the more I like! YEAH! Funny, a poke at established convention. Me likey. Reminds me a bit of the old "OMAHA BEEF" team.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From hfboards, they aren't even bothering to use a font to match their wordmark. Clone city, baby!

iowachopshome.JPG

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

From another board...

Des Moines reporters are looking forward togrilling the players and coaches in interviews later this season...

Reportedly the Ducks a feverishly working to sign Fribourg-Gottern defenseman Shawn Heins (previously of the San Jose Sharks, Pittsburgh Penguins, and Atlanta Thrashers) and assign him to Iowa to wear the number 57. If that fails, Steve Heinze may be brought out of retirement...

Also, the dance team is going to be making some slight changes: the girls are going to be of dimensions closer to the name of the team. Tryouts will be held this summer at the Iowa State Fair next to the booth where deep-fried candy bars are sold. For more info, contact dance team coordinator Jenny Craig...

Fans also expect David LeNeveu to really bring home the bacon this season...

It's my understanding that the rest of the AHL West Division intends to slaughter Iowa this season...

The Chicago Wolves in particular intend to feast on the Chops...

From what I'm told, the Ducks should have some A1 prospects in Iowa this season...

Also, the team will heading a drive to help certain establishments near the river restock their inventory of barrels: it will be called the Pork Barrel Project.

Jerseys are using the ducks template. Also has a state of iowa shoulder patch.

I like the sound of that. Someone was doing mock-ups of the Ducks template applied to the 29 other NHL teams, and most of them looked great. Also, an Iowa silhouette with the giant I should look pretty cool if they do it right.

I dunno, this is a decent attempt to give Iowa some orignality for it's team. Think about it, what other team is called the Chops? If someone redo that logo and wordmark, then it would be better.

For now, it's just a decent package and it will do it's part in selling hockey in Iowa.

I will say this about the jersey: if you dump the front wordmark, and change the name and numbers to Copperplate, you've got something decent. The shoulder logos are nice - good to finally see the "D" by itself in some on-ice capacity. But I still can't abide by two teams wearing red and black with pig logos in the same division, and the team name is absurd, and not in a good way.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And with those results being indicative of how the majority of the CCSLC apparently feel, Iowa Chops' management has already taken down that poll.

FIXED

Frankly, I don't think that the CCSLC membership is primarily responsible for fueling the backlash that the Iowa Chops identity package is facing in "The Hawkeye State". I'm certain that the vast majority of the 57% of respondents to The Des Moines Register's on-line poll who have stated that they hate said identity package aren't, in fact, denizens of this on-line community.

Jeebus, at least have the decency to leave the ultra-generic wordmark off the jerseys and let the ultra-awful logo stand on its own.

Chops. Really? REALLY?!

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It's Death Moans, Mockba - did you expect a work of art?

That said, the whole identity gets a D+. The name is unique, I'll give them that...but that's it.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Well, I think it's better than the Iowa Stars name/logo that was around previously. It did make me laugh. And have a hankerin' for bacon.

Not sayin' much, tho.

EDIT: And I like it a helluva lot better than the Rockford ICEHOGS name. God help me, I hate compound team nicknames (i.e. RIVERCATS, ICEHOGS, SOLAR BEARS, AUGGGGGHHH!)

EDIT x2: The more I think about the Chops, the more I like! YEAH! Funny, a poke at established convention. Me likey. Reminds me a bit of the old "OMAHA BEEF" team.

I'll agree with those other compound names, except for "Solar Bears." First of all, it's two words, not a compound word. Secondly, it was a perfect "punny" name for a hockey team in Orlando.

An Orlando Solar Bears teal jersey was the first minor-league hockey jersey (and second one in total), I ever bought and I still love that logo.

Untitled.png

Ehh... It's not THAT bad.

Annnd Rockford no longer has the worst nickname/identity in the division.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And with those results being indicative of how the majority of the CCSLC apparently feel, Iowa Chops' management has already taken down that poll.

FIXED

Frankly, I don't think that the CCSLC membership is primarily responsible for fueling the backlash that the Iowa Chops identity package is facing in "The Hawkeye State". I'm certain that the vast majority of the 57% of respondents to The Des Moines Register's on-line poll who have stated that they hate said identity package aren't, in fact, denizens of this on-line community.

Don't be so sure... I just talked to my parents in Iowa and they said the general mood of the media and people they have talked to is that it is a good name and logo. Thankfully, both of my parents think it's stupid, but I could see a lot of people in Iowa seeing this and saying "Hey look, Iowa Chops!! I love Iowa Chops!! And they have a mean pig as the logo! <squeals in excitement>"

Note, I am allowed to say this because I am from Iowa. :grin:

EDIT: Breaking news edit, haha. I guess the 10 PM news is reporting that 60% of Iowans hate the logo and the media seems to have jumped on that bandwagon. All is well again.

Archived