Obstructed View Seats @ Lucas Oil Stadium

dfwabel

wow that is absolutely horrible design planning on everyones part. No one caught the idea that wow, people might not like to stare at a pole the entire game.

Reminds me a lot of this:

Outside%20Boston%20Garden%20small.jpg

The Billboard that was ontop of the old Boston Garden during it's final year. Always made me chuckle when i saw it.

(if you can't tell it shows 3 seats with one of the seats completely obstructed by one of the Gardens infamous columns)

So, they say that the seats won't be sold, and that the semi-obstructed ones will only be sold when the rest are sold out...

Here's a novel idea... why'd they have to install seats behind pillars in the first place? Didn't the guy bolting the seats down stop to think about who would actually be sitting there?

Better yet, what about the architect that designed the stadium? Didn't they double check the blueprints or the 3D computer model before the seal of approval was stamped? :D

Or even better... what about the entry-level drafter who drew in the seats behind the big squares representing columns in AutoCAD?

Donald Trump: YOU'RE FIRED!

And that's just it. I would have refused to put my name on the drawing if the engineer/architect came up with something that stupid.

Take it from someone who works at an architecture firm. It was one of two things.

A) The project is so big that it just ended up being overlooked.

or

B ) A conversation with the client that went like this:

Architect: "Hey we have some seats here that have obstructed views, what would you like to do in these areas?"

Irsay: "Put them in anyways, some moron will buy tickets for them if we make them a little cheaper than the rest"

Well that is what I call retro authentic. When the Colts played in Baltimore they had a stadium that had that type of feature, and it seated more! But Drunk Bob and the boy blunder had to move to Indy!

I sat in one of those seats in the closed end of the stadium when John Elway came to town with the Broncos in 1983. They were the only ones available when we walked up to the ticket window. I had to lean to my right to see the QB take the snap whenever the ball was around the 30-yard-line at that end, but I still had a great time . . . only to see Drunk Bob sneak the team out of town about 6 months later.

So, yes, I am one of the idiots who has paid for partially obstructed view seats.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So, they say that the seats won't be sold, and that the semi-obstructed ones will only be sold when the rest are sold out...

Here's a novel idea... why'd they have to install seats behind pillars in the first place? Didn't the guy bolting the seats down stop to think about who would actually be sitting there?

Better yet, what about the architect that designed the stadium? Didn't they double check the blueprints or the 3D computer model before the seal of approval was stamped? :D

Or even better... what about the entry-level drafter who drew in the seats behind the big squares representing columns in AutoCAD?

Donald Trump: YOU'RE FIRED!

And that's just it. I would have refused to put my name on the drawing if the engineer/architect came up with something that stupid.

Take it from someone who works at an architecture firm. It was one of two things.

A) The project is so big that it just ended up being overlooked.

or

B ) A conversation with the client that went like this:

Architect: "Hey we have some seats here that have obstructed views, what would you like to do in these areas?"

Irsay: "Put them in anyways, some moron will buy tickets for them if we make them a little cheaper than the rest"

Oh, I have been in those situations, too. Either that or it's the engineers/project managers saying things like, "No where in our contract does it state that we can't have any obstructed view seats."

Still would refuse to put my name on the drawings.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Just a thought, but might it be possible to install an LCD screen on the pillar itself so that anyone who can't see the action, can still see what's going on?

I know this is basically someone paying money to watch the game on tv with a live audience, but it's better than staring at the concrete.

And you're right, in the 21st century, obstructed views should be a thing of the past.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I wonder if this isn't some kind of cultural thing? That is, are supporting posts like these just so taken for granted as a standard architectural element in certain parts of the country that they are kept around just for the sake of preserving some semblance of traditional ambience?

Or worse yet, are they so taken for granted that it just never occurs to design engineers to try and do away with them?

CCSLC signature.png

Well that is what I call retro authentic. When the Colts played in Baltimore they had a stadium that had that type of feature, and it seated more! But Drunk Bob and the boy blunder had to move to Indy!

I sat in one of those seats in the closed end of the stadium when John Elway came to town with the Broncos in 1983. They were the only ones available when we walked up to the ticket window. I had to lean to my right to see the QB take the snap whenever the ball was around the 30-yard-line at that end, but I still had a great time . . . only to see Drunk Bob sneak the team out of town about 6 months later.

So, yes, I am one of the idiots who has paid for partially obstructed view seats.

I did too, (Ravens vs Steelers et al) but just as a way to get into the stadium. After that I would wing it, and see what empty seats I could find. Some good, some great, and some times I just stood in the tunnel. But hey I was there! :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

lucasoilfield.jpg

That plus the NFL pushing their new policy against "excessive standing" makes me feel bad for the poor saps sitting next to the obstructed view seats.

O.T. Why are the Colts doing their endzones backwards again. That annoys the hell out of me.

who wants to bet they'll want to replace this in 20 years

You are apparently over bitter over America's Center, but just wait until a major national political convention is held in the Dome. I will prove itself.

I've been to many football games there as my fam has season tickets; it's not a bad stadium; it's dull because the Rams make it dull. I blame the city for the stupid top quarter loophole in the lease.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Took in a AAA baseball game at Victory Field which is close to the stadium in Indy recently (got rained out dammit) but that Lucas oil Stadium is HUGE, it drawrfs the RCS Dome

And, most likely, the RCA dome as well!

:P

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived