Indians vs Mariners on July 19

Braden

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

those are the plainest regular Mariners uniforms. Nobody really loves the Safeway S.

plus, the game wasn't on FSN and it was Miguel Batista pitching, I didn't think I was missing much anyways.

harperdc.gif

As a kid who used to sit with his friends in the Kingdome when 12,000 was considered a GOOD sized crowd, I must admit it's nice to see these uniforms outside in the sun! One of the things we'd talk about was how we never saw how white the home unis looked since we'd only seen them in artificial light.

As for the plain M's-on-ball logo, I remember that one being "secondary". I always thought the wave-patterned "Mariners" script with the rising baseball behind the lettering was considered the "primary" logo.

Anyone else remember this?

i actually liked those jerseys a lot. mostly because i actually grew up watching the tribe wear those.

anyone know where i can buy one of those. maybe even one i can get customized to say Vaughn or Cerrano?

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

As a kid who used to sit with his friends in the Kingdome when 12,000 was considered a GOOD sized crowd, I must admit it's nice to see these uniforms outside in the sun! One of the things we'd talk about was how we never saw how white the home unis looked since we'd only seen them in artificial light.

As for the plain M's-on-ball logo, I remember that one being "secondary". I always thought the wave-patterned "Mariners" script with the rising baseball behind the lettering was considered the "primary" logo.

You mean this one?

acba_1.JPG

I cannot say for certain, as there were not likely "official" primary and secondary logos then, but I definitely remember seing this one used more often.

2891.gif

It took me quite a while to even find the first logo, as it was not used much. By the way, does anyone have a better version that we could put up on Chris' site? Almost all of the logos from the 1987-1992 set are missing.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

You mean this one?

acba_1.JPG

I cannot say for certain, as there were not likely "official" primary and secondary logos then, but I definitely remember seing this one used more often.

2891.gif

It took me quite a while to even find the first logo, as it was not used much. By the way, does anyone have a better version that we could put up on Chris' site? Almost all of the logos from the 1987-1992 are missing.

I do remember the waved "Mariners" mark was the one used behind home plate at the dome, and on at least a couple of giveaways.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Kudos to both teams, both for accuracy, and for bringing back some attractive designs.

But, the best Mariner uni ever was the first one:

77Ms1stpitch.jpgRjonessea.JPG

Beautiful. That M-trident logo is brilliant (both as a concept and as an execution), and so is the wordmark. Also, the brighter yellow pops much more nicely than the dull tone they eventually went to.

And I usually don't like unique number fonts, I usually prefer the standard ones (block, varsity). But this font is gorgeous.

Not only would these make great throwbacks, but a button-down/belt version would make excellent current unis.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

that's why the Mariners usually have the old-school M-trident look stuff as throwbacks. Its certainly the one that Nike and others make for throwback apparel.

and I'd love to have the whites come back as home alternates. they'd be awesome white vests with royal blue undershirts.

harperdc.gif

You mean this one?

acba_1.JPG

2891.gif

It took me quite a while to even find the first logo, as it was not used much. By the way, does anyone have a better version that we could put up on Chris' site? Almost all of the logos from the 1987-1992 set are missing.

Yes, that's the one. The reason why I tend to think of it as the "primary" logo is that it was the one featured on the field behind home plate and as the backdrop during news conferences. Then again, it was the late 1980's - so I suppose you could look at the logos this way: The wave was the "corporate" logo, while the M's-ball was the "fun" logo.

Not only would these make great throwbacks, but a button-down/belt version would make excellent current unis.

I don't know, i'm feeling the pullover as is.

As long as they're not overly baggy!

I always loved these unis - and wish I could find the souvenier version I had as a kid. During the "trident" years, the teams were absolutely horrible. So much so that you were somewhat of a legend in my circle of Jr. High friends if your dad actually took you to a WINNING game!

The funny thing about superstition, there were people that would write to the paper and complain about the logo. They'd point out that the trident pointed down - and that Poseidon always held a trident with the points aiming up. Sure, it wasn't like it could possibly be that the teams flat out sucked!?!?!

I must admit it's nice to see these uniforms outside in the sun! One of the things we'd talk about was how we never saw how white the home unis looked since we'd only seen them in artificial light.

They would see the light of day every other year during the All-Star Game, but only until the sun would set, so... pre-game, I guess.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Yes, that's the one. The reason why I tend to think of it as the "primary" logo is that it was the one featured on the field behind home plate and as the backdrop during news conferences. Then again, it was the late 1980's - so I suppose you could look at the logos this way: The wave was the "corporate" logo, while the M's-ball was the "fun" logo.

Hmm, that's an interesting point. From a non-seattleite, i'd always assumed that the M's-ball was the primary due to the fact it was everywhere. From starter jackets to baseball cards, it was pretty much the only logo the rest of the country saw.

In the Mid 80's (1986 tp 1988) Button Jersey Set. (The ones with the horizontal stripes at the bottom of the sleeve.) They said "INDIANS" on the Road Jerseys. That's the set that appears in the First Major League movie.

al_1986_cleveland.gif

The Late 80's/early 90's set. (1989 to 1993.) had the vertical stripes that went from the collar to the end of the sleeve, and they said "CLEVELAND" on the Road Jerseys. That's the set that appears in Major League II. (Ironic that MLII came out the year that The Jake opened.)

al_1989_cleveland.gif

I also have the Road Jersey from this era.

JUUUUUUUUST a bit outside!

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

In the Mid 80's (1986 tp 1988) Button Jersey Set. (The ones with the horizontal stripes at the bottom of the sleeve.) They said "INDIANS" on the Road Jerseys. That's the set that appears in the First Major League movie.

al_1986_cleveland.gif

The Late 80's/early 90's set. (1989 to 1993.) had the vertical stripes that went from the collar to the end of the sleeve, and they said "CLEVELAND" on the Road Jerseys. That's the set that appears in Major League II. (Ironic that MLII came out the year that The Jake opened.)

al_1989_cleveland.gif

One thing I would like to know is if the jersey numbers worn in the movie were ever actually worn by the Indians.

I wanna say the numbers on the back were a bit thicker in the movie than the ones Cleveland actually wore during the late-80s.

major_league.png

6uXNWAo.png

This thread has quickly become one of my favorites, and it has inspired me to finally getting around to making a Mariners uniform website. I already did one for the Diamondbacks, and I am now working on an M's one. The thing that kept me away for a while was the lack of early Mariners pictures, particularly at home. So if any of you have any pics or resources, I would love 'em!

http://dbacks.freehostia.com/ in case you missed it earlier.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Archived