Indians vs Mariners on July 19

Braden

So two :censored:ty teams decide to wear throwbacks from a mere 20 years ago when nothing spectacular happened to either organization during that time period? Yeah, I'd say throwbacks have definitely gone too far...

Well, I'd say Ken Griffey Jr was pretty spectacular.

Army Commo - "You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the Major League references...

But when I saw those M's uniforms, the first thing I thought of was the Naked Gun (though I realize they wore the road jersey in that flick).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

So two :censored:ty teams decide to wear throwbacks from a mere 20 years ago when nothing spectacular happened to either organization during that time period? Yeah, I'd say throwbacks have definitely gone too far...

Well, I'd say Ken Griffey Jr was pretty spectacular.

Just because they haven't had much good happen to them, doesn't mean they have to be excluded. Who says the jerseys have to mean something? It's just fun to do.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

And these jerseys were in Major League II, though everyone is quoting the first film. The first Major League had Indians' jerseys without shoulder stripes.

As long as Wedge didn't give the team one of those corny win one for Lou Speeches, or act like their best pig just died because they're not doin' so hot.

I do think they looked better with some stirrups shown, and other than that and that I'm not sure they used the right variation of block numbers for the M's front numbers, they did everything quite well. Beautiful, Like lonely snowflake.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

I was thinking of that one too, Curt. If it weren't for my policy about not swearing in casual conversation, I would have mentioned something about Lou's love of all things English, and his desire to move there.

"Hats for bats. Keep bats warm. Gracias"

Sure, the M's jerseys (not to mention the primary logo that went along with it) were pretty plain, but are these really the worst to come out of the 80's? My first game in the Kingdome was in 1981 (one week old), but these were the first uniforms that I really remember on a daily basis, so if nothing else, I was pleased to see these make an appearance. I don't think they should be changing back anytime soon, as their current set is far and away better than anything they have had.

I only wish the game had been on TV here, but Fox only loves the Red Sox, Angels, and Yankees, and for whatever reason they have a monopoly on Saturday afternoon games. They should have tried to switch it to a night game once they found out they weren't being picked for national coverage.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

First off, "Yes" to the teal-billed Mariners cap. Why on earth are they not wearing that as the primary home and road cap right now?

As to the throwbacks, those old M's uniforms may have been unspectacular, but they weren't bad. They're B-minus uniforms at worst. Everything is pretty solid, the script is actually pretty good, and the overall color balance is about perfect for the scheme. The cap logo is below average, to be sure; the double-outline scheme pops on the uniform because the two colors are on a third color (white), whereas on the cap the two colors don't pop because the background matches the inline color, making the whole thing look like a one-color logo with too much outlining. But aside from a poorly executed cap logo, there are no fundamental flaws here. For the era, this was a pretty good uniform, and it stands up well enough today. It shouldn't make anybody's top-ten list, but neither does it deserve to be in any worst-uniforms lists. This uniform is in about the same territory as the modern Mariners, or the Royals or the Phillies: Uniforms that do the job just fine without having any glaring flaws, but also without achieving any real greatness.

20082614447.png

And these jerseys were in Major League II, though everyone is quoting the first film.

"He'll need a rocket up his ass to catch that one."

Satisfied? :D

It's not exact, but....

Brown: "I'm tired of all these excuses, whether it's an arm thing, or a leg thing, or a psychological thing, or a heart attack!"

Taylor: "Who used 'heart attack'?"

Brown: "Me." *collapse*

Harry Doyle: Rick Vaughn gets the starting call today. We're told he matured a lot over the winter...apparently he's bathing now. Congratulations, Rick! As you know Monty, Vaughn's been working on a couple of new pitches. The eliminator and the humiliator to compliment his fastball, the terminator.

Monty: I heard that.

Harry Doyle: Dynamite drop-in Monty! That broadcast school has really paid off.

I love using that phrase "Dynamite drop-in Monty!" whenever I can.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Long live Bob Uecker! ...even if he is for the Brewers. ^_^

Harry Doyle: For the Indians, one run on ... one hit? That's all we got? One g**damn hit?!

Monty: *whispers* You can't say g**damn on the air!

Harry Doyle: Don't worry, nobody's listening anyway.

6uXNWAo.png

Archived