Ottawa MLS Bid - and Bid Logo - Unveiled

Brian in Boston

Eugene Melnyk and Senators Sports & Entertainment have officially launched a bid to bring a Major League Soccer expansion franchise to Ottawa, Ontario. Mr. Melnyk outlined the Ottawa MLS bid, including plans for construction of a new stadium, at a press conference on Tuesday, September 16th. Additionally, Mr. Melnyk unveiled a bid logo and information about the bid's website.

The event took place at Scotiabank Place.

In similar news (which I didn't think would be worth its own topic) Portland launched its own bid last week for both an MLS franchise and a new 8,000-seat stadium for the AAA Portland Beavers.

The Web sites:

www.mlstoportland.com

www.betterbeaversballpark.com

And the story I wrote on the news:

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/storie...01/daily15.html

You know where I think they oughta put an MLS team?

Back in Miami.

Why? Because (not trying to be racist here) the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area has a high Hispanic population and that demographic is optimal for soccer. Also, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is the 16th largest English TV market in the country (and the third largest Hispanic TV market), and big markets = more advertiser appeal and profit. Currently Philadelphia is the largest English market without an MLS team (#4 on the list) but it will soon get one.

ffsfasfd.gifsigyj5.png

In similar news (which I didn't think would be worth its own topic) Portland launched its own bid last week for both an MLS franchise and a new 8,000-seat stadium for the AAA Portland Beavers.

The Web sites:

www.mlstoportland.com

Wow. Shame to lose the downtown park, but that could be great for the Beavers. An east-facing park would have great views of Mt. Hood.

And with Seattle joinging MLS, I think the Timbers would be an excellent companion. Great to keep the rivalry between the teams and cities.

Back in Miami.

Why? Because (not trying to be racist here) the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area has a high Hispanic population and that demographic is optimal for soccer. Also, Miami-Ft. Lauderdale is the 16th largest English TV market in the country (and the third largest Hispanic TV market), and big markets = more advertiser appeal and profit. Currently Philadelphia is the largest English market without an MLS team (#4 on the list) but it will soon get one.

Most of the major cities in the U.S. have large Hispanic populations, though Miami's is one of the largest. However, a large Hispanic population doesn't guarantee success, and most Hispanics choose to remain loyal to teams in their native countries. Look at Chivas USA's attendance figures compared to the rest of the league.

Union.png

Back in Miami.

Florida had two opportunities and both bombed.

Anyway, Montreal has to be a lock. Great fan support, nice venue, ready ownership...

The Web sites:

www.mlstoportland.com

Wow. Shame to lose the downtown park, but that could be great for the Beavers. An east-facing park would have great views of Mt. Hood.

And with Seattle joinging MLS, I think the Timbers would be an excellent companion. Great to keep the rivalry between the teams and cities.

The proposed Beavers ballpark site, however, wasn't chosen for its views. It's in the Lents neighborhood and was chosen largely because the land is owned by the city already. The ballpark is seen as an economic development catalyst for what is considered a downtrodden area.

Good places for MLS expansion right now:

none.

MLS is expanding for the wrong reasons, folks - the franchise fees they are collecting are offsetting annual losses in their operations. This could spell a disaster for the league long-term. If they desire to expand further than they already have, they should wait - at least 4 years from the Philadelphia expansion - before proceeding. Give time for things to develop in the new markets first.

nav-logo.png

Back in Miami.

Miami has a huge Cuban population and the Marlins cant draw at all. Denver has a huge hispanic population and the Rapids cannot draw either. race does not equal an automatic draw.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

This morning Ottawa Senators owner Eugene Melnyk made his bid for a Major League Soccer club official. Melnyk, along with the rest of Senators Sports and Entertainment unveiled plans for a world-class, soccer-specific stadium, to be located next to Scotiabank Place. They also unveiled a bid logo. The logo and other information about the bid can be found at this web site:

http://www.bringtheworldtoottawa.ca/

Wow... that's a surprisingly nice logo. I like it. It's like our city flag with a soccer ball in the middle. Nice that they used the Sens' colours too.

Maybe this soccer-specific stadium could also support a CFL team. (Pretty please Mr. Melnyk)

I was at the press conference and one of the reporters asked a question about whether or not the stadium would be able to house a CFL team. The response was that having the stadium meet the MLS and FIFA requirements is their main priority. They said that they may consider making it CFL-compatible if they have to.

Wow... that's a surprisingly nice logo. I like it. It's like our city flag with a soccer ball in the middle. Nice that they used the Sens' colours too.

Maybe this soccer-specific stadium could also support a CFL team. (Pretty please Mr. Melnyk)

I was at the press conference and one of the reporters asked a question about whether or not the stadium would be able to house a CFL team. The response was that having the stadium meet the MLS and FIFA requirements is their main priority. They said that they may consider making it CFL-compatible if they have to.

AFAIK this is the same situation with BMO Field in Toronto.

Good job with the logo Ottawa MLS, looks fantastic!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Anyway, Montreal has to be a lock. Great fan support, nice venue, ready ownership...

Couldn't agree with you more. If you'd seen their stadium, Stade Saputo, you'd be impressed. Plus they are willing to expand the stadium if and when they do get an MLS franchise.

About Miami...

You cannot say "Hispanic" and assume everyone is a soccer fan. There are huge cultural differences between Cuba, Mexico, Argentina and Puerto Rico. "Hispanic" is an artificial term used to lump all the Spanish speakers together. It would be like using "Anglos" to say that all English-speakers are the same, that folks from Liverpool, Ottawa, Sydney, Capetown, New York, and Cheyenne, Wyoming all love the same sports, eat the same food and have the exact same opinions.

The Caribbean is far more a baseball area than a soccer one. Mexico is about half/half. Miami is not the same hispanic population as Houston or San Diego. So, no, Miami is a BAD choice for soccer. Try St. Louis, Philly or Vancouver first.

Archived