New Minor League Baseball Affiliation Agreements

Brian in Boston

I would not be surprised to see the Nat's with a team in Richmond in 2010.

The Nationals with a Triple-A affiliate in Richmond by 2010? That's not going to happen.

First of all, if the Nationals sign the minimum two-year affiliation deal with Las Vegas, it will carry them through the 2010 season. The first year that a new affiliation could be entered into would be 2011.

Second, what current International League team is going to relocate to Richmond?

My bad on the math. But it might be a case of a team leaving the PCL, rather than an IL team moving. With the trend being keeping affiliates close it only makes sense. As for building a stadium, who knows what white knight might ride into town over the next few years. As to which team would be the most likely candidate, who knows, LV?. That could be its own thread. I just think that the Nats won't let Richmond languish for very long with out trying to find a partner that would want to put a team there. I would offer one name...Cal Ripken. He seems to be building a little empire, now having 3 teams in the fold. He was often mentioned as a potential investor in the Nats in the past.

Wouldn't two teams have to leave the PCL for this plan to come to fruition? Since, by it's very nature baseball requires leagues to have an even number of teams.

True, but one could just change from the PCL to the IL, with out moving. New Orleans, Memphis or Nashville would be a prime candidate.

Yes, but that would create two 15-team leagues, so that would create scheduling problems. I have a feeling we'll be hearing thoughts of making a 3rd AAA league to save on travel this upcoming season, possibly 3 10-team leagues or something like that.

I think gueman is saying that one team could move to Richmond and join the IL and another could remain in place but switch leagues. That would result in two teams changing leagues, though there would only be one geographic move.

Considering how difficult it has been to get Class A leagues to agree to a franchise swap, I doubt AAA leagues would be any more open to a move.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The PCL's Albuquerque Isotopes are now expected to sign a player development agreement with the Los Angeles Dodgers, who haven't been happy with the state of the facilities in Las Vegas, Nevada for quite some time.

Oh nice, the Dodgers are affiliated with Albuquerque once again!

Now, if only ABQ could ditch that hideous Isotopes nickname and revert back to the Dukes. :rolleyes:

I respectfully disagree, the fact alone that it is a Simpsons reference makes it the best nickname in sports.

Most people in the Albuquerque area love the nickname, so you're definitely not in the minority.

In my defense, aside from 'Isotpes' being a bit on the silly-side (as are many minor league nicknames), I just believe 'Dukes' trumps it simply because of it's long and storied Triple-A tradition in Albuquerque, AKA the Duke City.

Any return to the Dukes would be wishful thinking. Besides being popular -- the Isotopes brand is also one of the best selling AAA baseball brands, likely with large thanks to the Simpsons reference -- the rights to the identity were bought by a local guy, who's not likely to sell those right for cheap.

It's a shame, too. While I don't hate the 'Topes identity, I like the Dukes better, especially because of the Albuquerque region's deep ties to Spanish colonialism (hence the name, Duke City). The identity was as classic as you could get for AAA. I went to some of the AAA All-star game festivities in Albuquerque a few years ago, and the Dukes merch they were selling looked and felt kinda cheap to me.

I would not be surprised to see the Nat's with a team in Richmond in 2010.

The Nationals with a Triple-A affiliate in Richmond by 2010? That's not going to happen.

First of all, if the Nationals sign the minimum two-year affiliation deal with Las Vegas, it will carry them through the 2010 season. The first year that a new affiliation could be entered into would be 2011.

Second, what current International League team is going to relocate to Richmond?

My bad on the math. But it might be a case of a team leaving the PCL, rather than an IL team moving. With the trend being keeping affiliates close it only makes sense. As for building a stadium, who knows what white knight might ride into town over the next few years. As to which team would be the most likely candidate, who knows, LV?. That could be its own thread. I just think that the Nats won't let Richmond languish for very long with out trying to find a partner that would want to put a team there. I would offer one name...Cal Ripken. He seems to be building a little empire, now having 3 teams in the fold. He was often mentioned as a potential investor in the Nats in the past.

Wouldn't two teams have to leave the PCL for this plan to come to fruition? Since, by it's very nature baseball requires leagues to have an even number of teams.

True, but one could just change from the PCL to the IL, with out moving. New Orleans, Memphis or Nashville would be a prime candidate.

Yes, but that would create two 15-team leagues, so that would create scheduling problems. I have a feeling we'll be hearing thoughts of making a 3rd AAA league to save on travel this upcoming season, possibly 3 10-team leagues or something like that.

I think gueman is saying that one team could move to Richmond and join the IL and another could remain in place but switch leagues. That would result in two teams changing leagues, though there would only be one geographic move.

Considering how difficult it has been to get Class A leagues to agree to a franchise swap, I doubt AAA leagues would be any more open to a move.

Well they were able to figure out how to absorb the American Association when they disbanded. Plus if you shake enough $$$ it fixes what ever problem an owner may have.

As as long as the central teams, NO, Nash, Mem, and Indy, can be flexible it would allow the "swapping" of east coast and west coast teams if needed. The minors are more dynamic than the majors and with only 2 AAA leagues you would need some teams to remain flexible.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Correct. Only the On-Field elements of the Clippers are changing. The Front Office Staff & Ownership (The Clippers are owned by the County. Franklin County Ohio.) are the same.

Hey Jam? You bring up an interesting point that I've been searching for info on, but really haven't found any - the Clippers are owned by Franklin County; how did that come to be the case, and can you tell me where I might find something on the web in their public records regarding the team's operations?

nav-logo.png

Correct. Only the On-Field elements of the Clippers are changing. The Front Office Staff & Ownership (The Clippers are owned by the County. Franklin County Ohio.) are the same.

Hey Jam? You bring up an interesting point that I've been searching for info on, but really haven't found any - the Clippers are owned by Franklin County; how did that come to be the case, and can you tell me where I might find something on the web in their public records regarding the team's operations?

Coming soon: www.ourcolumbusclippersdream.com

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Another question: Are the Sounds going to stay in Nashville? Any news on a new stadium since the riverfront deal fell through.

I'd say they're there for the time being, but without a stadium deal I bet the future of the team being in Nashville is in doubt.

Well, here's the History of That.

Cooper Stadium (Which just closed) was built as Red Bird Stadium in 1932. The Cardinals built the Stadium. In the early 1950's, The Cardinals pulled out and The City was looking for another MLB Team after taking control. For the first couple of years, It was the Kansas City A's, then for the rest of the 1950's to 1970, it was The Pirates as the Pirated were owned by John Galbraith who was a Columbus Businessman. When the city took control and the Cardinals moved out, the team was re-named the Jets (...and the Stadium was renamed Jet Stadium.) In 1970, Political Infighting & The IRS :censored:ed things up. The IRS ruled since The Jets were considered a non-profit organization, (The Profits usually went to pay for local youth sports programs.) they could not use the profits for badly needed repairs to the stadium. The City Council tried to change the status but City Councilman MD Portman :censored:ed things up by blocking it. The Jets were forced to move.

Eventually, Frankin County took over the Stadium through Eminent Domain. Harold Cooper (Who started out as a clubhouse boy in the 30's and later became GM of the Jets.) was a Franklin County Commissioner and persuaded another team to move to Columbus. With the Stadium repaired, Columbus got Minor League Baseball back in 1977. (Pirates Affiliate. Later a Yankees Affiliate for many years.) The Stadium was renamed Franklin County Stadium. In 1983 or so, it was renamed again after Harold Cooper.

The new Stadium will be Huntington Park. (Huntington Banks bought the naming rights.)

P.S.: There is one Clippers Tradition I hope they bring to the new ballpark... DIME-A-DOG NITE on Monday Home Games.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

The Syracuse Chiefs have reached an agreement with the Washington Nationals. (link)

It's probably farfetched, but I always loved the Syracuse Nats' uniforms and history, and it'd be neat to see some kind of acknowledgement of the legacy of the name Nationals in Syracuse as part of this partnership.

The Syracuse Chiefs have reached an agreement with the Washington Nationals. (link)

It's probably farfetched, but I always loved the Syracuse Nats' uniforms and history, and it'd be neat to see some kind of acknowledgement of the legacy of the name Nationals in Syracuse as part of this partnership.

*laughs at Toronto for not being more "heads up" over the Nats grabbing their affiliate out from under them.*

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

*laughs at Toronto for not being more "heads up" over the Nats grabbing their affiliate out from under them.*

Is it really considered "grabbing their affiliate" and not being "heads up" when Syracuse said "we don't want to be affiliated with you anymore"?... what was Toronto supposed to do?

I also think those comments in that article are quite humourous, such as the fan that says they're better with the Nats because "Toronto hasn't been a contender since the early 90s"... someone should show this man how the Nats have done.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

It was pretty clear the Jays weren't going to be back in Syracuse. The Chiefs' front office had decided a while ago to blame their lack of success on just about every front on the Blue Jays.

I'd imagine the Jays would be more upset about losing out on affiliating with Buffalo, which has infinitely better management than Syracuse and is more convenient to Toronto and its fanbase, than ending their relationship with the Chiefs. Certainly they can't be happy about the prospect of three-plus-hour flights to AAA.

So where does Toronto go? PCL?

Toronto is stuck with the Las Vegas 51s as their new AAA team. Pretty crappy deal. Known as one of the worst stadiums in AAA, blistering heat, and they can no longer call up a player and expect him in Toronto in a couple hours, like Syracuse.

JP Ricciardi has already alluded that this won't last long, and they'll be in the market after their 2-year minimum is up.

51s, Blue Jays ready to 'make best of it'

Cooper Stadium (Which just closed) was built as Red Bird Stadium in 1932. The Cardinals built the Stadium. In the early 1950's, The Cardinals pulled out and The City was looking for another MLB Team after taking control. For the first couple of years, It was the Kansas City A's, then for the rest of the 1950's to 1970, it was The Pirates as the Pirated were owned by John Galbraith who was a Columbus Businessman. When the city took control and the Cardinals moved out, the team was re-named the Jets (...and the Stadium was renamed Jet Stadium.) In 1970, Political Infighting & The IRS :censored:ed things up. The IRS ruled since The Jets were considered a non-profit organization, (The Profits usually went to pay for local youth sports programs.) they could not use the profits for badly needed repairs to the stadium. The City Council tried to change the status but City Councilman MD Portman :censored:ed things up by blocking it. The Jets were forced to move.

Eventually, Frankin County took over the Stadium through Eminent Domain. Harold Cooper (Who started out as a clubhouse boy in the 30's and later became GM of the Jets.) was a Franklin County Commissioner and persuaded another team to move to Columbus. With the Stadium repaired, Columbus got Minor League Baseball back in 1977. (Pirates Affiliate. Later a Yankees Affiliate for many years.) The Stadium was renamed Franklin County Stadium. In 1983 or so, it was renamed again after Harold Cooper.

The new Stadium will be Huntington Park. (Huntington Banks bought the naming rights.)

P.S.: There is one Clippers Tradition I hope they bring to the new ballpark... DIME-A-DOG NITE on Monday Home Games.

That details how the stadium came to be owned by the county, but not the team.

And something about that seems fishy. Not that I doubt you, but the story might have been mixed up - when was it illegal for non-profits to make capital improvements to their property?

New Orleans Zephyrs' affiliation with Florida Marlins is now official:

Zephyrs strike two-year deal with Florida

I'm getting tired of these two-year deals. It'd be nice to have a long-term relationship, like the Cubs/Iowa or the Rockies/Sky Sox.

I think teams that switch affiliations and test out the agreement for 2 years, kind of like a trial basis, and then decide in 2 years to see if it works or if another move is needed.

That details how the stadium came to be owned by the county, but not the team.

And something about that seems fishy. Not that I doubt you, but the story might have been mixed up - when was it illegal for non-profits to make capital improvements to their property?

The City owned the team when they became The Jets (Changing its name from thr Red Birds.) in the 1950's. They bought them from the Cardinals after the Cards left.

The reason why the IRS said that they couldn't use the profits to make repairs to the stadium is because they listed themselves as a non-profit organization since the profits went to the city's youth sports & recreation programs. Because of that, the Jets. Councilman M.D. Portman blocked all efforts to change the financial status of the team, pissing of a lot of people including Mayor Sensenbrenner. (Sensenbrenner was a real Character.)

It was the County (Franklin) that owned (and still owns) the Clippers when baseball came back in 1977. The County acquired the stadium through Eminent Domain.

New Orleans Zephyrs' affiliation with Florida Marlins is now official:

Zephyrs strike two-year deal with Florida

I'm getting tired of these two-year deals. It'd be nice to have a long-term relationship, like the Cubs/Iowa or the Rockies/Sky Sox.

Major League Baseball limits each contract to a maximum of four years.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Archived