New Minor League Baseball Affiliation Agreements

Brian in Boston

It is looking as though the New York Mets are going to announce a player development deal with the International League's Buffalo Bisons. Buffalo has opened-up as a result of the Cleveland Indians shifting their Triple-A affiliation to Columbus, Ohio and the IL's Clippers.

Apparently, taking the Mets place as parent-club to the Pacific Coast League's New Orleans Zephyrs will be the Florida Marlins. The Marlins had been affiliated with Albuquerque.

The PCL's Albuquerque Isotopes are now expected to sign a player development agreement with the Los Angeles Dodgers, who haven't been happy with the state of the facilities in Las Vegas, Nevada for quite some time.

Rumor has it that the Washington Nationals will wind-up inking an affiliation deal with the soon-to-be-rebranded Las Vegas 51s of the PCL. The Nationals had been affilaited with the Columbus Clippers.

Finally, it looks as though the Syracuse Chiefs and Toronto Blue Jays will extend their current deal, though Syracuse had been hoping to snag an affiliation with the Mets.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is looking as though the New York Mets are going to announce a player development deal with the International League's Buffalo Bisons. Buffalo has opened-up as a result of the Cleveland Indians shifting their Triple-A affiliation to Columbus, Ohio and the IL's Clippers.

Apparently, taking the Mets place as parent-club to the Pacific Coast League's New Orleans Zephyrs will be the Florida Marlins. The Marlins had been affiliated with Albuquerque.

The PCL's Albuquerque Isotopes are now expected to sign a player development agreement with the Los Angeles Dodgers, who haven't been happy with the state of the facilities in Las Vegas, Nevada for quite some time.

Rumor has it that the Washington Nationals will wind-up inking an affiliation deal with the soon-to-be-rebranded Las Vegas 51s of the PCL. The Nationals had been affilaited with the Columbus Clippers.

Finally, it looks as though the Syracuse Chiefs and Toronto Blue Jays will extend their current deal, though Syracuse had been hoping to snag an affiliation with the Mets.

Zephyrs with the Marlins, eh? That's what I've been hearing down here as well.

It makes sense. Houston was a great parent club, very close to N.O., but ever since the Astros decided to become more "Texas-centric" with their farm clubs and moved their triple-A affiliation to Round Rock, we've kind of been hanging out there. Although I would've liked to stay on as the Nationals affiliate, the Mets affliation I could see was just a short-term affair.....Other than the Rangers (who have a great deal with the Redhawks), the Braves (who own their triple A affiliate in suburban Gwinnett county) and Tampa Bay (who have had Durham as an affiliate since their inception) the Marlins are probably the closest MLB team to us.

Hopefully this fit will last for a while....

It is what it is.

Gald to see the puzzle pieces fit into place.

Cleveland to Columbus seemed destined to happen, so that opened up Buffalo. I wasn't sure what would happen to Buffalo, and I thought Toronto could work there as well, but the Mets affiliate is back in NY and Syracuse continues their commitment to Cuse.

I think the Nats get the worst end of the deal, but it'll probably be a 2-year contract, leaving the option to realign in 2010 when other options are available.

Oh nice, the Dodgers are affiliated with Albuquerque once again!

Now, if only ABQ could ditch that hideous Isotopes nickname and revert back to the Dukes. :rolleyes:

6uXNWAo.png

Now, if only ABQ could ditch that hideous Isotopes nickname and revert back to the Dukes. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same thing. Bring back the Dukes.

...I think the Nats get the worst end of the deal, but it'll probably be a 2-year contract, leaving the option to realign in 2010 when other options are available.

I would not be surprised to see the Nat's with a team in Richmond in 2010.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Yeah, today on the Buffalo sports radio station WGR550 I heard the mets were close to signing with Buffalo. BUT the Syracuse Chiefs, whose deal with the Jays is expiring, have apparently offered the Mets part ownership in the team if they sign with them.

I was really hoping the Jays would sign with Buffalo. Living only about 25 mins from Dunn Tire Park, I would have loved to go see some up-and-coming Jays in Buffalo in the future. We'll see what happens

I respectfully disagree, the fact alone that it is a Simpsons reference makes it the best nickname in sports.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I respectfully disagree, the fact alone that it is a Simpsons reference makes it the best nickname in sports.

Most people in the Albuquerque area love the nickname, so you're definitely not in the minority.

In my defense, aside from 'Isotpes' being a bit on the silly-side (as are many minor league nicknames), I just believe 'Dukes' trumps it simply because of it's long and storied Triple-A tradition in Albuquerque, AKA the Duke City.

6uXNWAo.png

...I think the Nats get the worst end of the deal, but it'll probably be a 2-year contract, leaving the option to realign in 2010 when other options are available.

Neither would I. But they'd need to build a stadium.

The Nationals with a Triple-A affiliate in Richmond by 2010? That's not going to happen.

First of all, if the Nationals sign the minimum two-year affiliation deal with Las Vegas, it will carry them through the 2010 season. The first year that a new affiliation could be entered into would be 2011.

Second, what current International League team is going to relocate to Richmond?

I was thinking the same thing. Bring back the Dukes.

So was I. (My mom was from Tucumcari NM)

The Indians signing with the Clippers makes perfect sense. The Clippers are also opening a new ballpark (Huntington Field) in the Arena District in Downtown. From what I have seen, It will look nice. A friend of mine works for the local Pepsi Bottler/Distributor and he's been on the Construction Site to do measurements & look at blueprints for Pepsi related items like fountain service, kiosks, etc. and he tells me that it's looking good.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Yeah, today on the Buffalo sports radio station WGR550 I heard the mets were close to signing with Buffalo. BUT the Syracuse Chiefs, whose deal with the Jays is expiring, have apparently offered the Mets part ownership in the team if they sign with them.

I was really hoping the Jays would sign with Buffalo. Living only about 25 mins from Dunn Tire Park, I would have loved to go see some up-and-coming Jays in Buffalo in the future. We'll see what happens

Personally I feel Toronto pairing with Buffalo and the Mets pairing with Syracuse would make the most sense, but either way works I guess

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I would. If Richmond hasn't replaced the existing stadium yet, they won't in the near future.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Nationals with a Triple-A affiliate in Richmond by 2010? That's not going to happen.

First of all, if the Nationals sign the minimum two-year affiliation deal with Las Vegas, it will carry them through the 2010 season. The first year that a new affiliation could be entered into would be 2011.

Second, what current International League team is going to relocate to Richmond?

My bad on the math. But it might be a case of a team leaving the PCL, rather than an IL team moving. With the trend being keeping affiliates close it only makes sense. As for building a stadium, who knows what white knight might ride into town over the next few years. As to which team would be the most likely candidate, who knows, LV?. That could be its own thread. I just think that the Nats won't let Richmond languish for very long with out trying to find a partner that would want to put a team there. I would offer one name...Cal Ripken. He seems to be building a little empire, now having 3 teams in the fold. He was often mentioned as a potential investor in the Nats in the past.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived