New Minor League Baseball Affiliation Agreements

Brian in Boston

New Orleans Zephyrs' affiliation with Florida Marlins is now official:

Zephyrs strike two-year deal with Florida

I'm getting tired of these two-year deals. It'd be nice to have a long-term relationship, like the Cubs/Iowa or the Rockies/Sky Sox.

Major League Baseball limits each contract to a maximum of four years.

Unless the Minor League team is actually owned by it's parent club, as is the case for Springfield. Then, I believe, they don't have to worry about signing player development contracts.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Is there a "real" reason or is it set up so that teams can opt out of crappy situations easier?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Yes, but that would create two 15-team leagues, so that would create scheduling problems. I have a feeling we'll be hearing thoughts of making a 3rd AAA league to save on travel this upcoming season, possibly 3 10-team leagues or something like that.

there was the american association for years that i think split because of ease of scheduling with the increased teams. maybe its because i'm in a city that had an aa team, but if you take the west division of the il and the eastern conference (?)division of the pcl so you had a midwest based aaa league, it would work out a lot better, especially for those teams in the eastern portion of the pacific coast league.

i'm going mainly off memory here, but

memphis

iowa

nashville

new orleans

omaha

oklahoma city

louisville

columbus

indianapolis

toledo

gwinnett co (ex richmond)

looks real good. 10 teams right there (with 7 nl teams which i really like) with the longest distance between two teams being okc to metro atlanta as opposed to tacoma to memphis or providence to durham.

Yes, but that would create two 15-team leagues, so that would create scheduling problems. I have a feeling we'll be hearing thoughts of making a 3rd AAA league to save on travel this upcoming season, possibly 3 10-team leagues or something like that.

there was the american association for years that i think split because of ease of scheduling with the increased teams. maybe its because i'm in a city that had an aa team, but if you take the west division of the il and the eastern conference (?)division of the pcl so you had a midwest based aaa league, it would work out a lot better, especially for those teams in the eastern portion of the pacific coast league.

i'm going mainly off memory here, but

memphis

iowa

nashville

new orleans

omaha

oklahoma city

louisville

columbus

indianapolis

toledo

gwinnett co (ex richmond)

looks real good. 10 teams right there (with 7 nl teams which i really like) with the longest distance between two teams being okc to metro atlanta as opposed to tacoma to memphis or providence to durham.

I did a lot of searching on why the AA disbanded, and I never really found a real "reason" other than owners bitching and being greedy. It seems that when Memphis and Durham became AAA you had 3 leagues fighting for 2 teams. Eventually the American Assocation voted to disband..."for the good of baseball".

That is the 5 cent version anyway. Maybe there are some on here that have more info from 11 years ago.

While 3 leagues seems to make sense on some levels, it seems as though they would rather go with 2. But hey, if they think they can all get ritcher with 3 then 3 it will be. :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

http://wgr550.com/An-Amazin--Partnership/3009266
The Bisons will be made over. The team will change its color scheme to coincide with the Mets blue and orange uniforms.

from the article.

Bisons in Blue and Orange? I don't think that will look good.

Awesome I cant wait to get a Bisons hat I am so gald they are out of Nawlins.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Bisons will be made over. The team will change its color scheme to coincide with the Mets blue and orange uniforms.

from the article.

Awesome I cant wait to get a Bisons hat I am so gald they are out of Nawlins.

Tank, there is no 'voodoo curse'..... :P

It is what it is.

Why? Is there a "real" reason or is it set up so that teams can opt out of crappy situations easier?

Who knows why. (Remember who runs Baseball.) I just read about that rule in the Columbus Dispatch. The article said how officially that it's a four year contract but in reality, it will be a long term relationship.

George Ashburn - My Website

yuku-sp-me-roll.gifyuku-jd-shake.gif

Low-A rumor has the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers switching affiliations to the Brewers from the Mariners.

The press conference by the T-Rats and Brewers is scheduled for tomorrow.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...3072/1979/APC04

The Brewers have made the second move in as many weeks that just makes perfect sense (the first being the firing of Ned Yost). If the Milwaukee expects to compete at the level they've gotten to for an extended period of time, they have to get the entire state behind the Brew Crew. The Timber Rattlers affiliation officially unites the two biggest markets in Wisconsin.

The downside (for me anyway) is that this probably means a reunion between Beloit and Milwaukee probably won't happen. But since the Beloit club's days seem to be numbered anyway (Pohlman Field is on its last legs and it's more-less a forgone conclusion that the new park won't be built in Beloit). I'm also a little disappointed that this isn't a bigger deal in the Milwaukee media (only the Green Bay and Appleton tv stations and newspapers seem to care). But all things considered, this is the best possible outcome.

A quick high-A note: Boston and Houston basically swapped high-A affiliates, with the Sox getting Salem of the Carolina League and the Astros getting Lancaster of the California League...

Not really a surprise considering the Red Sox ownership bought the Salem Avalanche last year. Makes sense for both teams, too.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

from the article.

Bucknell disagrees.

275.198183344_std.gif

Archived