Tampa Bay Rowdies unveil logo

-kj

The new Tampa Bay Rowdies have unveiled their logo and website, tbrowdies.com.

Logo_White%20Background.jpg

Um... fail. 1975? A star before your first game? Just because you bought the rights to a team name from a long-defunct team in a long-defunct league doesn't make this the same team.

Overall, it's just meh. Not so horrible that I want to gouge my eyes out, but awfully generic and dull.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I started to gouge my eyes out, but you talked me out of it.

What I don't like --

1. Basic/plain font when the old school Rowdies font from the 70s is just begging to be used.

2. Weak attempt at beveling around the edge of the shield.

3. Old school soccer ball for a team that never used one (even in its prior incarnation -- if we want to link the teams).

4. Overall plainness (for lack of a better word). There is nothing about the logo that is remotely exciting or eyecatching.

What I like (because Mama always said to talk nice about others) --

1. Green and yellow.

I'll excuse the star and the 1975 even if the new team is not really related to the original NASL team. We'll just pretend that they're like the Cleveland Browns . . . yes, we know they're not really the same team, but we'll pretend they were just on a long hiatus.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I've been one of the loudest supports of Euro-inspired soccer names and badges. But this is a case where I wish they would have stuck to what was right back in the 70s.

The shirts from their NASL days are among my all-time favorite, and clearly highlight the unusual name Rowdies. This is so understated and ... boring. The exact opposite of "rowdy."

Miserable. And really disappointing.

That's not a logo. That's just a shame.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm a Rowdie Fannie from way back-- saw my only NASL game in "the big Sombrero" with some Tampa Bay relatives in 1980, had a Mike McConnell poster on my wall in high school, and even now I wear this shirt:

ROWDIES%20SHIRT.JPG

I didn't even know that the Rowdies were "returning", but as a fan, that logo is just an absolute slap in the face to the history of a great team and original name/look.

Like leopard88 says, the only thing I can say nice is that they use the green and gold-- and that the stripes in the shield echo the sleeve stripes of the old NASL Rowdies. Other than that, this 'logo" is an insult to Rowdie fans everywhere.

It is what it is.

Rowdies Unveil New Logo

The team shield unites Rowdies history and tradition in a contemporary design. ?Drawing inspiration from some of the greatest clubs in the most storied leagues of the world, the Rowdies shield was created to have a long-established look and feel making it unique in the United Soccer League (USL), as you would expect from one of the historic and iconic American soccer clubs,? said Andrew Nestor, president and CEO of the Rowdies.

The star represents the North American Soccer League (NASL) Championship won by the original Rowdies in 1975. At the time, the NASL was the highest professional league in North America (US and Canada) where some of the world?s most notable players appeared. Stripes are a symbolic carry over from the kit of the original Rowdies. Green and yellow colors pay respect to the history and tradition of the team as well. The addition of the navy color sets the new team apart from the former team and the traditional soccer ball honors the legacy of soccer as a world sport.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Rowdies Unveil New Logo
The team shield unites Rowdies history and tradition in a contemporary design. ?Drawing inspiration from some of the greatest clubs in the most storied leagues of the world, the Rowdies shield was created to have a long-established look and feel making it unique in the United Soccer League (USL), as you would expect from one of the historic and iconic American soccer clubs,? said Andrew Nestor, president and CEO of the Rowdies.

The star represents the North American Soccer League (NASL) Championship won by the original Rowdies in 1975. At the time, the NASL was the highest professional league in North America (US and Canada) where some of the world?s most notable players appeared. Stripes are a symbolic carry over from the kit of the original Rowdies. Green and yellow colors pay respect to the history and tradition of the team as well. The addition of the navy color sets the new team apart from the former team and the traditional soccer ball honors the legacy of soccer as a world sport.

Um, yeah. Seems strange that a club that is trying to co-opt the history of a previous club didn't use its very recognizable logo. And unless I'm mistaken, the ASL/A-League Rowdies also used the NASL team's familiar logo from 1988 to 1993. Since they are stitching together a fake history, why not tie all three together?

You know, say what you will about America. Thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a load of mice.

Archived