MLB Playoffs

gingerbreadmann

SRO tickets look like they're going for around $500. If they come down to around $250 - $300, I'll probably have to grab one.

I wonder if they'll have the blue flag already hung before game 3 starts? I'd guess so, but there's not really any precedent to go by.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Congrats, Philly. I'm a Dodger fan, but I'm also a Jamie Moyer fan, so I'll be pullin' for the Phils.

You're also a Brian Barrish fan. ^_^

And BBtV must obviously not travel the Boulevard that often -- 12 lanes of traffic!

philly.png

Congrats, Philly. I'm a Dodger fan, but I'm also a Jamie Moyer fan, so I'll be pullin' for the Phils.

You're also a Brian Barrish fan. ^_^

And BBtV must obviously not travel the Boulevard that often -- 12 lanes of traffic!

Like I said, the NE is like another world to me - no reason to go up there. I've been to C&Ps on the Blvd. a few times, so I'm a little familliar with all the crossovers and other crap on that road, and the infamous intersection at Grant. If you don't live or work in the NE, is there really any reason to ever venture out there? Living in MYK, I'm usually in Rittenhouse, Center City, Old City, or South Philly (or NoLibs back in my younger days.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wonder if they'll have the blue flag already hung before game 3 starts? I'd guess so, but there's not really any precedent to go by.

The Jays flew the '93 AL Champs banner during the '93 World Series back in '93... 93!

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I've been to the Mills. I'm glad I live in an area where I don't have to shop in that kind of environment. *

*I did pick up a sweeeet $600 Ralph Lauren raincoat there for $100 though.

Some of the classy fans from the North East arrested on Frankford near Cottman:

081016_fans_001.JPG

081016_fans_008.JPG

A more civil gathering of fans in the same area:

081016_fans_004.JPG

I'm sure the fans of Tampa will be just as excited :rolleyes:

081016_fans_002.JPG

The Jays flew the '93 AL Champs banner during the '93 World Series back in '93... 93!

Two things the 2008 World Series will have in common with 1993 ... the Phillies, and Pat Gillick!

Speaking of Gillick, in the post-game celebratory interview glut, he deflected credit for the makeup of the roster to his predecessor as general manager, Ed Wade. While technically correct (Wade was at the helm when the core of this team was formed) it's still weird to hear someone so universally reviled among Phils fans be spoken of positively.

Me? I'm just pleased to see that the creation of the white banner didn't jinx the Phillies. I wonder if the outfield discs that used to mark the levels of championship seasons still exist anywhere ...

phavet3.jpg

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Two things the 2008 World Series will have in common with 1993 ... the Phillies, and Pat Gillick!

Speaking of Gillick, in the post-game celebratory interview glut, he deflected credit for the makeup of the roster to his predecessor as general manager, Ed Wade. While technically correct (Wade was at the helm when the core of this team was formed) it's still weird to hear someone so universally reviled among Phils fans be spoken of positively.

Me? I'm just pleased to see that the creation of the white banner didn't jinx the Phillies. I wonder if the outfield discs that used to mark the levels of championship seasons still exist anywhere ...

phavet3.jpg

I loved those disks, and wish they could have displayed them somewhere in the Bank, even if indoors somewhere. The flags are OK, but a little too subtle for my tastes. Maybe I underestimate the intelligence of the average Phillies fan, but since they only have the year on them, it takes a little bit of thinking to understand what the colors mean. Not a lot, but just enough to pose a problem for your average Joe Sixpack.

Joe Sixpack.

Joe the Plumber.

Anywho! Pat Gillick has a history of taking a team to the playoffs and then leaving them in ruins... Jays, Orioles, Mariners all were playoff teams under his watch, and all have never made the playoffs since he left.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Joe Sixpack.

Joe the Plumber.

Anywho! Pat Gillick has a history of taking a team to the playoffs and then leaving them in ruins... Jays, Orioles, Mariners all were playoff teams under his watch, and all have never made the playoffs since he left.

While that is certainly true, the core of this team (Utlely, Rollins, Howard, Victorino, Hamels, Myers, etc.) was in the system prior to his arrival (and all are either signed for a while or not eligible to leave.) I think Lidge is the only "star" that he was responsible for. He filled in the gaps with guys like Pedro Feliz, Jason Werth, Greg Dobbs, etc. but the team would be a winner (granted, not a playoff winner) without him. It's hard to imagine them in "ruins" for at least a few more seasons (though I'm not looking forward to the Ruben Amaro Jr. GM (AKA Ed Wade 2.0) era.)

Franklin Mills and Steve's Steaks, baby!

But then again, I left all of that for West Philly and I'm pretty happy.

I'm sure we've gone over this before, but the Steve's you're referring to is diff'rent from the one on South Street, correct? Steve's is where I always go on South.

And, on another note, I had Tony Lukes when I went to Game 1 of the Brewers' series....not impressed. Granted, it was Citizens' Bank Tony Lukes, but still, not doing it for me.

Why do they call it "winning the pennant"? Is there an actual "official" pennant that they're playing for?

Why do they call it "winning the pennant"? Is there an actual "official" pennant that they're playing for?

At one time there was no trophy for winning in the AL and NL so you got to raise a pennant/banner.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived