Wachovia Center to recieve yet another namechange!?

BadSeed84

Madison Square Garden will face this soon with their WaMu (Washington Mutual) Theater.

This is why I deeply distrust corporate naming rights. After a couple name changes, the identification becomes meaningless. Not to mention places like Enron Field, which feel compelled to conduct a Stalinist purge of their own history because they took money from the wrong company.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If stadiums MUST sell out, either take cue from the Browns and Packers and sell the naming rights to the gates instead or sell the rights to the actual playing area a-la Invesco Field @ Mile High. That way, signs/maps/etc. don't have to get changed every time corporations change their name and the venues still have a consistent identity that can be quickly associated with a particular team.

Madison Square Garden will face this soon with their WaMu (Washington Mutual) Theater.

This is why I deeply distrust corporate naming rights. After a couple name changes, the identification becomes meaningless. Not to mention places like Enron Field, which feel compelled to conduct a Stalinist purge of their own history because they took money from the wrong company.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

If stadiums MUST sell out, either take cue from the Browns and Packers and sell the naming rights to the gates instead or sell the rights to the actual playing area a-la Invesco Field @ Mile High. That way, signs/maps/etc. don't have to get changed every time corporations change their name and the venues still have a consistent identity that can be quickly associated with a particular team.

At Lincoln Financial Field, the Eagles have sold the name of the stadium (LFF obviously), gates (Chrysler-Jeep Gate), a section (Pepsi Section), the Clubs (SCA Club, Chrysler Premier Club formerly the Mercedez Club), and the Miller Light Phlite Deck.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

All this sponsorship begs a question for me.

1.The government bought out AIG.

2. AIG is the sponsor on Manchester United's jerseys.

So does that mean the US government could potenially put the flag or other symbol of the US on ManU's kits?

I'm sure the Glazers wouldn't mind. :P

EDIT-and then watch Abramovich put up the Russian flag or Gazprom's logo on Chelsea.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

All this sponsorship begs a question for me.

1.The government bought out AIG.

2. AIG is the sponsor on Manchester United's jerseys.

So does that mean the US government could potenially put the flag or other symbol of the US on ManU's kits?

At the rate its going they might end up holding the mortgage over Liverpool as well depending on how "toxic" an asset Wachovia's new owners determines that loan to be.

liverpool-1.png

Here's a novel concept.... name an arena after someone and end this corporate madness!!

As soon as they pony up the money.

All we need is $50 and a dream...

I had a dream last night. Two monkeys on unicycles were chasing me.

You too?!? :D I say they call it the Forclosure Forum, or the Sub Prime Palace or even Fannie Mae Place featuring Barney's Franks.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived