Wachovia Center to recieve yet another namechange!?

BadSeed84

On September 29, 2008, Citigroup purchased all Wachovia banking operations during the 2008 subprime mortgage crisis, and for the Wachovia Center, it is expected that another name change will occur.

So this will be the 4th name!

Coorestates Center (96-98)

First Union Center (98-03)

Wachovia Center (03-08)

Citi Center or Citibank Center (08 or 09-????)

Also will be the 4th name for the Wachovia Arena in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Northeastern Pennsylvania Civic Arena

First Union Arena at Casey Plaza

Wachovia Arena at Casey Plaza

Citi Arena at Casey Plaza or Citibank Arena at Casey Plaza

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The companies would not comment on whether the deal would mean a new name for Philadelphia's Wachovia Center, home to the Sixers and Flyers. Wachovia is not selling its A.G. Edwards brokerage division or Evergreen Investments operations.

So there will be Citi Center and Citi Spectrum (next to Citizens Bank Park) as part of the Comcast Complex. They should change the name to the Alliteration Complex.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Madison Square Garden will face this soon with their WaMu (Washington Mutual) Theater.

This is why I deeply distrust corporate naming rights. After a couple name changes, the identification becomes meaningless. Not to mention places like Enron Field, which feel compelled to conduct a Stalinist purge of their own history because they took money from the wrong company.

Citi Center sounds like it's in the city centre - which may not be bad, but a little confusing in conversation.

A: Where you headed?

B: Citi Center.

A: Dude, it's going to be packed. Flyers' home opener is tonight.

B: That's where I'm going.

A: But you said you're going to the city center?

B: No - I'm going to the Citi Centre. Arena. Flyers. Duh.

A: What douche named it that?

Citi Center sounds like it's in the city centre - which may not be bad, but a little confusing in conversation.

A: Where you headed?

B: Citi Center.

A: Dude, it's going to be packed. Flyers' home opener is tonight.

B: That's where I'm going.

A: But you said you're going to the city center?

B: No - I'm going to the Citi Centre. Arena. Flyers. Duh.

A: What douche named it that?

Even worse is that the Citi Center is >8 miles from Center City.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Madison Square Garden will face this soon with their WaMu (Washington Mutual) Theater.

This is why I deeply distrust corporate naming rights. After a couple name changes, the identification becomes meaningless. Not to mention places like Enron Field, which feel compelled to conduct a Stalinist purge of their own history because they took money from the wrong company.

Chase Theater at Madison Square Garden????? Ugh :P

Citi Center, umm that sounds ok

On a side note, the Raiders' stadium lost the "McAfee" branding and is back to the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum (for the foreseable future, I can't imagine any company in good conscience would pay for naming rights in today's economic climate - and if they do, they deserve to go under).

Archived