MiLB 2009 - New Identities

darkshadow1031

This offseason has already seen alot of affiliate changes in AAA:

Cleveland to the Columbus Clippers

Washington to the Syracuse Chiefs

Toronto to the Las Vegas 51s (changing name)

Los Angeles to the Albuquerque Isotopes

Florida to the New Orleans Zephyrs

New York Mets to the Buffalo Bisons

Besides the Las Vegas change, have we heard anything else about name/logo changes by the new affiliates?

ESPNUAkron.jpg2002-2006 ALUMNI 2007-2009 ESPNUSeton.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This offseason has already seen alot of affiliate changes in AAA:

Cleveland to the Columbus Clippers

Washington to the Syracuse Chiefs

Toronto to the Las Vegas 51s (changing name)

Los Angeles to the Albuquerque Isotopes

Florida to the New Orleans Zephyrs

New York Mets to the Buffalo Bisons

Besides the Las Vegas change, have we heard anything else about name/logo changes by the new affiliates?

The 51s will not be changing their name

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=61484

Already a thread on this subject. Anyways, where have you heard Vegas will remain the 51's? Everything I've read points to a change.

'

In the articles about the Jays flipping to Vegas, several quotes from the team execs saying they put the plans on hold after they heard the Dodgers were leaving and now it is too late to order new merchandise, etc.

---

Chris Creamer

The Bisons will be changing their logos and uniforms to coincide with the Mets which just adds to the travesty that this affiliation change has brought. It's been 20 years of not looking like our parent club; I just hope we don't play like them.

How is this such a travesty? The Indians seem to be the ones that wanted to move. Also, this paves the way for blue to become a part of the Bisons identity again and offers a chance to get rid of their Christmas-like current set. If this brings back the late 80's-early 90's uniforms or some sort of updated take on a retro look, I'm all for it.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

The Bisons will be changing their logos and uniforms to coincide with the Mets which just adds to the travesty that this affiliation change has brought. It's been 20 years of not looking like our parent club; I just hope we don't play like them.

How is this such a travesty? The Indians seem to be the ones that wanted to move. Also, this paves the way for blue to become a part of the Bisons identity again and offers a chance to get rid of their Christmas-like current set. If this brings back the late 80's-early 90's uniforms or some sort of updated take on a retro look, I'm all for it.

exactly. that team has possibly one of the ugliest color combinations i have ever laid eyes on. their throwbacks are some of the best ive ever seen, and i hope they dont discard those, but if i ever go to another game and see them wearing Hawaiian shirt jerseys i think i will stop going to see them.

i for one welcome the change. the last time i liked anything the bisons did (minus the throwbacks) was the t-shirt jerseys that were modeled after the white sox jerseys in the 80's.

2004RedSox.png

I never liked the "Christmas Tree" color scheme. The Bisons wore Royal & Red when the Mets were their parent team in 1963 and 1964, then changed to Cardinal Red during the Cincinnati years from 1965-68 and kept those uniforms until the team booked to Winnipeg in mid-season 1970.

My all time favorite Bisons uniforms were the Tigers style that they wore from the 1950s-1963 when the Metsies came in to the Ol' Rockpile (War Memorial Stadium) the first time. The Tiger-style home Whites had the Navy Old English "B" on the left chest while the road Greys had "Buffalo" in a nice Pro-Style Navy script. Simple, classic. First-class all the way.

And hey, you yahoos. Leave the Red Wings alone! Since 1928 they've had only three, count 'em, THREE parent teams. St. Louis Cardinals (1928-60), Baltimore (1961-2003) and Minnesota (2004-present). The Red Wings are one of only a few Minor League clubs that know what the hell they're doing and consistently make money. And players always say Rochester is a great place to play. Over the years they've had many great players-Musial, Schoendienst, Gibson, Ripken, Palmer, Davey Johnson, Powell, Baylor, Grich, Mussina, Schilling, Mauer, Cuddyer, Liriano, Tom Kelly and Morneau.

Rochester treats their players right and has NEVER played musical franchises when it comes to parent teams. They set the standard for which all these other rinky-dink teams can only dream about. Get off their backs. Minnesota will be in the Flower City by the banks of the Genesee River for a long, long, long time! :mad:

It sure would make more sense for Toronto to have the Rochester Red Wings and the Twins to go to Vegas.

That might have made sense if Rochester's PDC with the Twins was expring. Rochester will be available after the 2010 season.

Which is when Toronto is once-again available, so we could see something happen there. I'm really disappointed the Jays ended up with Vegas, I really enjoyed going on road trips to either Syracuse or seeing them on the road in Buffalo or Ottawa to see the future Blue Jays play.

I suppose I'll now have to try and see the Fisher Cats when they come out to Erie.

---

Chris Creamer

RE: Syracuse Chiefs

Will the Syracuse team still be called the Chiefs? Yes. Chiefs general manager John Simone said he wouldn't rule out eventually exploring changing the team's name to the Nationals, which would hearken back to the NBA championship franchise that used to play in Syracuse. But he said Major League Baseball requires at least a year's notice for all name changes, ruling it out for the 2009 season.

Will the uniforms change? Simone said the team will develop an alternate jersey and logo to reflect the affiliation with Washington. These jerseys could be worn a couple times a month, maybe more. He said the new look should be available in stores by the holiday season. The regular home and away jerseys will remain the same.

(source)

Will the Syracuse team still be called the Chiefs? Yes. Chiefs general manager John Simone said he wouldn't rule out eventually exploring changing the team's name to the Nationals, which would hearken back to the NBA championship franchise that used to play in Syracuse. But he said Major League Baseball requires at least a year's notice for all name changes, ruling it out for the 2009 season.

Will the uniforms change? Simone said the team will develop an alternate jersey and logo to reflect the affiliation with Washington. These jerseys could be worn a couple times a month, maybe more. He said the new look should be available in stores by the holiday season. The regular home and away jerseys will remain the same.

(source)

So Blue Jays styled jerseys with a new affiliation -- weird. My money's on them wearing those Nats alts a more often then a couple of times a month.

---

Chris Creamer

(source)

So Blue Jays styled jerseys with a new affiliation -- weird. My money's on them wearing those Nats alts a more often then a couple of times a month.

That's quite weird, because when the Nationals were affilated with the Columbus Clippers, the Clippers primary home and road unis had somewhat retained the Yankee-ish look, since they used to be affiliated with the New York Yankees.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived