Wafflebowl I

Waffles

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They said a bit earlier it was ok... i'm doing atlanta and UPS

I left it at work and can't post till monday.. when was the deadline???

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Atlanta Eagles FC as sponsored by Delta. Worked better colorwise that Coke. The logo is kind of crappy, but Euro logos usually aren't the rock em sock style logo but rather more subdued. the only part I wound up using from my family crest is the banner at the bottom which says "Mullach Abu" which is Gaelic for "Onward to Victory".

Double blue Hooah!

Okay, here's my entry from N'Awlins:

Hibernia New Orleans F.C.:

Hibernia%20kits.jpg

And here's my probably too lengthy explanation:

For those unaware, "Hibernia" is the old Roman name for Ireland. Hibernia Bank is one of only two Fortune 500 companies in New Orleans (a Gulf South regional bank that's growing), so that fit into the sponsorship deal. The bank was founded way back in New Orleans by second-generation Irish immigrants. It should be noted that the Irish are and have been a major ethnic group in the Big Easy (we're not all Creoles and Cajuns). Many Irish came to the city to build the New Basin Canal, and there is a noted section of the city called the "Irish Channel".

I also noted that there is a Hibernians FC in Edinburgh, Scotland, which was founded by Irish relocatees to that city WAY back in the day, like the turn of the century. So it's sort of similar in name to a European team.

SO, here's my storyline. In the alternate Waffles-universe where the European model for soccer teams evolved and developed in the USA, Hibernia Bank and Hibernia FC were both founded by immigrant Irish here in New Orleans, and with a symbiotic realtionship, both flourished over time.

The Hibernia crest was developed around the turn of the century. It features the Irish Shamrock (in green, of course) and two gold fleur-de-lis for the city of New Orleans. Originally it was three Fleur-de-lis, simlar to those found on the city flag, but with the completion of the Hibernia Bank Building in 1928, one fleur was removed and replaced with the Hibernia Bank tower, which still exists today and is the company logo. The gold crescent represents the crescent city, and is similar (though reversed) from the crescent on the New Orleans Police Department badge. Many early Irish-descended FC players (like their Irish counterparts in other cities) were city policemen.

Hibernia FC is also colloquially called "the Irish" or "Fighting Irish". The kits (uniforms) include the company name, the crest on the chest (has always looked almost like it was a big dot for the "I"), and the tower logo on the shorts.

(As an aside, the high school soccer team I played for was also the Fighting Irish, and green and gold were our colors, as well. The Hibernia kits also bear a STRONG resemblance to my favorite NASL team of youth, the Tampa Bay Rowdies. Their kits had the same turn-of-the century old-timey look I wanted for Hibernia FC.)

It is what it is.

Here is my kit, heavily influenced by their sponsor.

ups_atlanta_soccer.gif

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

With this as my first post in this thread, I have to say how impressed I am by the talent on this board. I enjoy seeing such concepts being brought to life, especially the Alaskan one (could someone do Hawaii?). I'm also a fan of certain corporate logos and the implementation of them into sports is always interesting IMO.

Paynomind, your kit is humorous and creative. I'd just change the UPS logo or perhaps tone down the yellow to a tan to better reflect the inspiration.

I changed my Atlanta Eagles a little. Crest eagle is different and the shorts are now navy. If there is one thing I learned from RC, it's that the shorts(even though he is saying this about hockey) should be the darkest color in the scheme. Thus the switch from royal to navy.

Same link, but here it is. Eagles

Paynomind, I actually dig that concept. I would've used the new UPS logo instead of the old one, though... and maybe have three vertical stripes on the shirt, to match the shorts and the socks.

Thanks, hriv..

Truth be told, I simply couldnt find the new on in vector.

The single stripe is to pay hommage to the england jersey, but looking at it, i see what you mean... i'm wondering if that wouldn't be too much... hmmm.. thanks for the input.

ΓΔΒ!

First up, is the Saint Paul City Football Club, nicknamed "The Irish", based on the early Irish immigrants of St. Paul.

I thought about going with "The Shamrocks", but "The St. Paul City Shamrocks" just seemed like too much of a tounge twister. I could just hear the hooligans from Minneapolis chanting "Shi**y Shamrocks" from the terraces. They probably will on their own, but I didn't want to point them in that direction right from the start.

The Home jersey is a vertical stripe design based on the horizontal green bands of the Celtic FC of Glasgow Scotland. Next is the away jersey, based on not much of anything but my own puttering. Last is the third jersey, also just something I came up with on my own.

spcfc-h.jpgspcfc-a.jpg

spcfc-t.jpg

I have more to follow later from the rivals on the other side of the river in Minneapolis. Stay tuned...

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Question for everyone with multiple submissions:

Do you want your separate entries to be judged individually or as part of a group? In other words, should the voting go to the concepts or the creators?

I vote: one person - one entry

Make multiples enter one uni for judging.

But thats just my vote.

ΓΔΒ!

United Waffles' Cavalcade of Footy Kits, So Enter All You Have!.

Footy?

I'm not sure that is the most masculine way to put it.

ΓΔΒ!

Archived