Bad Design Trends

MG helmets

There are a lot of good comments in here. I agree with most of them. But I still have a few more things I don't like:

1. No more stirrups in baseball. Stirrups should be brought back. Look at pictures of Mickey Mantle, and that's the way baseball players should look.

Why?

i dont like stirrups, maybe because im only 16, but i definetly think players should show thier socks. we were taught in little league to have the socks shown, i always did that...i hated having my pants all the way down.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great thread.

Here's a few I've not seen mentioned yet:

1. Missing TV numbers on college football jerseys (NFL requires them)

2. No names on the back of football jerseys (not so much a design issue I admit, but makes watching a game on TV harder for the fans)

3. "Patch clutter" - too many tributes, etc.

4. "Top heavy" football uniforms - the pants should not be a darker color than the helmets...Tenn Titans are the worst offenders.

5. Baseball uniforms in any color besides white or gray

Great thread.

2. No names on the back of football jerseys (not so much a design issue I admit, but makes watching a game on TV harder for the fans)

4. "Top heavy" football uniforms - the pants should not be a darker color than the helmets...Tenn Titans are the worst offenders.

To kinda piggy-back off the no names on the back statement, I can't for the life of me remember what college I was watching last weekend, but they had their teams nickname on the back where the players name would go. It looked very high schoolish.

I'm pretty sure I don't agree with this, but I guess I'm weird. I simply love the navy pants with the columbia jerseys (which have navy shoulders), and I'd love it more if they had white socks. It'd be a great "bracketing" effect (I don't really have a better term for it).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Great thread.

To kinda piggy-back off the no names on the back statement, I can't for the life of me remember what college I was watching last weekend, but they had their teams nickname on the back where the players name would go. It looked very high schoolish.

Might have been Utah State. I know they have "Aggies" spelled out on the back--quite largely, too.

I also know that FAMU did this same thing for a while, spelling out "Rattlers" on the nameplates.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Great thread.

Might have been Utah State. I know they have "Aggies" spelled out on the back--quite largely, too.

I also know that FAMU did this same thing for a while, spelling out "Rattlers" on the nameplates.

Yep, thanks. It was Aggies. Not a big fan of it.

Not to mention, it's pretentious as hell.

The Yankees get a free pass because they're the Yankees, but for everyone else, the "WE play for the name on the front, not the name on the back" thing is pretentious, yes. You just know the Patriots would do it if they could get away with it, too.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Wearing big pants isn't really a Bad Design Trend, per se, since they're not being designed as such. Manny Ramirez just happens to wear oversized pants like the models from the diet commercials that show how big their old pants were.

Manny's pants weren't designed to be warn that way (i.e. to the cleats)? How long would the legs have to be for the guy those pants were designed for then?

Not to mention, it's pretentious as hell.

The Yankees get a free pass because they're the Yankees, but for everyone else, the "WE play for the name on the front, not the name on the back" thing is pretentious, yes. You just know the Patriots would do it if they could get away with it, too.

The "Yankees" get a free pass? Please.

How about any team that has at least 100 years of history can do it. How about even just 75 years of history? That works too.

The Red Sox do it the RIGHT way. They only have the names on the ROAD uniform, which is how it should be. No need for the names at home. I've always liked that and wished more teams would follow that design.

Its far from pretentious for a team with their history to do it. Now, if we're talking about a team like the Marlins or Rays then thats a different story.

Elasta-belt baseball pants.

And while we're in the late 70s/early 80s ... all powder blue baseball road unis. (The Royals and Jays were the only ones who were remotely close to making it work)

Maybe it's because it was the look I grew up with, but I always liked the Brewers powder blues. I'd rather see modern powder blues downs than grey forced into a color scheme that it doesn't flow with.

The first thing that comes to mind for me is the cartoony/huge logo on front jersey trend the NBA went with in the 90's. Teams like Houston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Utah, Atlanta, etc.. all suffered through this period.

Amen. I'd also add this one to that category...

ne2f65aat3mxtie5gzqkq2nyw.gif

SnapHookSig_435x108.jpg

Archived