oregon blackout

Krona

Who cares who has what color, the fact is we have had black in the uniforms since Joey Harrington. Sure there was no black in the Kellen Clemens uniform era, but black has been worked into our color palette when the first major nike rebranding was done. Its a fact that black and yellow look better than black and orange, so who cares if OSU wears black, so does Utah, doesn't mean anything to us. That being said, I think that we should definitely make a green version and most likely there will be a yellow and white version, it'll be interesting how they color everything. I just wish they'd add a feather pattern down the side of the pants or something.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who cares who has what color, the fact is we have had black in the uniforms since Joey Harrington. Sure there was no black in the Kellen Clemens uniform era, but black has been worked into our color palette when the first major nike rebranding was done. Its a fact that black and yellow look better than black and orange, so who cares if OSU wears black, so does Utah, doesn't mean anything to us.

That's like arguing it would be ok for the Packers to work purple into their scheme because it looks better. Sorry, but that argument isn't going to work.

Green and yellow are your colors.

Not silver.

Not black.

Oregon, you look ridiculous.

You ever heard of rebranding? Didn't think so.

You don't "rebrand" a COLLEGE. Part of the school pride is in wearing the colors, in Oregon's case green and yellow. It's probably worth mentioning that black is one of Oregon State's colors, who just happen to be Oregon's biggest rival. That would be like my school, the University of Minnesota, taking the field in red, one of Wisconsin's colors. That just wouldn't be right.

Wrong. Washington.

Huh. Don't I feel a bit silly. That'll teach me to guess about rivalries I have no clue about, now won't it? :P

Not to derail this too much, but is the Oregon/Oregon State/Washington thing sort of like Minnesota/Wisconsin/North Dakota in hockey? For those who wonder what I mean, if you ask Minnesota hockey fans who the Gophers' biggest rival is, the answer seems to break down along age lines. Fans 40 and up will ALWAYS answer Wisconsin, and fans under 40 will answer North Dakota. I'm 30, and I have a blinding hatred for the Sioux, but have much less animosity towards the Badgers. Some of the older guys in my group won't even set foot in Wisconsin for any reason, though.

Are you talking about metallic gold vs. athletic gold? Not the strongest argument you could have made, considering that it's haggling over shades, and the University of Washington has had the same basic color system for 120 years. A better one might be Colorado's introduction of light blue in the 1980s.

Still, a couple of examples to the contrary hardly makes him "Wrong." That a few schools among hundreds were willing to sell out their heritage doesn't change the long tradition in this country of schools settling on a color scheme and defending it forever. Similarly, it's not unknown for countries to change their national colors, but it usually indicates national dysfunction and internal trouble when they do.

I don't mind adding accent colors as needed, but Nike's Oregon blackout is a slap in the face. Be true to your school, boys. Be true to your school.

If anyone wants to see the difference between Vegas Gold and Athletic Gold and other golds, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_(color)

I'm a geek for things like this. I guess that's why I'm a graphic designer and loved my color theory class! :D

Who cares who has what color, the fact is we have had black in the uniforms since Joey Harrington. Sure there was no black in the Kellen Clemens uniform era, but black has been worked into our color palette when the first major nike rebranding was done. Its a fact that black and yellow look better than black and orange, so who cares if OSU wears black, so does Utah, doesn't mean anything to us. That being said, I think that we should definitely make a green version and most likely there will be a yellow and white version, it'll be interesting how they color everything. I just wish they'd add a feather pattern down the side of the pants or something.

A fact? Isn't that subjective?

The Ducks debuted a new set of black, stretch cordura uniforms tonight against Arizona. Nike vice president for design and special projects Tinker Hatfield said the wings on the jerseys developed from a functional problem of durability in the shoulder pads, with a new pattern in the shape of the wings addressing that.

?.huh? how does screenprinting on the fabric fix a shoulder pad issue?.?

well we just got new uniforms this year at my high school, from Pro-Look. they make their jerseys from a 3rd party nike fabric supplier, and after one game the shoulders were beat up bad with rips in some and weird indentations that wouldn't go away...and possibly the wings alleviated this problem.

uwv.pngtheU.png

The Ducks debuted a new set of black, stretch cordura uniforms tonight against Arizona. Nike vice president for design and special projects Tinker Hatfield said the wings on the jerseys developed from a functional problem of durability in the shoulder pads, with a new pattern in the shape of the wings addressing that.

Obviously they aren't screenprinted

A fact? Isn't that subjective?

rich, that was my thought as well. Whether one color looks better than another is nearly the height of subjectivity.

Not silver.

Not black.

You don't "rebrand" a COLLEGE. Part of the school pride is in wearing the colors, in Oregon's case green and yellow. It's probably worth mentioning that black is one of Oregon State's colors, who just happen to be Oregon's biggest rival. That would be like my school, the University of Minnesota, taking the field in red, one of Wisconsin's colors. That just wouldn't be right.

Wrong. Washington.

Huh. Don't I feel a bit silly. That'll teach me to guess about rivalries I have no clue about, now won't it? :P

Not to derail this too much, but is the Oregon/Oregon State/Washington thing sort of like Minnesota/Wisconsin/North Dakota in hockey? For those who wonder what I mean, if you ask Minnesota hockey fans who the Gophers' biggest rival is, the answer seems to break down along age lines. Fans 40 and up will ALWAYS answer Wisconsin, and fans under 40 will answer North Dakota. I'm 30, and I have a blinding hatred for the Sioux, but have much less animosity towards the Badgers. Some of the older guys in my group won't even set foot in Wisconsin for any reason, though.

I'm sure if you asked Sioux fans, they would say Minnesota 110% of the time too. Same thing for Beaver fans, they all dislike Oregon more than anyone else. Oregon fans in my experience don't have much animosity towards the Beavers it might be due to the 26 straight losing seasons in a row and Washington simply being better during the time most of us grew up. Nothing brings me more joy than Washington getting the crap kicked out of them. I'm going to watch the Apple Cup rooting for the Cougs all the way; however I want the beavers to beat Arizona so if they beat us, we won't look so bad and they'll get into the Rose Bowl.

Not silver.

Not black.

Wrong. Washington.

I'm sure if you asked Sioux fans, they would say Minnesota 99% of the time too (with an occasional NDSU I'd guess). Same thing for Beaver fans, they all dislike Oregon more than anyone else. Oregon fans in my experience don't have much animosity towards the Beavers it might be due to the 26 straight losing seasons in a row and Washington simply being better during the time most of us grew up. Nothing brings me more joy than Washington getting the crap kicked out of them. I'm going to watch the Apple Cup rooting for the Cougs all the way; however I want the beavers to beat Arizona so if they beat us, we won't look so bad and they'll get into the Rose Bowl.

Ducks and Beavers alike don't have as much animosity toward each other for several reasons:

1) It's likely that your best friend from high school is going to the other school.

2) It's likely that someone in your family (or your entire family, in HarperDC's case) went to the other school, and you go to the opposite.

3) OSU and UO are only 35 minutes away from each other up I-5.

4) It's likely that due to the proximity of a school, you'll hook up with someone from the opposite and/or date someone from the opposite school.

5) It's likely that you'll get your undergrad degree at one school, and get your advanced degree from the opposite school.

6) Oregonians (much like Montanans) have a general geneality towards each other and support our state with pride.

7) When we're not competing against each other, we root for the other school to succeed, as part of that state pride.

8) We really hate the Washington schools...

OD_Signature.jpg

Oregon State is little brother; Washington athletics are the devil incarnate. (Note I said "athletics." Their academics are goddamned good, but anything to do with purple and gold and a playing field can go f*** itself).

It's Red Sox - Yankees hate. Why do we hate them? Because they voted Cal into the Rose Bowl instead of us in the '50s? Sure. Because they were the only good team in the northwest for aaaaaaaages (also explaining a lack of animosity, in general, toward Cougar fans)? Yeah. Because they're in the middle of Seattle, and for a long time, that was worth hatred? Yeah, but this has lessened in recent years as Portland has grown, and UO has seen more out-of-state students (re: Californians. Shudder).

True Oregonians will always, ALWAYS hate Washington more than Oregon or Oregon State, depending on the school. When I joke with my parents about how I'm the black sheep (or I guess the green duck?) I always add that, well, at least I didn't go to Washington.

I'm also hoping the Beavs win this weekend - 'cause seriously, Mike Stoops is a bitch - because if ANYBODY gets the chance to crush their Rose Bowl dreams, it should be us ;) That's the kind of relationship we have. And if Oregon State (who I think is a better complete team this year) beats the Ducks, well, I'll be happy for OSU. At least they're screwing over the Trojans in that scenario ;)

harperdc.gif

then how are they applied? Heat transfer, embroidery....

then how are they applied? Heat transfer, embroidery....

Hell if I know. I just have a feeling something that is supposed to do so much isn't simply screenprinted. Its Nike anyway, they never take the easy way out.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to revive this old thread. But i was talking to, former Oregon Ducks wide reciever, Terry Obee today at the mall and he said that he has seen a white jersey similar to the one we wore versus Arizona. He went on to say that the numbers were silver and the pants had a silver stripe down the side.

Maybe we'll see them busted out for the Holiday Bowl?

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

Sorry to revive this old thread. But i was talking to, former Oregon Ducks wide reciever, Terry Obee today at the mall and he said that he has seen a white jersey similar to the one we wore versus Arizona. He went on to say that the numbers were silver and the pants had a silver stripe down the side.

Maybe we'll see them busted out for the Holiday Bowl?

Silver and white? Kinda hard to see IMO

Archived