oregon blackout

Krona

uhhh doug? the oregon state color is navy blue. where'd green and/or black come from?

Dunno where orange and black came from for OSU (they've been that way forever though), but the green and yellow for UO comes from the colors of the state flower, the Oregon grape.

harperdc.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love the new look, if that is indeed what that is, but I'm gonna miss what he have now . . .

As for the flat black, from what I've heard those helmets were "testers" used in practice this week and will be repainted (glossy) for the game. Not sure if that is good or bad. I'm of the mind that while they look good in that photo, they'll look cheap and dumb when viewed on TV and when everyone is wearing them while standing next to the other team's shiny helmets.

If those testers were going to be repainted, why would they trouble themselves with putting decals on?

uhhh doug? the oregon state color is navy blue. where'd green and/or black come from?

Dunno where orange and black came from for OSU (they've been that way forever though), but the green and yellow for UO comes from the colors of the state flower, the Oregon grape.

Here's what I found for Oregon State:

School Colors: Since 1859, when Oregon State began as a small pioneer academy named Corvallis College, OSU has had two or three "official " school colors, depending on whom you talk to.

Until the spring of 1893, navy blue was the official color of Corvallis College. All this changed on May 2 when a faculty committee appointed by President John Bloss voted to replace blue with "orange." Not long after, "black" was selected by the student body as a background color and the Halloweenesque combination has been used ever since.

A year earlier, the college baseball team had been given black uniforms to wear by local tailor J. H. Harris and so the students' idea for black may have been inspired by this simple act of kindness. Or maybe the inspiration came from 11 miles down the Willamette River, in nearby Albany, where students at Albany College looked at Oregon State's new color scheme as a deliberate rip-off of their own tradition of having used orange and black since 1887. The dispute over who was entitled to what would last for three and a half decades, or until 1928, when both schools decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

Indeed, wearing orange and black is such an established OSU tradition now, it all seems cut-and-dried, beyond discussion or the need for inquiry.

Well, maybe. Or maybe not. There still lingers the question of whether the students' favoring of the color black so many years ago was ever an "official sanctioning" of the color.

If it was, OSU's Athletic Department has yet to get the word.

A recent check of its web site states: "Although Oregon State's athletic teams generally wear orange, black and white-based uniforms, orange is considered the school's official color."

Candy Hayes, OSU's Trademark Administrator says only that black and Pantone 165 orange are the official school colors for licensed products. OSU University Archivist Larry Landis says that as far as he's concerned, orange and black are OSU's "official" school colors.

"My feeling," he explains, "is that if it (black) was adopted, it satisfies as an official color. When faced with two colors, one is going to be dominant and here at OSU, by tradition, that's orange. However, the use of black as a background color has just as long a tradition and this in effect also sanctions it as 'official.' "

Landis also throws another kink into the history of this tradition by citing an article that appeared in the July 1, 1892, Corvallis Gazette, which describes the use of orange and black in the commencement ceremonies that year -- almost a year before orange was formally adopted by the faculty:

"For the commencement exercises the rooms of the college were tastefully decorated with evergreens, flags and the college colors, orange and black," the article said.

"This seems to be pretty strong proof that both colors were being used formally, even before they were formally adopted," Landis says.

I haven't been able to find any history on the Ducks.

Well we've got new pics of the "black" helmets, and I put that in quotes because the newer paint job definitely has a distinctive green tint to it. And they didn't go glossy, but they did put more shine into them than the first "flat black" pics we saw. Check em out:

helmet2_20081112.jpg

newhelmet_20081112.jpg

Well we've got new pics of the "black" helmets, and I put that in quotes because the newer paint job definitely has a distinctive green tint to it. And they didn't go glossy, but they did put more shine into them than the first "flat black" pics we saw. Check em out:

helmet2_20081112.jpg

newhelmet_20081112.jpg

That looks really low-profile - what kind of helmet is that?

helmet2_20081112.jpg

newhelmet_20081112.jpg

That looks really low-profile - what kind of helmet is that?

DNA

also, in the light, the helmets look as dark, dark green as they look black. These could look really cool in action.

Beat ya, and I don't leech images :)

harperdc.gif

That helmet is effing beautiful.

Although I don't think the jersey is too nice looking now, I think it will look wonderful on the field.

I'm still partial to the diamond-plating, which I still really like.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived