Annoying fans...

oddball

39. Fans wearing jerseys/hats of teams not even playing in the game at hand.

I have over 50 jerseys in my collection, and the only time I wear these jerseys is at games. Might as well wear them at Thrashers games (even if I look out of place when cheering a Thrashers goal vs. Florida while wearing a Ducks jersey).....

41. The guy with his name personalized on the back of his jersey

Last Christmas, I got a friend of mine a jersey with her name personalized on the back. (Her hockey jerseys got stolen from her house a couple months beforehand.) She loves it, and that's all that matters...is the person wearing it's thoughts on the jersey.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen this one expressly put out there, so I'll put it out there:

PROFANITY

Profanity, cursing, whatever you want to call-- it has no place in the stands. Games are NOT R-rated or even PG-13 rated events. All ages are allowed to attend. And similar to the fact that the product on the field, the ads on the walls and jumbotrons, and the halftime entertainment contains no vulgarity, neither should fans have to put up with it from other "fans". This goes not only for spoken profanity, but vulgar statements on apparel--- I was really embarassed a few years ago at a vulgar T-shirt some low-life slut Saints "fan" wore to a game against the Eagles, which unfortunately showed up on national TV.

I really identified with BlueSky's earlier post-- I've been in that situation several times. Unlike his description, though, most of the time when I tell the curser to "cool it" because there are children present, they very sheepishly apoplogize and immediately begin behaving... The one time I can recall someone talking back about their cursing to not only me but other fans (and this was a long time ago before I had kids) I simply went to get a drink and found the nearest policeman, and apprised him of the situation. Before I could even purchase a drink the cop caught him in the act and had him thrown out, to much applause from the other fans....

I am often in this situation because I go to games with my two daughters (my wife is not a sports fan) and I would have to say it is the most annoying thing about "fans".....

It is what it is.

I haven't seen this one expressly put out there, so I'll put it out there:

PROFANITY

Profanity, cursing, whatever you want to call-- it has no place in the stands. Games are NOT R-rated or even PG-13 rated events. All ages are allowed to attend. And similar to the fact that the product on the field, the ads on the walls and jumbotrons, and the halftime entertainment contains no vulgarity, neither should fans have to put up with it from other "fans". This goes not only for spoken profanity, but vulgar statements on apparel--- I was really embarassed a few years ago at a vulgar T-shirt some low-life slut Saints "fan" wore to a game against the Eagles, which unfortunately showed up on national TV.

I really identified with BlueSky's earlier post-- I've been in that situation several times. Unlike his description, though, most of the time when I tell the curser to "cool it" because there are children present, they very sheepishly apoplogize and immediately begin behaving... The one time I can recall someone talking back about their cursing to not only me but other fans (and this was a long time ago before I had kids) I simply went to get a drink and found the nearest policeman, and apprised him of the situation. Before I could even purchase a drink the cop caught him in the act and had him thrown out, to much applause from the other fans....

I am often in this situation because I go to games with my two daughters (my wife is not a sports fan) and I would have to say it is the most annoying thing about "fans".....

I'll second this. I didn't give it a lot of thought until I had kids of my own, but now I am acutely aware of it.

I've taken my son (who is now 7) to 2-3 Ravens games and, fortunately, I have usually only heard sporadic f-bombs. Even more fortunately, I don't think he has noticed them since they were sort of caught up in the overall wash of sounds. However, I find myself spending most of the game with one ear peeled for dumbasses exploding with four (and twelve) letter words.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I almost agree with that statement. I don't believe in spewing forth profanity, but I don't believe sporting events should be treated as ultra-whitewashed "family events," either.

Again, y'all'd hate me at soccer games. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I almost agree with that statement. I don't believe in spewing forth profanity, but I don't believe sporting events should be treated as ultra-whitewashed "family events," either.

I don't think so either. I just hope most fans can be as loud and rowdy as they want to be without dropping multiple F-bombs every time they speak. I want my son to see the fans getting loud and excited because that is part of the experience (especially with football), just try to be clean about it.

Bottom line -- Loud and mildly obnoxious is acceptable. Loud, mildly obnoxious and exceedingly profane is not acceptable.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I don't think so either. I just hope most fans can be as loud and rowdy as they want to be without dropping multiple F-bombs every time they speak. I want my son to see the fans getting loud and excited because that is part of the experience (especially with football), just try to be clean about it.

Bottom line -- Loud and mildly obnoxious is acceptable. Loud, mildly obnoxious and exceedingly profane is not acceptable.

Precisely. Loud is fine, obnoxious is fine, heckling is fine, etc. But I draw the line at profanity and vulgarity. ^_^

It is what it is.

Meh....what kids hear in a stadium isn't any different than what kids are exposed to in the grocery store, at the mall, cable TV, etc. You know profanity is said throughout most sporting venues, it's the risk you take. Chances are, the kid is gonna remember the game itself and hanging out with dad instead of one guy swearing.......

As long as I'm not breaking any laws or personally abusing anyone, it's not your job or mine or an employee's job to tell people to watch their language.

Meh....what kids hear in a stadium isn't any different than what kids are exposed to in the grocery store, at the mall, cable TV, etc. You know profanity is said throughout most sporting venues, it's the risk you take. Chances are, the kid is gonna remember the game itself and hanging out with dad instead of one guy swearing.......

As long as I'm not breaking any laws or personally abusing anyone, it's not your job or mine or an employee's job to tell people to watch their language.

If excessive usage of offensive language is against the stadium's "code of conduct", then it is an employee's job to say something. You can argue that it shouldn't be in the code, but it's a little unfair to say that an employee shouldn't be doing his job.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If excessive usage of offensive language is against the stadium's "code of conduct", then it is an employee's job to say something. You can argue that it shouldn't be in the code, but it's a little unfair to say that an employee shouldn't be doing his job.

Hence the reason I mentioned the "breaking the law" part. Law including any ordinances or stadium codes, etc......

Hence the reason I mentioned the "breaking the law" part. Law including any ordinances or stadium codes, etc......

Understood.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41. The guy with his name personalized on the back of his jersey

42. The guy wearing a jersey of a average player who used to play on the team(ex. An Eagles fan wearing a Takeo Spikes jersey)

43. The people who wear the jersey t-shirts.

I'm proudly guilty of 41. I can't help it. I'm the only person I trust with my name on the back of a jersey. I don't want to put a player on the back only to have him pull a Paul Kariya, Todd Bertuzzi, Craig MacTavish, Michael Vick or Brett Favre. (If the player leaves or gets traded, even on amicable terms, it's rendered useless anyways.)

I've actually found 42 an interesting idea. If I were ever to own, say, a vintage jersey of any team, I would find like, one guy who played like ten games and only had like 4 points and get his name and number on it.

43, I've seem many times, and have no problems of it. When I was at the Ducks/Canadiens game last month, I was guilty of 41 and the guy sitting next to me was guilty of 43, with a Chris Higgins T-shirt. Everytime the Canadiens scored, he was passionate cheering like he just got laid for the first time...all four times they scored.

I would like to add:

55. Fans of the home team at junior or even peewee level games who, when the home team gets a penalty, will yell at the refs saying that they're ridiculously blind or need to be trained again or should be sent back to school or need to make an appointment with an local optometrist (or even just saying they suck), and will never ever stop about this throughout the entire game, even if every single penalty is legitimate. Most of the times, it's some 60+ year old lady with glasses doing the yelling, and is often so loud, everyone can hear her.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

55. Fans yelling from the Bob Uecker seats over balls and strikes, when no one else in the stadium disagreed with the call.

56. The super fan of the sport at neutral site games who knows way to much about the teams that are playing and wants to talk about obscure players from the past, I always end up near these guys at NCAA Tourney games.

57. Fans who want to start a fight with fans of the visiting team at a pre-season or spring training game.

58. The fans who get up every 5 minutes to get more beer or food.

Disagree. Not only do I own a few, but its a good way to rep a player without going all-out on a jersey. Theyre more "wearable", and youre only out $20 if the player is traded or something, rather than $120.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

Disagree. Not only do I own a few, but its a good way to rep a player without going all-out on a jersey. Theyre more "wearable", and youre only out $20 if the player is traded or something, rather than $120.

I love the jersey tees, I have 4 myself. I like the way they look, you can wear it to class without having to deal with the bulkiness of a real jersey. Plus, for some reason, if you wear a football jersey to class it looks okay, but a hockey jersey with street clothes when you're not at a game looks so out of place.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I love the jersey tees, I have 4 myself. I like the way they look, you can wear it to class without having to deal with the bulkiness of a real jersey. Plus, for some reason, if you wear a football jersey to class it looks okay, but a hockey jersey with street clothes when you're not at a game looks so out of place.

I think the best reason for them is the price. Some people don't have a hundred bucks to spend on a jersey, but still want to support their team.

1zqy8ok.gif

I agree. I own a few of the jersey t-shirts myself. I usually have a hard time making up my mind on getting a jersey personalized and its cheaper for me to go the t-shirt route anyway. If I have more than one favorite player on a team, I don't have a problem with buying the t-shirts of all of them.

When it comes to hockey jerseys, I'm getting to the point where I'd just rather have it blank. That way I support the entire team. I've thought about putting my own name and picking a number to put on a jersey, but I'm not sure that's the route I want to go.

Stars-NorthStarsJerseys.png

55. This usually happens in my dorm, but the fans that get in a discussion about sports, but they have no opinions whatsoever. They just take anything you are say and take it to some retarded level....

I was sitting on a bus one time and overheard this conversation going on behind me...

Guy 1: I've been a Spurs fan since I was little.

Guy 2: I'm a Bulls fan, but I really like the Spurs too... I'd say that they are my second favorite team.

Guy 1: Yeah, my favorite player is definitely Manu Ginobli. I just love the agressive way he penetrates the lane...

Guy 2: Oh yeah! I love Ginobli too... I think hes an amazing player... When he is on his game, he is one of the 3 best players in the NBA.

At that point I turned around and told the guy he was crazy, saying I would take Kobe, Lebron, D-Wade, KG, CP4 and several others on their bad days over Manu on his best day... He then went on a rant on how he became a Hornets fan when they drafted CP4 because he "loved him in college"...

Idiot.

56. The fan that butchers the pronunciation of players names... not even hard names! My dad is a criminal offender of this....

57. The fan that cheers for two rival teams.... No, you cannot cheer for both Michigan and Michigan State, even when they are not playing eachother! Pick a side and stick with it!

60. When fans from a team that is not even playing cheer for their team.

Heres a story, we went to the Jaguars vs Browns game a few weeks ago, and there was a Steelers fan at the game, he had his face painted half black and half yellow and everything. All he did was sit there and ask everyone around him "Whats the score on the Steelers-Giants game?" and if they didn't know, he would ask the next person until he got an answer. If he found out they scored, he stood up and started yelling "Here we go Steelers here we go!" That was the most annoying thing I have ever experienced at a sporting event.

T1oYViW.png

Archived