Vikings Throwbacks

Bmac

I liked these uniforms, but ...

1. The shorter sleeves made the Northwestern-style stripes look way too busy.

2. The gray facemask looks HORRIBLE on the Vikes.

The big thing, though, is they won in these uniforms. I would have hated these unis if the Vikings had lost.

All in all, the Culpepper-era unis are the best in Vikings history.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, I just LOVE these throwbacks -- even if the helmets seem darker than the jersey.

It may just be a reaction to what I see as a league full of over-designed uniforms, but the simplicity of these -- ESPECIALLY the non-outlined numbers -- is what makes these beautiful.

I.

It may just be a reaction to what I see as a league full of over-designed uniforms, but the simplicity of these -- ESPECIALLY the non-outlined numbers -- is what makes these beautiful.

Yes, I just love helmets that don't match the jersey color.

And, cheap, non-outlined numbers really look good here in 2008.

And, sleave stripes, that are out-of-place, on jersey's that don't have sleeves anymore, look neat.

The Vikes are a team that have a great re-design and put these, and ESPECIALLY, their tired old duds they wore before the new ones, to shame.

But, the throwemback the Vikes wore last night, was OK for 1 game a year.

I.

And, sleave stripes, that are out-of-place, on jersey's that don't have sleeves anymore, look neat.

The Vikes are a team that have a great re-design and put these, and ESPECIALLY, their tired old duds they wore before the new ones, to shame.

Wow. Didn't realize anybody took an expression of taste so personally. Guess I was wrong.

These throwbacks with the current helmet would make a great uniform for the Vikings. It's miles ahead of what they wear on a regular basis. And I don't even hate the new style uniforms universally. I like the new looks of the Falcons and Cardinals, and the Bengals are just a tweak or two away from having a nice set.

The Vikings though, their new set just sucks.

I.

Wow. Didn't realize anybody took an expression of taste so personally. Guess I was wrong.

You must realize that dennis' opinion is in fact, the rule. :rolleyes:

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I.

You must realize that dennis' opinion is in fact, the rule. :rolleyes:

Among other things you could call it.

I loved the throwbacks, but for one thing. With todays micro/non existent sleeves, the Northwestern stripes look more vertical than horizontal, and ruins the look. I take it back, there are two things. I like the outline around the numbers, not the plain white numbers. The pants are just fine as is, with the purple and gold striping.

metslogo_215.gif

I loved the throwbacks, but for one thing. With todays micro/non existent sleeves, the Northwestern stripes look more vertical than horizontal, and ruins the look. I take it back, there are two things. I like the outline around the numbers, not the plain white numbers. The pants are just fine as is, with the purple and gold striping.

The throwbacks are great, for a game a year, but I personal favorite is the ones from the true Purple People Eaters era of 1969 when they had gold trim on the numbers and wore the same style on the road only in white.

L'etoile du nord

The throwbacks are great, for a game a year, but I personal favorite is the ones from the true Purple People Eaters era of 1969 when they had gold trim on the numbers and wore the same style on the road only in white.

Not quite; by 1969 they were wearing the UCLA-style road jerseys (this photo is from Super Bowl IV where the Vikings were the road team; you can see the "NFL 50" logo on the shoulder):

BbrownMin.jpg

This photo is also from Super Bowl IV; note the Chiefs player has an "AFL" patch and the Vikings player has the UCLA-style jersey:

HolubKC.jpg

I think the Vikings wore at least 2 different home jerseys in 1969 - a plain purple with plain white numbers, but by the end of the season they were wearing the classic homes with the gold trim on the numbers (again, Kapp has the "NFL 50" logo on the shoulder of this jersey):

KappMin.jpg

I think the plain jerseys might have been mesh material and were worn during the first half of the season and the ones with the stripes and gold-trimmed numbers might have been Durene versions worn during the cold weather half of the season.

This is some of the best news I've heard recently. The new Vikings uniforms are a mess. The old unis that they wore when Carter, Culpepper, Moss and the Purple People Eaters are some of the most beautiful uniforms in NFL history. Purple and gold is such a great combination that you don't need curves, swirls and piping everywhere to jazz it up.

daunte-culpepper.jpg

WOW. I really, really like this uniform. It's basically a purple version of the Chief's uniform... and the Chief's uniform is one of my favorites. I give the Chiefs credit for one thing, they have a great look and they don't try and "modernize" it by darkening their colors and adding black and useless stripes.

Archived