Greatest Tradition Teams In Sports

the_cynic

Who is the greatest traditional team in sports?

My vote goes to the Boston Celtics!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can you really say? Boston is just a great sports city. It's really too bad they tore down the Boston Garden. They should have turned it into a museum.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

26 World Championships

39 American League Championships

22 Hall of Famers

1 Hallowed Stadium

∞ Great Moments

The Most Storied, Gloried, Hated, Feared, and Loved Franchise in North American Sports.

THE New York Yankees.

(The over-the-top smugness is highly intentional) :D

You could just as easily argue that the Boston Celtics are equal to the Yankees. The only thing the Yankess have going for them in this comparison is that they've been around longer to accomplish more.

Retired Number's To Come

my entry shall be in song...

Cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame,

Wake up the echoes cheering her name,

Send a volley cheer on high,

Shake down the thunder from the sky.

What though the odds be great or small

Old Notre Dame will win over all,

While her loyal sons are marching

Onward to victory.

if we're just counting pro teams, i shall present my other entry...(cue symphony) The Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field..."What the hell's going on down here?"...3 Super Bowl victories...12 NFL Championships...not simply the favorite sons of one city, but also an entire state and beyond, as far south as Miami and as far north as Alaska...yes, the team i mention is and only could be the legendary Green Bay Packers

Having your number retired by the Packers ranks as one of sport's highest honors...as proof, Paul Hornung's #5 can still be worn, as can Reggie White's #92. and they're legends, for pete's sake!

#3 Tony Canadeo, #14 Don Hutson, #15 Bart Starr, #66 Ray Nitschke...and a fifth spot that will likely be reserved for ol' #4

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

How do you define tradition? It's not all championships is it? You can have a tradition of losing right? The Red Sox and the Cubs have tradition don't they? Take any soccer club like Real Madrid, AC Milan and Manchester United who hve been around a long time as well. Don't they have tradition? I believe Real have more titles than the Yankees. So I'll take Real.

I saw, I came, I left.

I think that length-of-existance-in-realtion-to-existance-of-league has to be taken into consideration as well, in the Celtic's case. Not that The Chicago Fire should be mentioned in this cause they've been around a lot of MLS seasons, but you get my point.

A lot of great teams have been mentioned, so to be different, I’ll bring up a new one; Georgia Tech. In College sports, only a select few have as prestigious a program and school as they.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

How do you define tradition? It's not all championships is it? You can have a tradition of losing right? The Red Sox and the Cubs have tradition don't they? Take any soccer club like Real Madrid, AC Milan and Manchester United who hve been around a long time as well. Don't they have tradition? I believe Real have more titles than the Yankees. So I'll take Real.

quadival,

You made a very excellent point. "Tradition" isn't defined on championships and that's what I meant but I got lost in the comment that shiznit1083 made about the Yankees.

What I meant was........Which teams expects certain things from their players? I'll use the Celtics as an example again. It used to be that when they got players they would keep them around for years and years. Once a Celtic, always a Celtic. It was so much so that their blood turned green. They would die for the "Boston Celtics". I can't really say that for any team now days but looking back I would have to say that the Yankees and the Celtics are to be named as some of the few. You could also keep in mind that teams who have kept their original logos/styles year after year. Once again, the Celtics and Yankees come to mind. The Red Sox, Cubs, Packers, and other great teams in there too. Let's exclude "winning" from the definition of this category.

Retired Number's To Come

Yankees for baseball

Celtics for basketball

Canadiens for hockey

Packers for football

id say the packers but im biased

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

A lot of great teams have been mentioned, so to be different, I?ll bring up a new one; Georgia Tech. In College sports, only a select few have as prestigious a program and school as they.

Homer.

<_<

The New York Yankees. More history, tradition, and fame, than any team in the world, even more than Man. U, more than anyone. If you don't say it's the Yankees, your just a Yankee hater who KNOWS the yankees are the correct answer, but you can't bring yourself to say it, so you say the Celtics, or Red Sox, some silly answer like that. Grow Up. Face Facts.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

paynomind,

You see, Quincy just made a great example of himself. I think you should label him instead of me.

Retired Number's To Come

Archived