Greatest Tradition Teams In Sports

the_cynic

JQK, the Yankees are a great choice, but Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, and other English clubs are much more storied. You shouldn't just dismiss them like that.

MY point is that the Canadiens represent the French Canadian CULTURE, and that makes them more storied then the Yankees.

Also, take it easy, saying the Celtics isn't WRONG. They have an amazing hisotrical record.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not necessarily gonna say they have the most, but I'm gonna have throw the Cards into the mix as ONE of the greatest.

The Yanks get thrown in also, but they don't get the nod.

I'm gonna say the Canadiens. Not because they have 24 Cups. Heck, they won a lot of those when their were 4 to maybe 8 teams in the league. Yet, they have been around since the begginning of the NHL, and from my knowledge, montreal fans are completely hockey crazy.

My nomination for one of the best since maybe the modern era of sports (60's) would be the Blues. I'm not thinking hard about who the others might be, but there is just something about this franchise that is awesome even with no Cups yet.

You're such a homer, StL. :D

The Blues' history has some seriously bad periods in it. I love 'em, but any true "greatest tradition" doesn't nearly move to Saskatchewan. (Hi GMac! ^_^ )

In the NHL, there's the Habs, the Habs, the Leafs, the Habs, and the Habs. Oh, and the Habs.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

As easy as it could be to declare it the Yankees, I feel the Canadiens beat them out.

While having only two less chamionships than the Yankees, the Canadians legacy began quicker and earlier. The team is the way of life for an entire province, (and HALF THE ENTIRE COUNTRY FOR MORE THAN A QUARTER CENTURY!)

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I don't understand why these topics ALWAYS get brought up, THERE IS NO ANSWER, just eeryones opinion, and nobody agrees, so it always turns into a fight somehow.

They're also always brought up by bs2282 and it's seems like it's always just to brag about Boston.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

I don't understand why these topics ALWAYS get brought up, THERE IS NO ANSWER, just eeryones opinion, and nobody agrees, so it always turns into a fight somehow.

They're also always brought up by bs2282 and it's seems like it's always just to brag about Boston.

C'mon now, the Boston Garden is the best sports arena, and the Celtics are the greatest franchise ever. ;)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

You're right. I am a homer, but I'll be damned if I'm ever pro-Yankee anything. I'm sure you Yankee fans know what I mean. Would you guys ever say something nice about the Sox? Now you get the picture.

Also regarding soccer. I would love to know what it's like to have that much love for a soccer team or to experience what the fans feel, but I haven't, so I'll stick to what I know.

because the sad thing is, that people love to push buttons and fight.

that old rodney king crap just doesnt apply here.....

its disheartening yes, but thats the way it is

and just to stay on topic, the number of stanley cups won by the habs definitly helps thier case in this argument, but in my opinion they have this one setback:

if the sharks, or any other team for that matter, had only five other teams to compete with for the majority of thier history, they would have 20-something stanley cups too.

if the sharks, or any other team for that matter, had only five other teams to compete with for the majority of thier history, they would have 20-something stanley cups too.

Uh so why don't the other 5 of the so called original six have more?

Just asking.

Only 3 teams have won 3 in a row, only 2 won 4 in a row--and only one 5 in a row.

3-Montreal, Toronto, and the Islanders.

4-Montreal & Islanders

5-Montreal

and the Habs did 3 & 4 twice--including 4 in a row in the late 70's. The number of possible teams to win isn't the issue--the issue is that they have dominated for long stretches in various eras--they're not there now--and they're on their longest Cup drought--but overall--they've kicked serious butt.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

ok, lets say, hypothetically, that you take ANY six teams in the NHL right now excluding the "original" six, and have them play only each other for about 40 or so seasons, at least one of those teams is bound to have a lot of championships, simply because the odds are better. in a six team leage even the longshot team has favorable odds of winning a cup.

so the Canadiens were the 'lucky team' to just happen to win more championships? I see what you are tryin to say Shark, and yes the odds are better when there are only 6 teams, but that doesnt guarantee more championships for any particular team, Montreal was just that good I guess.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

ok, lets say, hypothetically, that you take ANY six teams in the NHL right now excluding the "original" six, and have them play only each other for about 40 or so seasons, at least one of those teams is bound to have a lot of championships, simply because the odds are better. in a six team leage even the longshot team has favorable odds of winning a cup.

So? The Habs are the ones that did it--not any of the other 5, and the other teams that were in the NHL way back when didn't survive, the original six did, and the Wings and the Leafs both had some periods where they dominated--but overall it was the Habs.

And by the way there were 6 teams for 25 years, not 40, before that they had 7 for 4 years and prior to that form 8 on up. I get your point in saying 40 years, but in terms of NHL history there is a big differenc between 25 & 40 years.

Still my point stands--maybe other teams "could have" done it--but they didn't--the Habs did--and that's the point. It of course isn't the only reason I'd mention them--but it is one of the many.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I just threw the term "40 years" out there as a hypothetical example, wasnt really concerned about historical accuracy.

and yes, the Habs did indeed have the most sucess of the six team NHL when it was only six teams. I never said they didnt. However like I said before the odds of them winning every year did indeed give them a better chance to win all those cups. Not saying they didnt deserve it at all.

Hell for all we know we could be sitting here discussing this same exact thing about the Chicago Blackhawks winning 20-something cups. and the argument would still be intact if that were the case

1) NY Yankees - by far, the most storied franchise in pro sports. The Red Sox and Cubs don't have the national (and international) appeal that the Yankees have.

2) Montreal Canadiens - there's plenty of great arguements in favor of the Habs, but you have to admit that this board has far more hockey fans to skew the numbers. Looking at the whole picture, the Yankee tradition simply can't be touched.

3) Green Bay Packers - no matter what your favorite NFL team is, when you hear the word 'tradition', you have to think of the Packers first.

4) Boston Celtics/LA Lakers (tied) - I think it depends on who you ask. But when I think traditon, the NBA doesn't even cross my mind.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Maybe lately but not overall. If you remember I posted a topic called "Posting Rate Dropping". Within that I expressed my concern about the number of posts dropping within this community. I know my topics aren't always the best but at least people are posting in them. I'd like to think that my posts get people thinking about things. In this regard it gets them thinking about sports history and even if people don't agree it always makes for an interesting topic. The funny thing about this is that I'm not even a fan of the Boston Celtics, I'm a fan of what they stand for, what they've brought to the game of basketball, and for their history. I'm a huge fan of the Utah Jazz and Seattle Mariners but you don't see me rambling on about them do you? I don't think I'm nearly as bad as some other members. At least I have an open mind and I haven't really shot down too many people within this topic.

He certainly leads the league in homers, followed closely by STL. :P J/K

Whaterver dude!

C'mon now, the Boston Garden is the best sports arena, and the Celtics are the greatest franchise ever. ;)

That's not what I'm trying to prove nor do I believe they are the greatest. I'm just expressing my opinions, they don't have to be "right" or "wrong". I just think that a lot of people within this community lack knowledge and they often overlook some franchises and some great traditions in the world of sports. If people don't like it then why don't they start their of interesting discussions instead of complaining.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived