Notre Dame with names on the jerseys

crashcarson15

Something tells me Notre Dame won't keep names for 2009, but it's not like they played/looked bad with them. I say go with 'em!

So does this leave Penn State as the only FBS team not currently using names? Surely there have to be others, but none that come to mind right away.

6uXNWAo.png

Here we go, I just got this in an e-mail from my dad replying to when I told him about it.

The Irish had player names on their jerseys for the first time since the Cotton Bowl to end the 1987 season. It renewed a tradition from the Ara Parseghian years when Irish teams did not have names on the backs of their jerseys during the regular season, but added them for bowl games.

6fQjS3M.png

Something tells me Notre Dame won't keep names for 2009, but it's not like they played/looked bad with them. I say go with 'em!

So does this leave Penn State as the only FBS team not currently using names? Surely there have to be others, but none that come to mind right away.

USC

and I think some of the MAC, WAC and Sun Belt teams don't have them either. For some reason I want to say Nevada and Eastern Michigan...??

USC

and I think some of the MAC, WAC and Sun Belt teams don't have them either. For some reason I want to say Nevada and Eastern Michigan...??

Does Boise?

6fQjS3M.png

Noteble

Notre Dame was designated the home team, so Hawaii wore white jerseys and used the visiting locker room and sideline. ... The Irish had player names on their jerseys for the first time since the Cotton Bowl to end the 1987 season. It renewed a tradition from the Ara Parseghian

years when the Irish teams did not have names on the backs oftheir jerseys during the regular season, but added them for bowl games.

Noteble

Notre Dame was designated the home team, so Hawaii wore white jerseys and used the visiting locker room and sideline. ... The Irish had player names on their jerseys for the first time since the Cotton Bowl to end the 1987 season. It renewed a tradition from the Ara Parseghian

years when the Irish teams did not have names on the backs oftheir jerseys during the regular season, but added them for bowl games.

That's cruel, make Hawaii switch locker rooms.

6fQjS3M.png

lmao @ Hawaii having to go to a different locker room entirely. I mean, I can understand them wearing the white jerseys and having to set up shop on the visitor's side...but that's their home stadium. :lol:

With that said...I'm kinda indifferent when it comes to Notre Dame having names on the back. I honestly didn't know that they used to have no NOB by had them just for the bowl games, and then let the players keep the jerseys. That was the coolest part of the whole thing for me.

I believe San Jose State and Nevada don't use nameplates in the WAC. If I remember correctly Utah State uses nameplates, but they all say "Aggies" on the back.

As for Hawaii being the visiting team at home, there are a few advantages:

1. The visitor's sideline isn't in the hot sun during the day as the shadow from the stadium is cast onto that side.

2. It's a lot cooler in the away unis (white) versus the home unis (black) in the sun.

3. I heard the visitors locker room is larger.

They're not against being the visiting team at home as these advantages often go unnoticed. But big whoop, the advantage sure didn't help any.

As an ND fan I don't like it, and as a uniform afficionado I don't like it. On both fronts it burns my eyes. I love the cleanliness of the blank nameplate. As for it being a tradition, it's a rather weak and inconsistant one at that.

As for other teams without names, USC doesn't have them.

spacer.png

Archived