NFL Complaints, Observations, Suggestions

wdm1219inpenna

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I originally had this post in another thread (the Super Bowl XLII logo thread in the Sports Logos forum), but, in an effort to help keep that thread on track, and, since this is something of a thought/suggestion/complaint, I'll repost it here.

In regards to the location of future Super Bowls...

Imma come from way out of left field with this one...but I think it's a question/thought worth considering.

I'm well aware of the NFL's preference to host its big-money championship event in a warm-weather venue with lots of hotel rooms and whatnot and pleny of "amentities"--whatever those may be. Here's the other thing I'm well aware of: it's also become something of a celebrity all-star event, as well. In other words, in more recent years, the game's been priced well out of reach of the common fan--the people who really provide the lifeblood of NFL support, which to me is kinda tragic.

Having said all that...has anyone else besides me given a passing thought to the NFL holding a Super Bowl in a place where fan support is among the strongest, if not the strongest (arguably)--and a place that's a hotbed for football?

I'm talking about Kansas City here.

It's a thought I've held onto for a long time now and just never said anything about. I mean, think about it...KC fans (from as much as I can tell, having been around a good many over the years) are some of the most passionate around, and though KC may not really be seen as a "tourist" town (which also seems to be a prerequisite for whatever town he NFL wants to hold its SB's in), there's a lot of great history there, not to mention the fact that the owner of that team is a guy who pretty much helped make the NFL into what it is today--that being Lamar Hunt. I think that enough is a decent enough reason for consideration. Add that to the fact that KC is pretty centrally located (not exactly, but almost). As for pre-game festivities...anyone besides me ever had authentic KC barbeque before? THAT's some good eatin' there.

Oh--and sure, it may get cold in KC during January/February...but hell, the NFL, for all intents and purposes, was BORN in cold-weather locations...some of the greatest games in NFL history were played in the "elements" (I immediately think of the Ice Bowl and the Giants/Packers playoff game from last year)...so what if players get a little wet, a little muddy...a little snowy while playing for the title? It's FOOTBALL! Shoot...half the fun of playing the game is playing it in the elements!

Really...I wish the NFL would stop focusing damn near ALL their attention on the bottom line (read: $$$) and start having some consideration for the FANS, the COMMON FOLK out there (here?)...as i said before, those who provide the core lifeblood of NFL support. Make the game more accessible (and more affordable) for the fans out there!

Of course...this is all just my own opinion...my two rusted Lincolns. Feel free to tear it to shreds if you like. :D

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I personally think that the NFL should build "Super Bowl Stadium" in Las Vegas, and have the game (along with the Pro Bowl) there every single year.

The stadium would get use for conventions during the other 11 months of the year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The die hard football fan wouldn't care if the Super Bowl is located in a cold, open-air stadium. However, most fans are casual fans. The casual fan won't pay a fortune to travel to another city to freeze their ass off. Now add trying to lure people with real cash to back your main event. It's just bad business all around. Gotta say the BBQ does sound enticing. :)

That said, and considering how the game has become a corporate event, Hawaii should push to host both the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl. People can sign up for themed cruises from the mainland to Hawaii, partying the entire way. It would be awesome.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I originally had this post in another thread (the Super Bowl XLII logo thread in the Sports Logos forum), but, in an effort to help keep that thread on track, and, since this is something of a thought/suggestion/complaint, I'll repost it here.

In regards to the location of future Super Bowls...

Imma come from way out of left field with this one...but I think it's a question/thought worth considering.

I'm well aware of the NFL's preference to host its big-money championship event in a warm-weather venue with lots of hotel rooms and whatnot and pleny of "amentities"--whatever those may be. Here's the other thing I'm well aware of: it's also become something of a celebrity all-star event, as well. In other words, in more recent years, the game's been priced well out of reach of the common fan--the people who really provide the lifeblood of NFL support, which to me is kinda tragic.

Having said all that...has anyone else besides me given a passing thought to the NFL holding a Super Bowl in a place where fan support is among the strongest, if not the strongest (arguably)--and a place that's a hotbed for football?

I'm talking about Kansas City here.

It's a thought I've held onto for a long time now and just never said anything about. I mean, think about it...KC fans (from as much as I can tell, having been around a good many over the years) are some of the most passionate around, and though KC may not really be seen as a "tourist" town (which also seems to be a prerequisite for whatever town he NFL wants to hold its SB's in), there's a lot of great history there, not to mention the fact that the owner of that team is a guy who pretty much helped make the NFL into what it is today--that being Lamar Hunt. I think that enough is a decent enough reason for consideration. Add that to the fact that KC is pretty centrally located (not exactly, but almost). As for pre-game festivities...anyone besides me ever had authentic KC barbeque before? THAT's some good eatin' there.

Oh--and sure, it may get cold in KC during January/February...but hell, the NFL, for all intents and purposes, was BORN in cold-weather locations...some of the greatest games in NFL history were played in the "elements" (I immediately think of the Ice Bowl and the Giants/Packers playoff game from last year)...so what if players get a little wet, a little muddy...a little snowy while playing for the title? It's FOOTBALL! Shoot...half the fun of playing the game is playing it in the elements!

Really...I wish the NFL would stop focusing damn near ALL their attention on the bottom line (read: $$$) and start having some consideration for the FANS, the COMMON FOLK out there (here?)...as i said before, those who provide the core lifeblood of NFL support. Make the game more accessible (and more affordable) for the fans out there!

Of course...this is all just my own opinion...my two rusted Lincolns. Feel free to tear it to shreds if you like. :D

I don't want to take the thread off track, but you can't just gloss over the severity of the weather. Have you been to Kansas City/Green Bay/Buffalo in early February? Sure you could play the game in one of those locations, but I know I wouldn't pay over a $1000 to sit on a block of ice and watch football through the half inch space between my knit cap and scarf.

EDIT: I see that Quantum beat me to it.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Weren't they supposed to build some sort of roof over Arrowhead? I think that'd be enough to get a Super Bowl in Kansas City.

The retractable roof ultimately did not get funding when they voted on renovations.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I personally think that the NFL should build "Super Bowl Stadium" in Las Vegas, and have the game (along with the Pro Bowl) there every single year.

The stadium would get use for conventions during the other 11 months of the year.

You really think that the NFL would ever host a game in Vegas, let alone their main event? With all the gambling problems pro sports have I doubt the NFL would host the most bet on game in the US in Vegas, the betting capital of the US.

saBS.png

You really think that the NFL would ever host a game in Vegas, let alone their main event? With all the gambling problems pro sports have I doubt the NFL would host the most bet on game in the US in Vegas, the betting capital of the US.

No, I don't think they'll ever do it. I just said that I think that they should do it. They will never put a team full-time in LV due to the gambling, but one event, an event that the league acknowledges is heavily gambled on, could be OK.

With the amount of money that today's atheletes make, the threat of them throwing games due to contacts with gamblers is minimal. There would have to be a ton of extra security for the officials however, as every yahoo who bet heavily on the game would try to buy them off.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

One thing I'm definitely not a fan of in the NFL is Roger Goodell's fine policies. Wes Welker's snow angel fine was the most ridiculous example. Things like that have to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Sticking to the absolute letter of the law of the rule book on everything is foolish.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Weren't they supposed to build some sort of roof over Arrowhead? I think that'd be enough to get a Super Bowl in Kansas City.

The retractable roof ultimately did not get funding when they voted on renovations.

Oh. That'll put a downer on any Super Bowl plans.

On the subject of the "Super Bowl Stadium", wouldn't Los Angeles be a better idea? I mean, you have the history (Super Bowl I), the weather (it's Southern California), and the bigwigs (celebrities, agents, label owners). All you'd need is the stadium. If L.A. won't support a team full-time, they could at least support a championship game.

Winning the Heisman, although a great accomplishment for a college player, means jack in the pros. These guys may very well be suited at a different position. I always thought Michael Vick would have been better as a receiver than as a QB. Of course, just like Kiper and McShay, it is only an opinion.

Vick is definitely a receiver now....

Winning the Heisman, although a great accomplishment for a college player, means jack in the pros. These guys may very well be suited at a different position. I always thought Michael Vick would have been better as a receiver than as a QB. Of course, just like Kiper and McShay, it is only an opinion.

Vick is definitely a receiver now....

Or to be more precise, a split-end.

Some of what I'd suggest has already been suggested, so I'll stick to my two.

OVERTIME. I dislike sudden death overtime in football. It's like having sudden death extra innings in baseball. That doesn't make sense, right? Right. But I don't think that they should go to the college version either.

My suggestion? First team to four points wins. That's a touchdown or two scores. If you can't score a TD on your first try, you gotta play defense. Spreads OT out a bit and adds some more strategy. Also, let's get rid of ties. If the game is still tied after 15 minutes, then the next team to score wins. Football doesn't need tie games anymore.

PLAYOFFS. I'm going to take a page from Australian sports and offer something different. It will add a week onto the playoffs and possibly generate more revenue for the league.

Eight teams make the playoffs from each conference. Four division winners, four wild cards. The first week has the four division winners play each other (1 v 4, 2 v 3), with the winners advancing to what is now the division playoffs, and the losers going to what is now the Wild Card Round. The wild card teams play off (5 v 8, 6 v 7), with the winners going to the wild card round and the losers being eliminated. The playoffs would proceed as normal from there.

philly.png

One thing I'm definitely not a fan of in the NFL is Roger Goodell's fine policies. Wes Welker's snow angel fine was the most ridiculous example. Things like that have to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Sticking to the absolute letter of the law of the rule book on everything is foolish.

It's been my impression since he took over that Roger Goodell cares more about the appearance of toughness than he does actually cleaning up the league. (steroids, anyone?)

Some of what I'd suggest has already been suggested, so I'll stick to my two.

PLAYOFFS. I'm going to take a page from Australian sports and offer something different. It will add a week onto the playoffs and possibly generate more revenue for the league.

Eight teams make the playoffs from each conference. Four division winners, four wild cards. The first week has the four division winners play each other (1 v 4, 2 v 3), with the winners advancing to what is now the division playoffs, and the losers going to what is now the Wild Card Round. The wild card teams play off (5 v 8, 6 v 7), with the winners going to the wild card round and the losers being eliminated. The playoffs would proceed as normal from there.

I'm confused, so a double-elimination for the winning teams and single for those at the beginning of the Wild Card Round? Can you create a table for this?

EDIT I found the Wikipedia article to understand it.

What I don't like about the NFL...

1. The number of punt and kickoff returns for TDs that are called back because of a penalty. It's so bad that in the rare event of one that might actually stand, the first words out of the announcer's mouths are "no flags on the play!" The number of long plays that are called back because of a penalty. It seems like anything exciting in an NFL game cannot be allowed.

2. The way the officials control the game. Absurd rules like the "tuck rule" and "must make a football type action" etc. seem to be designed specifically to allow for officials to exert their influence over a game. NFL officials affect the outcome of a game far too often. This year's first match up between the Chargers and Broncos is a prime example. They gave that game to the Broncos only to admit they blew it after it was too late to do anything about it. I swear they make up :censored: when they don't know how to handle something. It also seems like the NFL officials call way more penalties than do their counterparts in college. I read somewhere that NFL officiating is really bad this year. Newsflash: It's been bad for as long as I can remember.

A f'n men

4. The reverence the networks show for the sport. No one who has a deal with the league ever dares to criticize the league.

Substitute "the sport: and "the league" for "Bret Farve" and I'm with you again.

Archived