Detroit Lions Future

Gary

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...Of course, marrying tire mogul Harvey Firestone's granddaughter didn't hurt.

I used "inherited" a bit too lose I think. People that assumed roles in the team without earning them is my definition of inherited here....anyway...

He didn't make the money the hard way, hence he didn't have to make tough business decisions before. The money was given to him more or less. Even if he "earned" it, it most likely wasn't because of his business savvy. Like you said, marrying into the Firestone's didn't hurt his bottom line.

I just found it interesting that the better owners are typically those that built their empires on their own and the team is more of a reward or passion to them. The ones that assumed ownership postions either from inheritance, being friends with someone, or being in the family are typically poor owners. Of course Irsay and Rooney are an exceptions, but I think Irsay may have lucked into it more than anything. I don't remember the Colts being very relevant in Indianapolis before Manning got there. But I could be wrong, I was pretty young before Manning...

And Doh on the Virgina McCaskey mixup. She'd be really old if she was Halas' wife.

I used "inherited" a bit too lose I think. People that assumed roles in the team without earning them is my definition of inherited here....anyway...

He didn't make the money the hard way, hence he didn't have to make tough business decisions before. The money was given to him more or less. Even if he "earned" it, it most likely wasn't because of his business savvy. Like you said, marrying into the Firestone's didn't hurt his bottom line.

I just found it interesting that the better owners are typically those that built their empires on their own and the team is more of a reward or passion to them. The ones that assumed ownership postions either from inheritance, being friends with someone, or being in the family are typically poor owners. Of course Irsay and Rooney are an exceptions, but I think Irsay may have lucked into it more than anything. I don't remember the Colts being very relevant in Indianapolis before Manning got there. But I could be wrong, I was pretty young before Manning...

And Doh on the Virgina McCaskey mixup. She'd be really old if she was Halas' wife.

I plan on throwing a party the day Mike Brown or one of his idiot children decide to sell the Bengals franchise. You are exactly right about inherited NFL ownership, everything that is wrong and has been wrong with the Bengals is Mike Brown's fault and has been ever since his father died.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bring back Joe Schmidt as head coach.

Anyone else remember him?

Why not? Hell, I'd even be o.k. with bringing back Cocaine Wayne. He's the last successful coach the Lions have had.

Ah, Fontes. I miss that guy. He actually seemed like he'd be a blast to have a few beers (and whatnot) with.

RUN & SHOOT! RUN & SHOOT!

I think the Lions should go after either Mike Shanahan or Eric Mangini. It would probably be better to have a proven head coach than an unknown.

Just saw not too long ago on some NFL show (couldn't tell what network) that this guy Martin Mayhew will make ALL football decisions for the Lions as GM.

Just sayin...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think the Lions should go after either Mike Shanahan or Eric Mangini. It would probably be better to have a proven head coach than an unknown.

Mike Shanahan's last name doesn't start with an M, which is apparently an important qualification in Detroit (Moeller, Millen, Mornhinweg, Mariucci, Marinelli, Mayhew). So he's disqualified for the job. :D

Now, if the Lions had a clue (debatable, but humor me :lol: ), they would resist the urge to draft a QB and instead concentrate on the offensive line and the defense this year. No QB, whether it's Matt Stafford or Joe Montana in his prime, could succeed behind that porous offensive line. And for the love of G*D, no more wide receivers! :cursing:

I fully expect them to draft a QB (and then ruin his promising career), but it would be nice if they (for once) concentrated on their biggest weaknesses and rebuild the defense and O-Line.

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

Is it true William Clay Ford plans to interview Richie Kotite?

From what i've heard and read via freep.com and mlive.com the lists look like this

Jason Garrett

Vikings Defensive Co-ordinator Leslie Frazier(NO)

Washington Secondary Coach Jerry Gray

and Mike Shanahan is also on their radar

He's old enough to have a granddaughter? Besides, he's gay!

oh wait

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

reading the freep(Detroit Free Press website) and they were saying it could be until February before Detroit hires their head coach. The favorite at the moment is Spagulano and Jason Garrett.

reading the freep(Detroit Free Press website) and they were saying it could be until February before Detroit hires their head coach. The favorite at the moment is Spagulano and Jason Garrett.

And both would be idiots to take the job. It's just as toxic as Oakland - but at least you can rise again after coaching the Raiders. The Lions kill your career dead-stop.

I'm still in utter shock that Martin Mayhew still has a job with the Lions.

At this point, I like the choice of Schwartz as coach. He's a defensive-savvy guy, which is something that can only help the Lions. The draft is going to be so important this year for 'em though. I honestly don't know who I want the Lions to draft #1 overall.

Very good hire for the Lions. Good to see that they didn't fall in the trap of trying to pull in a big name. Lord knows that they need the help on defense and this is a great pick to help in that department.

Like Shum said, the draft is going to be crucial for them.

Of course ESPN is projecting them to pick a QB in the draft, but I think with the selection of Schwartz they are going to focus on drafting defensive players. They don't need to draft a QB they just need someone that can throw a semi-decent pass to CJ.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived