Padre color question.

oldschoolvikings

Can anybody tell me if the Padres road uniform from the 80's (the last uniform that was still brown) was beige, or standard road gray? I loved that uni when I was a kid, mostly because I thought it was beige with brown pinstripes. I have a friend who insists it was just a standard shade of gray that only appeared beige from a distance because of the brown pinstripes.

Anybody know for sure?

(sorry if this has been covered before)

Can anybody tell me if the Padres road uniform from the 80's (the last uniform that was still brown) was beige, or standard road gray? I loved that uni when I was a kid, mostly because I thought it was beige with brown pinstripes. I have a friend who insists it was just a standard shade of gray that only appeared beige from a distance because of the brown pinstripes.

Anybody know for sure?

(sorry if this has been covered before)

Oh, ask and ye shall receive...

It WAS a different color - a bit of a Warm Gray. In fact, the Padres listed the Pantone color for it along with their Brown and Orange Pantones.

SanDiegoPadresRoadGray_1985-1990_SO.jpg

I am 100% absolutely almost certain there is a chance that they were just the standard grey. I remember thinking they looked like a different color, but I do think it was just the pinstripes. Colorwerx probably knows this for sure.

I loved the late '80s Padres look. The color scheme was unique and worked well. It is a little dated now, but in that era they worked. I am a sucker for the SD on the roadies, same for the SF on the Giants roadies in that era. That said I also loved the Blue/Orange look that came after. I didn't like when they removed the orange from the equation and now I find their unis to be terrible.

For reference here are the 1985-1993 jersey scripts. (Full credit to Iamthedorf's post on page 20 of the logo correction thread.)

padres6.gif

padres7.gif

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

I remember first seeing those uniforms when I was figuring out who Joe Carter and Roberto Alomar were when the Blue Jays traded for them in 1990.

It's a shame they turned to Navy Blue after that.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I am 100% absolutely almost certain there is a chance that they were just the standard grey. I remember thinking they looked like a different color, but I do think it was just the pinstripes. Colorwerx probably knows this for sure.

"100% absolutely ALMOST"???

OK, that's kinda funny.

Somewhat along the same lines, the Blue Jays used a funky Blue-Gray for their road uniform color from 1989-1996:

TorontoBlueJaysRoadGray_1989-1996_S.jpg

OK, not to push you or anything, but how many decernably different road grays are there in MLB?

Most of them are one of these three:

PMS_421_C_SRGB.jpgPMS_429_C_SRGB.jpgPMS_443_C_SRGB.jpg

But then again, the MLB doesn't really treat these colors as "official" (for the most part)...the Style Guide files often are just placing a color in there without regard for accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...
I loved the late '80s Padres look. The color scheme was unique and worked well. It is a little dated now, but in that era they worked. I am a sucker for the SD on the roadies, same for the SF on the Giants roadies in that era. That said I also loved the Blue/Orange look that came after. I didn't like when they removed the orange from the equation and now I find their unis to be terrible.

Orange is a horrible color and a stake should be driven through its heart and its ashes should be sent to the four corners of the earth for burial.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that there's a little bit of green in the Phillies road gray color. When I hold my authentic up against my replica, the authentic definitely appears to be "greener".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I wish the Padres were still brown. I remember an SI article from when they changed to navy. Tony Gwynn was quoted as loving the change and leaving the brown behind. Yet another navy team. I remember being really disappointed, and I have mentioned this ongoing disappointment in about every topic I've found here that mentioned the Pads.

I was in my apartment at college when I came home my roommate had ESPN on TV. I did a double take and confirmed that the Padres ditched the brown. I screamed NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just like Darth Vader in Episode III. His girlfriend didn't appreciate it. I'll never forget it. I'm still not over it.

Where were you when you found out?

Kind of like people who were old enough to hear when Kennedy got shot.

Everyone loves a roundel.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that there's a little bit of green in the Phillies road gray color. When I hold my authentic up against my replica, the authentic definitely appears to be "greener".

The Brewers had a green-gray from 1994-96, but that was to match the green bills and piping. I wouldn't think to pair it with the Phillies' red.

But man, do I miss that Padres color scheme. So much better than the bland look they have now.

Archived