2009 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to just go at the last minute tonight by myself. Paid $50 for a $27 ticket (got there 10 mins before game and wanted to just get in). Best $50 I ever spent. It was one of those great loud dome atmospheres that I have not been fortunate enough to witness in person. I agree with Tank. 3rd best game ever there after 1991 Games 6 and 7. Roughly 4.5 hours, but it flew by, as every pitch was important after about the 5th inning. A small market team with injured Slowey, Crede and one-time MVP Justin Morneau, coming back to force this game and keep on matching Detroit run for run. And to end it? .205 hitter Casilla knocks in .225 hitter Gomez.

The two home runs and the double play (9th inning?) nearly blew the roof off of the dump.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Sorry, Joel and Gary.

Best team won, plain and simple. The Twins deserve the Central this year with the way they played to end the season. They have the hot hand right now and the Yankees better not be resting on their laurels.

I am disappointed in the Tigers, for sure, but I have endured far worse disappointments as a fan. Remember, I've been a fan of this team for most of my 36 years (and a Lions fan too), so I know disappointment intimately.

I'm no Tigers fan, but I'm still peeved that Brandon Inge got robbed on the Hit-By-Pitch non-call. Baseball's rules are quite clear that even hitting clothing is sufficient. I've posted a screen-cap and the rule here:

http://sheahey.blogspot.com/2009/10/robbbbbed.html

The rule should be amended so that clothing being hit is not a hit-by-pitch. This coming from someone who's been hit in the jersey before.

6fQjS3M.png

I'm no Tigers fan, but I'm still peeved that Brandon Inge got robbed on the Hit-By-Pitch non-call. Baseball's rules are quite clear that even hitting clothing is sufficient. I've posted a screen-cap and the rule here:

The rule should be amended so that clothing being hit is not a hit-by-pitch. This coming from someone who's been hit in the jersey before.

Indeed. With that rule, I'm surprised teams haven't adopted muu-muus or something along those lines as uniforms.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Problem is, an umpire can't tell the difference between fabric and body on a grazed HBP. A bunch of controversy would come into play.

Yeah, the Hit-By-Pitch rule has to stay like it is because the ball can graze fabric and not the body even on a tight 70's style jersey. Less subjective for the Ump to leave the rule as is.

I'm just frustrated because I feel like the Tigers had a better shot to dump the Yanks in a short series because of their starting pitching. And the Twinkies have been a pinstripe-punching bag.

Problem is, an umpire can't tell the difference between fabric and body on a grazed HBP. A bunch of controversy would come into play.

And the umpire last night couldn't tell the difference between fabric and air. Just sayin'

6fQjS3M.png

Yeah, the Hit-By-Pitch rule has to stay like it is because the ball can graze fabric and not the body even on a tight 70's style jersey. Less subjective for the Ump to leave the rule as is.

I'm just frustrated because I feel like the Tigers had a better shot to dump the Yanks in a short series because of their starting pitching. And the Twinkies have been a pinstripe-punching bag.

Then perhaps MLB needs to tighten up uniform regulations.

Because letter of the law aside, I'm pretty sure the ump didn't want to potentially decide the AL Central pennant on a player's tucked but not tucked jersey getting grazed by a pitch.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With bad calls,we tend to focus on the losing team. However, I think Casilla was safe a couple of innings earlier, which would have ended the game prior to Inge's HBP.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

It would have been a cheap HBP any way. I am glad the ump called it the way he did, the Tigers had the bases loaded one out, if they could not get a run home then shame on them.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived