NBA Europa [senior thesis]

Conrad.

I am in the process of doing my final Graphic Design thesis at the University of Tennessee, and I have decided upon the idea of creating an affiliate league for the NBA in Europe, which I have coined the NBA Europa. The idea is much like the previous NFL Europe, where I will be creating a near-replica of the system and processes of the NBA with a European flair. I want to break some of the ideas of European club-league basketball and make a more unique league for the great basketball fans in Europe to enjoy. I have created a blog where I will be posting the steps of my process and where I am going with it...so I ask for constructive criticism on the idea and what I have posted on the blog. You can either post your comments here or on the blog site, just as long as you say something please ;)

CLICK HERE FOR THE BLOG

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like all of your typefaces that you have. I think you could go with the top one being the main logo but I like the bottom one as a supporting logo. I don't like the second one though. I like where you're going, but it just doesn't work IMO. They're all very sharp though. Good job and good luck!

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

this is pretty good stuff. first, like others have mentioned...the 2nd doesn't look so great compared to the others. the first and third are the strongest marks in my opinion, but the very last one could work as well. i may feel that the stars and inclusion of the logo as the O is a bit forced...and maybe one of those elements could work, but not both.

how come you have the star in the bottom left in the first one...but not the rest? i think that would solve your problem in the last design...lose the stars, but keep the logo while including the star. maybe you could even run "NBA" up the left side of the "E" in EUROPA? just a few thoughts.

overall, this is a very nice job and I love the color palette.

I love the typeface as well.

Alrthough I don't like the skewing of the NBA logo for the 2nd and 4th options, I do like the other two though.

Great job.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be a nice balance geographically. I don't know enough about basketball over there to know how well each of these cities could support a team, but it seems fine to me.

The names seem fine as well. Many of them are suitable names, if a bit generic (Bears, Knights, Saints). I do really like Metropolitans (it fits Moscow and lends itself to 'Metros,' which is great) and Counts (unique). I'm interested in 'Razorbacks.' I like the name and was wondering why you chose it or how it relates to Milan.

Just a thought: since you have so many different languages going on between these eight teams, you might consider focusing these identities more on the city or colors than on team nickname. It would seem easier for the average observer to differentiate between 'Milano' and 'Beogradski' than between 'Cinghiali' and 'Vitezovi.'

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I like what you've done so far, especially in going with the native languages of each country.

However, I agree about focusing on certain ideas and colours associated with each city as opposed to the nickname. Also, I reckon you must have a team based in Greece, if I remember correctly a couple of the best supported European teams come from there.

I like what you've done so far, especially in going with the native languages of each country.

However, I agree about focusing on certain ideas and colours associated with each city as opposed to the nickname. Also, I reckon you must have a team based in Greece, if I remember correctly a couple of the best supported European teams come from there.

I think he wanted to stay away from regions that already had a strong European basketball team and fan support. I do agreen about focusing on the ideas and colors of the cities. I can't wait to see more. Great job with this Conrad.

jNTsTyQ.png

EAST:

- Beogradski Vitezovi (Belgrade Knights)

- Москва столичный (Moscow Metropolitans)

- Praha Hrdost (Prague Pride)

- Vilnius Saints (still need to look up correct language for this one)

WEST:

- Comtales de Barcelone (Barcelona Counts)

- Berlin Bären (Berlin Bears)

- London Royals

- Cinghiali di Milano (Milano ?Razorbacks?)

I'd consider adding teams in:

• Zagreb, Croatia - Croatia's is rife with current and former basketball talent; This is the one glaring hole in the league
  • Athens, Greece - Greece is home to some of Europe's best pro teams, they love ball there.
  • Brussels, Belgium - HQ of NATO

If I had to lose teams, they would be:

• Belgrade
  • Vilinius

Also, what about a team in Rome instead of Milan? The Gladiators perhaps?

I've been to many of the places you've listed I'll try to drop so names if I can think of any.

Otherwise, great job. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback guys...someone on another forum wrote a good explanation of why I need to have nicknames for the teams:

Alba Berlin and CKSA Moscow, just like Virtus Bologna, Olimpia Milano or Maccabi Tel Aviv are way too "European" and don't really mean anything. They're just the names of the clubs, they don't really represent the city they're from. Not to mention if you had read Conrad's first post, you'd know the point of NBA Europa is to eliminate the whole club concept in Europe and create new franchises in the major Euro cities, just like those present in today's NBA. Create a European NBA, or bring a slice of America into Europe's basketball, if you will...

It's a great idea because, let's face it, clubs (like pretty much every other distinctive aspect of European basketball,) suck. The NBA is (by far) the greatest professional basketball league in the world partly because of this, because teams aren't just teams, they're franchises. And franchising, in my humble opinion, is much better than the structure present in all of Europe's top leagues. Let's leave the promotions and relegations, the youth teams, the violent and annoying ultras and hooligans (and tifo in general,) and the so-called "cup games" and "friendly" exhibitions to soccer and rugby leagues. All those aspects are what make basketball here in Europe boring and unappealing, almost un-basketball.

Okay, I'm rambling but my point is, new names ARE required. And not just names, we need completely new teams. A new league, identical to the American National Basketball Association, only in Europe.

For the teams, I've finalized a couple nicknames:

- London Royals

- Beogradski Vitezovi

- Москва столичный

- Vilniaus Baronai (Barons)

Still need some feedback on these though:

- Barcelona (Counts or Dragons?)

- Berlin (something to do with Power, Strength, Force, or Energy)

- Stockholm Crowns? or something along those lines (im throwing out the Milan team)

- Prague (Lions or castle-ish?)

any suggestions are welcome please :)

Glad to see you have Vilnius, my grandparents are from there so I'm big time lithuanian. I'd suggest a name involving a knight or horse for them however, as the coat of arms is a famous knight warrior kinda thing (forgot the specific name) and lithuanians love using it wherever possible.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Archived