National Signing Day 2009

TFoA

I am really happy with Michigan's class. They have the 7th ranked class according to rivals.com, which is really good considering how this past season went. They found a way to pull the best player from Ohio up north, and also landed the best player from Michigan. They pulled a few late surprises, and pretty much addressed the major needs with great talent, including two QBs that actually fit the system. Good class, a lot of players who will contribute this year.

MegatronSig2.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only interesting thing is the wrapup on busts from the 2005 five-star prospects.

You said the best part of today. you get to look back at the four year class before to see how your team (or other schools did). there are many from the top 50 prospects from class of 2005 that were never even declared academically eligible. There was a kid who attended Ole Miss who was in that realm, as with a kid who ended up not attending Florida State would up at Shaw university and working as a garbage man. Don't judge the class now, judge it after 3 or 4 years.

Missouri made the Top 35 in the Nation for the 3rd straight year and bolstered it with a defense, great if you have an offense bu your screwed if you don't have a defense in the Big XII these days.

Really excited to see to Jarrell Harrison great DB and one of the top JUCO's coming out this year

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Well, I looked at the top recruiting classes by most of the people who know a little bit about it: (espnu, scout.com, rivals.com):

The good: MSU has a mid-to-lower Top 25 recruiting class in virtually everybody's opinion.

The bad: That's good for 7th or 8th best in the SEC.

Mullen better pull a hell of a coaching miracle. :(

Signing day, and the recruiting process as a whole just piss me off. First off, like oddball said, it's ridiculous for a high school kid to announce his college choice in front of cameras and reporters. This, and HS coverage on ESPN and USA Today just plants the seed of entitlement in athletes earlier than ever before. Does the kid that gets the scholarship to study economics or medicine do the same thing? They don't, and the injustice is that the latter kid is the one that's actually going to use what the school provides them for the rest of their life. Even though only a small percentage of athletes will go pro, a great number of them are still only going through the motions of academic life with NFL and NBA dollar signs in their eyes. It's all such a huge waste of educational resources, the business of educating kids being what a school's core purpose is in the first place.

I wish college athletics could go back to a simpler time, when they were just a fun sidebar for the kids that were going to school there anyway. I can even understand offering scholarships for sports, but I hate the idea of schools pursuing kids. I think it should be the other way around. Let them decide where they want to go without all the pressure and corruption, and if they deserve it, they'll go.

U of I got a good class. Not quite as good as Zook had been bringing in, but after a disappointing season and a turnover of a few coaches, it's not surprise that recruiting took a bit of a hit. Still some really good talent in the class.

Hawthorne and Benn sure are gonna give Juice some nice options to throw too!

Don't forget about Jarrod Fayson, a 5-star recruit who transfered from Florida after his freshman (2007) season. He sat out per NCAA rules last year and becomes eligible again this year.

The Illini offense, if the line lives up to its potential and Juice improves instead of regresses, is really stacked. I hope the new OC shows more willingness to use that talent than Locksley ever seemed to want to.

We also got RB Justin Green late. It's hard to gauge what kind of impact he'll have, since many recruiting services ranked him as a DB, but he passed over Ohio St. for a chance to stay in the backfield at Illinois, so you never know. I was disappointed we didn't get Kraig Appleton, though.

And then there's this jackass, who let a coin flip decide his final choice.

Either he took the decision way too lightly, or it was staged from the beginning for show. Why schedule a conference to commit, until you're sure where you're going? That was a prima donna move, and a disrespect to the other schools.

Signing day, and the recruiting process as a whole just piss me off. First off, like oddball said, it's ridiculous for a high school kid to announce his college choice in front of cameras and reporters. This, and HS coverage on ESPN and USA Today just plants the seed of entitlement in athletes earlier than ever before. Does the kid that gets the scholarship to study economics or medicine do the same thing? They don't, and the injustice is that the latter kid is the one that's actually going to use what the school provides them for the rest of their life. Even though only a small percentage of athletes will go pro, a great number of them are still only going through the motions of academic life with NFL and NBA dollar signs in their eyes. It's all such a huge waste of educational resources, the business of educating kids being what a school's core purpose is in the first place.

I wish college athletics could go back to a simpler time, when they were just a fun sidebar for the kids that were going to school there anyway. I can even understand offering scholarships for sports, but I hate the idea of schools pursuing kids. I think it should be the other way around. Let them decide where they want to go without all the pressure and corruption, and if they deserve it, they'll go.

I actually did this as a joke at home. I wish I could find that tape, I put about 5 hats on the table and had a ball under the 'winner'.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

Everything in this post is absolutely right, guys.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually did this as a joke at home. I wish I could find that tape, I put about 5 hats on the table and had a ball under the 'winner'.

This is the best idea I've heard all day.

But, shockingly, I agree with Milo somewhat. Most students have to apply to college. Colleges apply to the best football and basketball players.

But, shockingly, I agree with Milo somewhat. Most students have to apply to college. Colleges apply to the best football and basketball players.

The best part of it was the reaction of all my friends - when the ball wasn't under the light blue hat, the crimson hat, but the black one, they went nuts.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

The only interesting thing is the wrapup on busts from the 2005 five-star prospects.

You said the best part of today. you get to look back at the four year class before to see how your team (or other schools did). there are many from the top 50 prospects from class of 2005 that were never even declared academically eligible. There was a kid who attended Ole Miss who was in that realm, as with a kid who ended up not attending Florida State would up at Shaw university and working as a garbage man. Don't judge the class now, judge it after 3 or 4 years.

2005 was particularly brutal for 5 star prospects. Aside from the poor garbage man, there was a death (one guy od'ed after getting kicked out of UF and another (former Terp) is in jail for 8 years thanks to his role in a murder.

as a UNC fan,i look more toward how many recruits came from North Carolina,don't know why i do,but i do

but as a post before said,National signing day is huge in the south (the basketball one is bigger to many in NC),of the 119 FBS schools 52 (and Counting) are in the south,or at least what i consider the south.so clearly its not as big in some areas as others

with that being said,i'd rather watch the NFL draft anyway :DB)

yoo3.png

2005 was particularly brutal for 5 star prospects. Aside from the poor garbage man, there was a death (one guy od'ed after getting kicked out of UF and another (former Terp) is in jail for 8 years thanks to his role in a murder.

I may try to find teh actual list which they used from the radio station I heard on Wednesday. I really don't want to name names, as if it is not like I am not going to talk about Korleone Young. (Whoops!)

Well, I looked at the top recruiting classes by most of the people who know a little bit about it: (espnu, scout.com, rivals.com):

The good: MSU has a mid-to-lower Top 25 recruiting class in virtually everybody's opinion.

Ten SEC schools made most folks' top-25 recruiting rankings. That's pretty impressive. One thing's for sure.....the competition will sure be fun to watch.

Colleges recruit the top academic students in similar ways that they recruit student-athletes. The only difference is that they aren't shown on ESPN juggling hats, and their speaking skills are a hundred times more literate.

I have no problem with this glorification of kids signing with schools. I don't get all that excited about signing day, but I don't have any beefs about it.

Ten SEC schools made most folks' top-25 recruiting rankings. That's pretty impressive. One thing's for sure.....the competition will sure be fun to watch.

Colleges recruit the top academic students in similar ways that they recruit student-athletes. The only difference is that they aren't shown on ESPN juggling hats, and their speaking skills are a hundred times more literate.

I have no problem with this glorification of kids signing with schools. I don't get all that excited about signing day, but I don't have any beefs about it.

Honestly, it is THEIR day. Even when/if they were ever eligible or their life takes a sad downturn, they at least had school stopped, education haulted and a camera in front of them with their Sunday best to see them pick out a hat. I am surprised that school districts still think that this mess is a good thing.

Archived