Angels Concept

JayJaxon

I am mainly just trying out a couple of things here to gauge if I am going in the right direction. This is not a full concept my any means, but one of the two could certainly turn into one if I can decide where I want to go with this.

The one on the left is the first one I did. I posted it up to show anyone else attempting this in the future that it looks too much like the Rangers to really work. Although I think even the Rangers really don't know what they want to go with these days. I figured it was worth a shot.

Then I went with a completely new wordmark, and I even tried to add some yellow to the set to see if it would work. I'm not to crazy about the yellow outline around it, but I think it works for the halo. Let's hear what you guys have to say about it.

LAangels.png

Both ways, you're making them look too close to the Dodgers.

Simply inverting the colors makes the wordmark seem to have to much of a negative film effect, whereas the script logo seems to do even more to make them look too close to the Dodgers.

VmWIn6B.png

They aren't ugly but I'd miss the red if the team went with this. Right now, the one on the left looks too much like the Rangers. The one on the right looks good but would look even better without the yellow trim and with a thinner red trim.

May I ask why use Silver on the first one, and Gold on the second? Just curious..... Personally I would stick with the silver all the way.

Well I stuck with silver on the first one because I thought it fit....I mainly posted that one to show that it does indeed look too much like the Rangers.

I don't agree that it looks like the Dodgers because of the red, and let's not forget that for the longest time blue was a primary color of this team.

I agree with a couple of things though, the dismissal of the yellow outline and thinning out the Red outline would probably make the second one look better.

The one on the right gets my vote.

My suggestions: make th actual script red trimmed in navy with maybe a possible thinner gold outline. I like the idea of gold...LA being the "City of Angels" and all, and halos are generally gold in the minds of most. And speaking of halos, I like how you have the halo over the "A" in the "Angels" wordmark. While I wasn't the biggest fan of the Disney-land version of the Angels' uniforms from the Mo Vaughn/Jim Edmonds years, I did like the sense of motion and "flight" (though that may be a reach) that the overall package exhibited, and I see some more of the same in your wordmark here.

One thing, though: I wonder how a possible "tail" would look under that wordmark...one that extends from the "g" and up under the rest of the word. Just a thought.

One other thing...I'd work on the "connector" between the "g" and the "e"...and I just realized that that "s" probably isn't the correct version to use with a "cursive" script...but maybe you could find a way to modify it so that it looks like a cursive "s" and and arabic "s" at the same time.

Nice work, though...let's see where this goes.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Sorry, I'm going to have to say downgrade (but, like the rest of your work, it's still top notch).

I like the fact that LA's two baseball teams have a red vs blue thing going.

Also, the new cursive wordmark reminds me too much of Atlanta's.

How does this look? Better? I liked the idea of the tail, and at first I really didn't think I would be able to do it. But this is what I was able to come up with. Would a gold outline work now or would leaving it out be the best choice?

laa2.png

That would look nice on a dugout jacket, actually. Problem is that it's too close to the Dodgers and the Braves, while what they have now is pretty much their own.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That would look nice on a dugout jacket, actually. Problem is that it's too close to the Dodgers and the Braves, while what they have now is pretty much their own.

Yea, I don't want people to look at it and think Dodgers or Braves. So I may try to tweak it some more.

I like what they have now, but every recent concept is based off of that identity, and I wanted to kinda go in the other direction to see what people thought. The response is better than what I thought it was going to be.

By the way, I ran my new logo through vector magic. It looks much cleaner now. I'll probably post it up in a few.

The funny thing is that I've always thought the Angels' current script is too close to the Rangers, what with the points in the letters and the bevels and all.

As for your update, Jax...I'm liking the direction this is going. The tail is adding some flair to the overall look of it...though I'm not sure if it looks better now with the "extender" of the tail broadening out or coming to a point at the end. Also, the curve in the "g" that leads to that tail looks like it could use some smoothing out...it isn't "fluid" enough, if that makes sense. Furthermore, the connection between the "g" and "e" still needs to be worked out to where it connects seamlessly. As for the stems of the letters...decide whether you want those to have sharp, "squared off" corners, or rounded corners. It might also help to work out some type of "thick/thin" ratio with the letters i.e. widen the stems a little bit more...it might help the overall visual look.

One other thing I can see you may want to look at...right now I can see the entire wordmark skewing upward on about a 15-degree plane. May I suggest sorta "arching" that wordmark a bit, sorta like it was in the Disney-land era? Just a thought...kinda gives a subtle impression of "flight", IMO.

Keep at it, cat. This is getting good.

(Oh btw...now that I see this in this guise, the gold halo is enough. I now think the extra gold outline is unnecessary.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How does this look? Better? I liked the idea of the tail, and at first I really didn't think I would be able to do it. But this is what I was able to come up with. Would a gold outline work now or would leaving it out be the best choice?

laa2.png

That cursive script is beautiful. And I think with the dark red (maybe darken it a little more) and the yellow it is far enough apart from the Dodgers to work.

jNTsTyQ.png

I really like this wordmark a lot; it seems to combine the fun feel of the Disney set with the strong and serious feel of the current set. I definitely like the tail, it's a nice touch. I agree that it gives it the "flying" appearance. It would be cool to see this on a uniform. I think a cool cap idea would be a navy cap with a red brim, the "A" from this script, and a yellow ring around the top like the team used to use.

ph_407812.jpgNickAdenhart.pngph_458675.jpg

I have tried to change this up based on Brandon's analysis. I ran it through vector magic so it would be a bit cleaner. What do you guys think.

Angels_3_vectorized.png

A true work of art. Maybe change the outline to grey or white, I don't like blue for the Angels.

~?~

Archived