"AFL Legacy Weekend" games

RemembertheAFL

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had originally made a case for ALL the former AFL teams to participate. Professional Football disagreed. The Dolphins' uniforms have apparently changed only due to new manufacturing techniques, so they essentially already wear "throwbacks". Anything would be an improvement on the Bengals' too-busy uniforms, even the "Cleveland Brown imitation" uniforms that Paul Brown decked them out in.

Hello AC! Good to see you on this board. I'm very excited about the AFL throwbacks, with the possible exception of the Broncos going brown and mustard (see posts above). I must respectfully disagree with your comment about the Dolphins, however. With the introduction of navy blue, a fairly substantial change to the "aqua" color, and different striping patterns on the helmet, jerseys and pants, the modern uniform set is really not in any way a "throwback."

The Dolphins wear "navy blue"? Since when? 1967-1968: Miami69.gif

Latest wikipedia: Dolphins2009.jpg

If the Bills had changed that little, I wouldn't hate their 2009 uniform!

Since 1997. The shading on the numbers, the striping on the home sleeves, the logo on the helmet and the striping on the helmets and pants all contain navy in addition to the aqua and orange.

I agree with your point vis-a-vis the bills, though.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

1960 Uniforms ? Twice

I?ve noticed on the message boards and in the comments that many of you are wondering if the Broncos will don their ?throwback? jerseys any time this season ? the 50th anniversary of the team and the AFL.

Well, it has just been formally announced from the NFL Annual Meeting in Dana Point, Calif., that the original eight AFL teams ? the Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos, Kansas City Chiefs (then the Dallas Texans), New England Patriots (then the Boston Patriots), New York Jets (then the Titans of New York), Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and Tennessee Titans (then the Houston Oilers) ? will play head-to-head in one home and one away ?Legacy Games? to honor the anniversary.

As a part of those games, the teams will each wear their original jerseys. That means the Broncos will don their 1960 jersey ? a brown and yellow uniform with a brown helmet ? twice.

As far as the other AFC West teams go, the Chiefs will don their 1962 duds: a red and white uniform with a red helmet featuring an outline of the state of Texas. The Chargers will sport their 1963 jersey: white pants with a yellow bolt down the legs. The Raiders will wear their 1963 threads as well: a white (away) jersey that features silver numbers outlined in black, and a silver helmet with the original Raiders logo.

I don't understand some of the specifics of this post. It says each team will wear their "original jerseys", but then it goes on to say that some teams will be wearing jerseys from years other than 1960 -- which aren't their "original" sets. What I'm driving at here is why in the world would the Broncos choose to wear the brown and mustard monstrosities if they could go with one of the royal blue and orange designs more commonly associated with the franchise?

It's known as "TRADITION". Believe it or not, some of us remember those uniforms. And the Broncos, Oilers, and Patriots jerseys shown in the photo are AWAY jerseys. Still no answer to the question "Will they have both home AND away jerseys?"

the patch is PhillipsAFL50thLogo.gif. I'd rather see AFL50thLogoFromTitansSiteModifiedByAFC780h_small.gif, which has the right colors. Apparently, these patches will be worn ONLY on the throwback uniforms, with the team's individual (without AFL logo) patches on their regular uniforms.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself very well. As you might be able to deduce from my signature and avatar, I am well aware of "TRADITION," and I am ecstatic that the original AFL teams are going to celebrate it. (I'm even a longtime visitor to the "Remember the AFL" site :) ) My point is this: If all the teams were going to wear their uniforms from 1960, then so be it. But if some are choosing more attractive sets from different years, as it appears is the case, then why didn't the Broncos make that choice? I believe that the Broncos' royal blue and orange uniforms have more tradition associated with them than the second-hand brown and mustard togs that were purchased on the cheap from a defunct college game (the Copper Bowl) and, with the hideous vertically striped socks, made the team a laughingstock for its first two years of existence. That's not exactly the type of tradition I'd like to celebrate.

Now 'scuse my while I actually try to get some work done today :)

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I thought the only year the Raiders wore the white jerseys with silver numbers was 1970. Not 1963.

That's an interesting question which we have discussed on here before without any definitive resolution that I know of.

Here's a pic from 1963, featuring a jersey that's not widely remembered:

1963_11_24_BreauxD.jpg

Here's a pic from 1964:

1964_11_29_FraserJ.jpg

It appears to me that it was actually 1964 in which the Raiders wore the silver numbers front and back, although they were featured on the sleeves in 1963 (at least for their game in Denver). If anyone has any other pics of Riader away games from 1963 and '64, I'd love to see them.

The great powder blue mystery lives on. The Chargers will wear their '63 powder blues? One small problem...according to their own website, they didn't change from Pacific Blue to Powder Blue until 1968. Yet M&N's '63 Alworth throwback is powder blue, and so's the jersey in the NFL pic below. Can somebody clear this up?

IMO the original blue looks way better than the powder blue, but what do I know?

AFLjerseys_090324.jpg

pG01-2917534dt.jpg

12393.gif

12394.gif

12395.gif

12421.gif

12422.gif

P.S. The full story on NFL.com does not say the teams are wearing their 'original' jerseys, it says their 'chosen historic uniform.' What in God's name is wrong with the Broncos?!?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

It will be funny/ridiculous/stupid to see the Chiefs playing with the State of Texas on their helmets. I get it. It's throwbacks.

Wonder how many Chiefs fans will buy merchandise with Texas on it.

A KC sports radio station already is making a petition to change the logo......

http://www.jotform.com/form/90822940333

http://www.810whb.com/

then why didn't the Broncos make that choice?

According to the Broncos, the league made the choice for them. I was openly assaulting the uniforms on the Broncos' official message board, and the guy who authored the blog post from the Broncos HQ claimed that the league mandated the Donks wear the brown instead of something much cooler.

It makes it a tad easier for me to swallow that the league was the bumbling heavy that mandated this crap, but seems a bit like a deflection on the Broncos' part.

In any case, it's an enormous mistake.

It will be funny/ridiculous/stupid to see the Chiefs playing with the State of Texas on their helmets. I get it. It's throwbacks.

Wonder how many Chiefs fans will buy merchandise with Texas on it.

I don't know how many Chiefs fans will buy them, but AFL fans across the country may buy them. I'm in Buffalo, and I will, along with the Oilers memoranilia that the Tennessee fans won't buy.

then why didn't the Broncos make that choice?

According to the Broncos, the league made the choice for them. I was openly assaulting the uniforms on the Broncos' official message board, and the guy who authored the blog post from the Broncos HQ claimed that the league mandated the Donks wear the brown instead of something much cooler.

It makes it a tad easier for me to swallow that the league was the bumbling heavy that mandated this crap, but seems a bit like a deflection on the Broncos' part.

In any case, it's an enormous mistake.

See my page about "Celebrate the AFL". I sent several letters to the league and never got a reply. In correspondence from individual teams, I deduce (between the lines) that the league wanted to run the show, told them not to use the AFL logo on their individual team 50th anniversary patches, and decided to use the 50th AFL patch only on the throwback weekends. They apparently also decided to exclude the Dolphins and the Bengals, and I believe the proposition that they decided which uniforms would be worn, and when. Probably all decisions were made by someone who never saw a real AFL game, and has no affinity to the league. While the Broncos certainly had better-looking uniforms than the mustard and brown, at least the NFL did SOMETHING to finally acknowledge the AFL, whose last encounters with the superleague were to humble it, and give American Football League fans something to savor.

There's also the debacle that they also had gold numbsers, and seeing as those pics are black and white, I don't think we'll ever know.

There's no "debacle" [or debate] over the Raiders' first uniforms, and all the pics are not in black and white. This is a 1965 card, but the photo was from 1960 - 1962. Color photos of other players wearing these unis are extant.

1965Topps145Otto250w.jpg

There's also the debacle that they also had gold numbsers, and seeing as those pics are black and white, I don't think we'll ever know.

There's no "debacle" [or debate] over the Raiders' first uniforms, and all the pics are not in black and white. This is a 1965 card, but the photo was from 1960 - 1962. Color photos of other players wearing these unis are extant.

1965Topps145Otto250w.jpg

I am a big fan of your work on the Remember the AFL site and I know you are very knowledgeable about the AFL, but as someone who is relatively new to this site, you might not be aware of the previous discussions we have had on this topic. Please let me attempt to review:

You are correct that there is no debate about the colors of the original (1960-62) Raiders uniforms -- we all know they were black and gold. However, this thread began as a discussion of the throwbacks which will be used by the original AFL teams this year. The group photo shown many times above and other sources indicate the Raiders will be using uniforms from the 1963 season. Some uniform histories show the 1963 away uniforms as having silver helmets and pants, but with gold numbers. (There are some football cards from this era that appear to back this up, but they are hand-colored and as such not historically reliable, IMHO.) These are the gold numbers I believe Old School Fool was referring to.

I personally think it is unlikely that the Raiders would have totally changed their identity to black and silver and then kept gold numbers on just the away jerseys, but I have not seen any color pictures (aside from the aforementioned football cards) to conclusively settle this one way or the other. To add to the debate, from the photos I have posted above, it appears that the Raiders had away jerseys with black front and back numbers and light-colored sleeve numbers in 1963 (as verified by the helmets with the light colored shield background) and actually wore the jerseys with light-colored front and back numbers in 1964. So, I believe, there are still mysteries yet to be solved...

I love that the Broncos are wearing the original uniforms. It's a beautiful color combination, sadly unused in pro sports. If I was a Broncos fan, I'd be all over merchandise like that gold sweatshirt.

Be sure and get a pair of the socks, then wear them to a game with shorts and the brown jersey. :blink:

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I love that the Broncos are wearing the original uniforms. It's a beautiful color combination, sadly unused in pro sports. If I was a Broncos fan, I'd be all over merchandise like that gold sweatshirt.

Be sure and get a pair of the socks, then wear them to a game with shorts and the brown jersey. :blink:

There are a couple of places that sell said socks. Or similar.

Archived