"AFL Legacy Weekend" games

RemembertheAFL

1965_Oiler-Chargers_Lowe-Hadl.jpg

Though it's difficult to be certain, doesn't it appear that the RB has the bolt pants stripe while the QB has a 'normal' stripe? Interesting.

Also, unless I missed it, no one has addressed whether the '63 Chargers wore pacific blue or powder blue. Their site says pacific blue but their legacy jersey is supposedly the '63 jersey and it's powder blue.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, that ^ logo's the perfect AFL update. I wouldn't say it should be incorporated into the unis of all AFL teams, but it might make for a neat AFC logo.
And, a match would be a re-worked NFC logo using the 'N' from the recently-abandoned NFL logo font.
natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

I'm sad that they never updated the AFL logo - there are elements of it are nothing less than stunning even today - the eagle on the ball - but the A is just amateurish even by the standards of the time.

The "A" is basically Rockwell font, a font that is used widely today in NFL ads, etc. I don't think it's amateurish, I think it's a classic. What's amateurish is the logo below! The colors are wrong, the eagle is lopsided, the ball looks like a rugby ball, not the AFL's J5V, and the stars and the classic circle are missing.

The font may be in wide useage, but on the AFL logo, it looks amateurish.

Copperplate is in wide useage now, doesn't make it good design on a logo. We see that on a new unveiling, and we rightfully call it out as bad design.

I know you're the #1 AFL partisan, but even you have to admit that the league was maybe, just maybe, capable of actually being less than 100% perfect in every way. :P

I'm sad that they never updated the AFL logo - there are elements of it are nothing less than stunning even today - the eagle on the ball - but the A is just amateurish even by the standards of the time.

The "A" is basically Rockwell font, a font that is used widely today in NFL ads, etc. I don't think it's amateurish, I think it's a classic. What's amateurish is the logo below! The colors are wrong, the eagle is lopsided, the ball looks like a rugby ball, not the AFL's J5V, and the stars and the classic circle are missing.

The font may be in wide useage, but on the AFL logo, it looks amateurish.

Copperplate is in wide useage now, doesn't make it good design on a logo. We see that on a new unveiling, and we rightfully call it out as bad design.

I know you're the #1 AFL partisan, but even you have to admit that the league was maybe, just maybe, capable of actually being less than 100% perfect in every way. :P

It's a considered posture, emulating the way the NFL and its sycophants presented it vs. the AFL.

To be honest i always thought that this was a good stylized version of the AFL logo

4714.gif

I like that - where did it come from?

It came from the 1984 Professional Football season. Each of the "Original Eight" American Football League teams wore it on a (poorly designed) patch, with an image of the specific team's helmet on the patch. It was used on commemorative hats, T-shiirts, etc. The image below is from a Bills souvenir hat. Note that it was 1984, not 1985, that was the Silver Anniversary.

AFL25thLogo300w.jpg

An example of the AFL not being perfect - but wait - it was an NFL design.

It's a considered posture, emulating the way the NFL and its sycophants presented it vs. the AFL.

It does tend to damage your credibility, though. As does name-calling people who have done you no personal wrong. Good faith out the window in this state?

Look, I love the Packers. My family has had season tickets going back generations, someone in my family has owned stock since it was first sold. But even I can admit that the team has done some boneheaded stuff from time to time. More on-topic for this place, there are things I hate - hate - about the uniforms. And I haven't been ashamed to say so.

I like your site. I value your input. But I find it really hard to take seriously anyone who takes their own hyperbole to heart. Maybe that's your game, the rodeo clown character you play. But if you're going to do that, you should just turn the crazy dial all the way up to Glenn Beck and sign your posts with weeping emoticons. ;)

It does tend to damage your credibility, though. As does name-calling people who have done you no personal wrong. Good faith out the window in this state?

Look, I love the Packers. My family has had season tickets going back generations, someone in my family has owned stock since it was first sold. But even I can admit that the team has done some boneheaded stuff from time to time. More on-topic for this place, there are things I hate - hate - about the uniforms. And I haven't been ashamed to say so.

I like your site. I value your input. But I find it really hard to take seriously anyone who takes their own hyperbole to heart. Maybe that's your game, the rodeo clown character you play. But if you're going to do that, you should just turn the crazy dial all the way up to Glenn Beck and sign your posts with weeping emoticons. ;)

You're right, it's not an appropriate discussion for this topic. I'll save it for a better place. As far as uniform likes/dislikes, everybody (including me) has his own opinion. Because an individual has a personal dislike for something doesn't make his (my) opinion any better than anyone else's. I personally think that the uniforms of the late 'sixties (including those of the Packers, Bears, Giants and other old-line NFL teams that I loathed) were, in general, the best. They looked like football uniforms. Many of today's uniform elements, like the stubby sleeve stripes that look like someone used half a piece of tape, ditto for what used to be tapered "LSU stripes", etc., are not well-planned design elements but, rather, concessions to sewing and manufacturing expedience. Others seem to simply be "shock" elements, showing how fancy or different (forget aesthetically pleasing) a uniform can be. You may "like" some of them, but my eyes, not someone else's opinions, tell me what is good design. Please tell me what "names" I have called whom. And, believe it or not, I have no idea who Glenn Beck is.

And, believe it or not, I have no idea who Glenn Beck is.

Consider yourself very, very lucky. :D

I think labeling anybody "sycophants" qualifies as name-calling. Other than that, I find myself in great agreement with your posts. I suspect your opinions and mine are quite similar where æsthetics are concerned.

And, believe it or not, I have no idea who Glenn Beck is.

Consider yourself very, very lucky. :D

I think labeling anybody "sycophants" qualifies as name-calling. Other than that, I find myself in great agreement with your posts. I suspect your opinions and mine are quite similar where æsthetics are concerned.

I'm (no kidding) impressed to learn how to use the "æ". As for sycophants, see here.

The Titans have released their 50th Season patch. They're the only one of the Original Eight that does not still have some element of a name that was used at some time in the American Football League, and they're the only team that actually has "American Football League" on their patch!

50thPatchAFLOilers.jpg

I am loving the fact that the referees will wear the orange-striped uniforms for the AFL games.

http://www.remembertheafl.com/images/Throw...sAndRaiders.jpg

According to an NFL official quoted on UniWatch they will also have the sidelines set up like the AFL did.

What's the difference from the way it is in the NFL?

Also, I wonder how badly EA will utterly botch these unis in Madden NFL 10...

oakqb4.jpg

AFL ref uniforms? SWEETNESS.
They were beautiful. Look at it this way: with the resurgence of interest in the AFL, the Broncos may make it their "third jersey" one day.

GilchristDenverColor600w.jpg

The Broncos ought to make that their primary jersey today. It's the best thing they've ever worn.

It has the added bonus, unlike many classic uniforms, of being adaptable to the modern template - just chop off the orange sleeve beneath the bottom white stripe.

Agreed. With blue helmets and an updated Orange Crush "D/horse" logo.

They wore their then new blue helmets with the '66 jerseys for some of their '67 exhibition games. Here's a pic from the first pro game I ever attended: the Broncos victory over the Lions (before which Alex Karras famously said he would walk back to Detroit if the Broncos won):

1967_08_05_Lions-1.jpg

Here's an interesting pic from an old book on the Broncs. Although it's hard to see, the player is wearing the '65-'66 jersey style with the helmet that wasn't introduced until '68. I assume this must have come from a practice or scrimmage of some kind, because I know of no regular or pre-season game in which they ever wore this combo.

Barely_Audible_title_page.jpg

Here's a screen capture of the 1967 training camp from a Bronco history DVD. Notice the blue helmets with the old road jerseys. Interestingly enough, the offense actually wore newly purchased blue practice jerseys...

Broncos6.jpg

Incidentally, that's the late Lou Saban in the pic directly above...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

If I remember from video clips and pictures, didn't AFL sidelines have the individual yard marks outside the sideline? Aside from those and colored yard line numbers, what else was different from the NFL?

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I am loving the fact that the referees will wear the orange-striped uniforms for the AFL games.

http://www.remembertheafl.com/images/Throw...sAndRaiders.jpg

According to an NFL official quoted on UniWatch they will also have the sidelines set up like the AFL did.

What's the difference from the way it is in the NFL?

Also, I wonder how badly EA will utterly botch these unis in Madden NFL 10...

They were probably talking about sideline and endzone markings, not anything like location of harsh marks, which would affect the rules of play. But the Raiders, for example, used black and silver rhomboid (diamond) patterns in the end zones, and the hash marks were in the form of black diamonds.

Hey all: Just some news, the AFL 50 Hats have been put on the NFL Shop store. Not so bad, except very annoying Reebok mark. Nice AFL patch on the back and no annoying Mesh/Plastic/Velcro/Stripes/Contrast Stitching. It's just a hat. Will probably pick one of these up.

p5871906dt.jpg

Hey all: Just some news, the AFL 50 Hats have been put on the NFL Shop store. Not so bad, except very annoying Reebok mark. Nice AFL patch on the back and no annoying Mesh/Plastic/Velcro/Stripes/Contrast Stitching. It's just a hat. Will probably pick one of these up.

p5871906dt.jpg

I hate to admit it, but I kind of like that Bronco hat...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Archived