"AFL Legacy Weekend" games

RemembertheAFL

That's a good argument - the point of throwbacks, to my mind, is to celebrate the entire history of a franchise, not just the really shiny bits. Especially the parts people don't already know about.

I disagree. There are two points to throwbacks, I think. One is to sell more merchandise. The other is to celebrate a point in the team's history. Neither of those lend themselves well to obscure or "none shiny" moments. Who wants to buy a throwback from the year(s) when your team sucked? Why would a team want to celebrate that period at all? In fifty years I don't see the Lions throwing back to the 2003-2008 set. Better yet, would the Brewers' ball-in-glove logo be as popular if they sucked consistently while they wore it?

So for better or worse, I think throwbacks ARE about celebrating the shiny parts of a team's history first and foremost.

On an other level throwbacks serve an additional point, one severed by other uniforms as well. The identification of the team playing. Fans shouldn't even have to look at the score graphic to see who's playing if the uniforms are designed well enough. It's very possible for throwbacks to convey a sense of identity that's connected with the current primary sets. The Chargers, Bills, Chiefs, and Raiders all are using throwbacks that are both recognizable as throwbacks and convey a sense of identity at first sight. Even the Titans and Patriots are using throwbacks that at least partially fit the bill, be it through widely recognizable throwbacks (the Patriots) or the same/similar colours that are used on the primary sets (both the Titans and Pats).

The Jets and Broncos, however, are using throwbacks that have no relation to their primary set. At first glance will 99% of fans recognize the Jets as the Jets or the Broncos as the Broncos when they first turn on the game?

No, they won't. Is it nice that after the game some fans will become enlightened to the fact that the Jets used to be the Titans and wore navy and gold, or that the Broncos used to wear mustard and brown? Sure, I guess it is. That doesn't mean the uniforms don't fail on all levels, however.

The Broncos and Jets throwbacks do not celebrate prominent moments in their respective team's histories. For the Broncos these throwbacks represent an era of shame. Why would the teams want to celebrate these eras*?

As for fans, who would want to buy throwbacks from an era that your team sucked in? More to the point, why buy a jersey/cap/sweat shirt that other people won't instantly recognize as belonging to your team of choice?

*It is the 50th anniversary of the AFL, I understand that. And if that meant all teams would be wearing their 1960 sets, then I would be fine with the Broncos and Jets throwbacks. In fact I would also be fine with the Raiders and Bills throwbacks, as their 1960 sets aren't identifiable with their teams' primary identities either. If you're going to celebrate the AFL buy having its original teams wear their original uniforms, then hey, you take some for the team to properly pay tribute to the era.

That's not the case, however. The Chargers, Bills, Patriots, and Raiders are all wearing more recognizable throwbacks in place of their original 1960 sets. So the question is, if these teams could do that, why couldn't the Jets and Broncos?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a great display at the Draft this weekend at Radio City Music Hall for the AFL's anniversary, including jerseys and helmets from the clubs - that Broncos jersey is simply stunning in person. Sorry, no socks.

Remember, I thought of you and grabbed a couple extra copies of the pamphlet they were handing out - PM me if you're interested.

Regardless, nobody can ever say that the NFL is minimizing the impact or history of the AFL - they're full-bore behind this celebration, and doing it up right.

I'm surprised given the clientele here on the board that not one person responded (that I've seen) ref the apparently disconnect between the Chargers' powder blue throwbacks, supposedly from '63, and the fact that their own website confirms they were still wearing Pacific Blue in '63.

Anyone?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The better question is: why aren't other teams following the terrific lead of the Jets, Broncos and Chiefs? Why the chicken-hearted measures from the other clubs?

You can look at it that way if you want, but if the Chargers, Raiders, Bills, and Pats were allowed to forgo their original 1960 sets for more identifiable throwbacks in what had to have been a marketing decision (which, whether you like it it not is very important) then why didn't the Broncos and Jets? I'd say stronger marketing possibilities beat out nostalgia from eras when you weren't even that good any day of the week.

Again, if the NFL mandated the '60 sets be used by all the teams, then fine, everyone gets a pass. That clearly wasn't the case though, so boo on the Broncos and Jets.

*I give the Chiefs a pass for two reasons. One, the giant state of Texas logo aside, colour-wise they're still identifiable as the Kansas City Chiefs. I think most fans will notice the colours right off the bat rather then the logo.

Secondly, as far as KC goes, there's really no other choice they had as far as throwbacks go. Other than their Dallas Texans uniforms, they've pretty much worn the same thing, with a few minor changes here and there. There's nothing else they could have worn that would have been recognizable as a throwback.

There was a great display at the Draft this weekend at Radio City Music Hall for the AFL's anniversary, including jerseys and helmets from the clubs - that Broncos jersey is simply stunning in person. Sorry, no socks.

Remember, I thought of you and grabbed a couple extra copies of the pamphlet they were handing out - PM me if you're interested.

Regardless, nobody can ever say that the NFL is minimizing the impact or history of the AFL - they're full-bore behind this celebration, and doing it up right.

Any sign of a white version of the Jets Titans' throwbacks on display or in the pamphlet?

mets.png

Any sign of a white version of the Jets Titans' throwbacks on display or in the pamphlet?

Nope. But they didn't have the Broncos' road uniform either, and we've already seen that one.

I'm surprised given the clientele here on the board that not one person responded (that I've seen) ref the apparently disconnect between the Chargers' powder blue throwbacks, supposedly from '63, and the fact that their own website confirms they were still wearing Pacific Blue in '63.

Anyone?

I think you and I did on pages 2 and 3 of this thread... :)

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

The better question is: why aren't other teams following the terrific lead of the Jets, Broncos and Chiefs? Why the chicken-hearted measures from the other clubs?

You can look at it that way if you want, but if the Chargers, Raiders, Bills, and Pats were allowed to forgo their original 1960 sets for more identifiable throwbacks in what had to have been a marketing decision (which, whether you like it it not is very important) then why didn't the Broncos and Jets? I'd say stronger marketing possibilities beat out nostalgia from eras when you weren't even that good any day of the week.

Again, if the NFL mandated the '60 sets be used by all the teams, then fine, everyone gets a pass. That clearly wasn't the case though, so boo on the Broncos and Jets.

*I give the Chiefs a pass for two reasons. One, the giant state of Texas logo aside, colour-wise they're still identifiable as the Kansas City Chiefs. I think most fans will notice the colours right off the bat rather then the logo.

Secondly, as far as KC goes, there's really no other choice they had as far as throwbacks go. Other than their Dallas Texans uniforms, they've pretty much worn the same thing, with a few minor changes here and there. There's nothing else they could have worn that would have been recognizable as a throwback.

You do realize that no matter what AFL uniform the Broncos wore, it's from a time where they were just a horrible team, right?

They've done the '65 throwbacks in '94 and the '96 throwbacks in '01... I for one am REALLY EXCITED to see the Broncos wearing their ORIGINAL uniforms, complete with the vertically striped socks.

I've already ordered my yellow Champ Bailey jersey and that awesome throwback hat.

broncos00.pngnuggets00.pngavalanche00.png

Archived