"AFL Legacy Weekend" games

RemembertheAFL

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised given the clientele here on the board that not one person responded (that I've seen) ref the apparently disconnect between the Chargers' powder blue throwbacks, supposedly from '63, and the fact that their own website confirms they were still wearing Pacific Blue in '63.

Anyone?

I think you and I did on pages 2 and 3 of this thread... :)

We discussed it, yes, but I meant anyone who could offer an explanation or even a theory as to why the team itself doesn't seem to see the issue.

Is there some kind of Bat-signal we can use to summon Colorwerx? :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

20090425__20090426_CC10_SP26UNIFORMS~4.JPG

capt.cea9b10707e54dc8b9ce469bd459e706.broncos_draft_football_coea101.jpg

Reminds me of that episode of Family Guy where Stewie caught Meg toweling off after a shower. All he could say was "Ew, ew, ew, ew, disgusting, gross, ew, I hope I don't use that towel, ew, ew."

That was my exact reaction. 7 consecutive "ew's" :P

http://www.newyorkjets.com/blog/posts/1034...on-the-schedule

The only time the Jets will wear their navy jerseys will be Game 3 at the Meadowlands vs. the Tennessee Titans. We hear the Titans will be going with the powder-blue uniforms of their Houston Oilers ancestors, so that game will really capture the 50th Anniversary theme: (New York) Titans vs. (Houston) Oilers.

Then the white jerseys, never before worn by the Jets, will be unveiled in back-to-back games, also against original AFL opponents. On Oct. 26 the Jets will wear the white and gold at Oakland against the Raiders. The next week, they'll stay in the white jerseys to play the Miami Dolphins at the Meadowlands.

That will be the first home game in which the Jets wore white jerseys and forced the Dolphins to wear their aqua tops since possibly 1989.

As an aside, the Jets have worn white uniforms at home a few times since 1989, just not against Miami.

Also, that part about the Jets being in Titans navy and the Titans being in Oiler powder blue (confused?) can't be right, can it? The Titans, er, Oilers, I would assume have a white complement?

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

From that same article:

The even better news is that in two of those three games, the uniforms will be a new color scheme: Titans white road jerseys with navy letters and numbers and navy and gold striping to go along with the gold pants from the past two seasons.

This description of the jersey leads me to believe it will be a white version of the blue throwback they've been wearing the last two years rather than more accurate to the white jerseys that were actually worn by the N.Y. Titans which according to this graphic did not have the UCLA style shoulder stripe.

NYTitans60.gif

mets.png

Reminds me of that episode of Family Guy where Stewie caught Meg toweling off after a shower. All he could say was "Ew, ew, ew, ew, disgusting, gross, ew, I hope I don't use that towel, ew, ew."

That anybody can somehow not see the monumental beauty of this uni makes me sad for humanity.

Careful - that site's notoriously inaccurate.

The Titans did wear a white version with the UCLA shoulder stripes - at least in 1961, they did.

2655672685_203576826f_o.jpg

Thanks for shedding some light on this. I did a little more looking around and I actually have found a picture of the blue version without the shoulder stripe but not the white.

DonMaynard.jpg

I also found this picture which based on the title is labeled as from a Titans-Raiders game in 1962 with the N.Y. Titans in white.

RaidersvsNyTitans1962width750_001.sized.jpg

mets.png

Thanks for shedding some light on this. I did a little more looking around and I actually have found a picture of the blue version without the shoulder stripe but not the white.

DonMaynard.jpg

I wonder if that was a pre-season jersey, like the green ones the Jets would later wear.

The Jets had a lot of funky jerseys in the early days - check out the simplified "warm weather" alts players could individually elect to wear in the early 1970s.

DonMaynard.jpg

I wonder if that was a pre-season jersey, like the green ones the Jets would later wear.

The Jets had a lot of funky jerseys in the early days - check out the simplified "warm weather" alts players could individually elect to wear in the early 1970s.

And just for the hell of it, note the stadium in the background is the Polo Grounds.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Never thought I would be seeing the Broncos in their original 1960 colors. Then again, I was expecting them to wear these beauties from 1962....:

Denver62.gif

or their 1965 throwbacks....

Denver65.gif

....or maybe even the early "Orange Crush" unis from 1968:

Denver68.gif

YOZXkBG.png?1

p5872540dt.jpg

This shirt shows just how bad the Broncos anniversary logo is. It contains a very traditional layout and very traditional font, but the only team logo featured is the ultra modern current logo. I think something that contained the "spastic donkey," the "D/Horse" and the "Cyber Horse" would have looked pretty neat.

As it is, the "D/Horse" logo looks out of place because there's only the current logo on the Anniversary mark, which on a shirt like that should be used to tie the old and new identities together.

That anybody can somehow not see the monumental beauty of this uni makes me sad for humanity.

Here's the thing about those unis, from a purely objective POV.

Yes, it's a nice colour scheme, and an underused one at that. Yet that doesn't make these uniforms good. The jerseys are nice, as are the pants. The helmet, however, contains no mustard, and neither does the white road set. Considering mustard is the primary colour of the home jerseys, there's no excuse for its absence on the helmets or the road set.

Here are the tweaks that need to be made to make that set worthwhile....

Scale down to one set of brown pants. Ditch the road set with the white-brown-white striping pattern. Use the home set with the mustard-brown-mustard striping pattern for both home and road games.

Change the helmet striping pattern to mustard-brown-mustard. Keep the white numbers on the side.

Add mustard outlines to the brown road numbers.

Ditch the socks in favour of solid mustard socks.

In no way, shape, or form, are those "classic" Broncos vertical socks appealing.

....or maybe even the early "Orange Crush" unis from 1968:

Denver68.gif

I get a raging hard on for road uniforms that pair a white jersey with different colored helmets and pants, where the helmet color is darker than the pants color. Therefore, I love the color scheme of that Denver road uniform.

I hate the actual design, and would strongly encourage a modernization (lose the sleeve stripes, darken the blue, update the fonts, DESTROY THE GRAY FACEMASK, etc. etc.), but love the scheme.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

According to ESPN.com...

Teams to wear historic uniforms

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The NFL will stage 16 games this season to honor the American Football League, which turns 50 in 2010.

In announcing the 16 matchups Tuesday, the NFL said the eight original AFL teams will wear historic uniforms.

Eleven legacy games will be matchups among those original AFL teams: Buffalo; New England; San Diego; Denver; Oakland; Tennessee; Kansas City; and the New York Jets.

The Chargers actually began life in Los Angeles in 1960, while the Titans were the Houston Oilers and the Chiefs were the Dallas Texans. The Jets were known as the New York Titans back then.

The first legacy game is during the preseason, when Buffalo plays Tennessee in the Hall of Fame game Aug. 8 in Canton, Ohio.

On the first Monday night of the regular season, a doubleheader will feature Buffalo at New England, followed by San Diego at Oakland.

On Sept. 27, the current Titans are at the former Titans: Tennessee at the Jets.

On Oct. 11, New England is at Denver, while the following weekend has Tennessee at New England on Oct. 18, and Denver at San Diego on Oct. 19.

San Diego visits Kansas City on Oct. 25 in another legacy game, followed by the Jets at the Raiders.

Buffalo is at Tennessee and Kansas City at Oakland on Nov. 15.

Another legacy game has the Dallas Cowboys, wearing their jerseys from 1960 to 1962, at Kansas City on Oct. 11. The Texans and Cowboys shared the Cotton Bowl from 1960 to '62 before the Texans moved to Kansas City to become the Chiefs.

On Nov. 1, the Miami Dolphins, who joined the AFL as an expansion team in 1966, visit the Jets. On Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 26, Oakland visits the Cowboys. Three days later, Miami is at Buffalo.

On Dec. 8, the final legacy game has New England at Miami.

Game-worn jerseys and signed memorabilia will be auctioned off throughout the season, with money raised going to the NFL Player Care Foundation.

The AFL began in 1960 and lasted through 1969, when a merger with the NFL became official. The two leagues began playing championship games in the 1966 season, although the title game was not called the Super Bowl until the 1969 match between the Jets and Baltimore Colts.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Apparently, the Patriots will be wearing their throwbacks FOUR times this season. Awesomeness.

Archived