University of Kentucky SoD concept

eRay

Hey all, this concept has been a while in the making. Since selection Sunday to be exact.

I had been thinking about doing a System of Dress concept for a while, but didn't know which team to attack. My beloved Terps are an Under Armour school, and for good reason. Being a Celtics fan, naturally one of the next teams I thought of was the Kentucky Wildcats. The Celtics have had some very well known Wildcats on their roster throughout the years, and even a coach. It somehow seems fitting because both teams are among the most respected and successful in their respective leagues. I would recommend that everyone look at this page at least to get an idea about college basketball's winningest program of all time. Their history and prestige(minus a couple violations) really is very impressive. I don't have enough space to go into all their great teams throughout the years. But this year was a little different. They failed to make the field of 65, and they did so while wearing some pretty unique uniforms. For the sake of this concept I am going to argue that the uniforms were bad luck and claim that my concept will help them regain their college basketball power.

Whether it was the Untouchables, Rupp's Runts, The Undefeated Team, The Unforgettables, or the original Fabulous Five, it seemed that Kentucky never had a solid uniform look the way some other teams have. They have kind of always been trying new things or wearing the same shoe company templates as mid-majors. It doesn't seem right. In this concept I set out to make something that honors their history somewhat, but also gives them a unique and classy look that they can keep for a long time. That is challenge enough, but I also wanted to make it fit in with Nike's new SoD look so that if this is truly the future look of all Nike schools it won't be a problem. For the Home and Away uniforms I got inspired by an old uniform the school used to wear when Adolph Rupp was around. I think you can see what I borrowed from those unis and what I made up on my own.

tucky1.png

tucky2.png

For the alternates I had a huge problem. The only colors I used in the other uniforms were Blue, Gray, and White. Gray is just a trim color, and it seems like the trendy Alternate jersey color nowadays, so I wanted to stay away from that. Black is their current Alternate color and it doesn't work for them at all IMO. So I decided to try to SoD-ize a throwback. I looked through countless images of old uniforms for a good design, and then I found this beauty. The "Wonder Team" rocked these back in 1921 during Kentucky's first overly successful season. I wanted to honor them with an updated SoD version of their look. That is how the Alternate was made.

tucky3.png

Sorry for all the babbling, I just fell in love with this program when I started reading up on them. C&C is greatly appreciated. Oh, and don't overlook the player names and numbers. Tried to tie in the Celtics-Wildcats connection.

edit: credit to wyopokes2 for the template.

This is a very well thought out and cleanly executed concept, kudos. My only gripe is the collar and the color blocks at the tops of the shoulders. They don't seem to fit with the rest of the design. Maybe edit these area to incorporate the double stripe that the rest of the uniform utilizes. Also, that SOD faux-back rocks. It's a very original idea for college basketball.

The only thing I would like to see you change is the collar. I think you should make the blue stripe thinner (more like piping or outline width) to match the typical SOD jerseys which usually have no collar design or minimal striping on the collar.

The only thing I would like to see you change is the collar. I think you should make the blue stripe thinner (more like piping or outline width) to match the typical SOD jerseys which usually have no collar design or minimal striping on the collar.

Actually SOD collars are that thick. Some just have them colored, others don't.

I personally think this is an improvement over they're current SOD's, which aren't bad, but not as good as these. Plus no black alternate, which automatically recieves many kudos. Great job.

This is a great looking concept Eray. Very well thought out.

I couldn't agree more. This is the way all SoDs should be with classic designs and the template gives them a modern twist.

BTW, pepman, I doubt your going to get it if you want to want to say, PM that template NOW!!!!

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

I am very impressed with your work. Very well thought out and put into design.

You might want to submit them to UK now that "Dizzy" Gillespie is gone.

And I hope they toss out those hideous black uniforms for "The Big Blue".

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I am currently searching for another Nike school to fix up or improve upon. Any suggestions would be considered. Thanks again.

Pls. PM me the blank version of that SOD. I might be making one. Pls. e-mail me at basketballaddict_110895@yahoo.com.ph

There you go!

On-topic: I liked this concept.

Haha. This is not a request this is an order. eRay, you are lucky enough to have this guy ask for your template! You should feel honored.

I'm not a huge fan on the general SOD trend of having the side striping be much more towards the back and not centered, but you made it work with Kentucky. I like.

Why not try Oregon? They have awful SOD's, and since they are Nike's scapegoat you could get a little crazy. In a good way of course.

This concept is great. It is very clean and well done. I love the throwback, or faux-back as someone said.

And my suggestion would be USC.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Consider me a believer. I've been a big fan of SODs since they came out (with the obvious of exception of Oregon, for obvious reasons) because they're clean and simple, but still individual and nice looking. This one, however, is the best yet. Really classy, with no extra stuff, and captures UK basketball very well. This is an upgrade, which is saying something considering that UK currently has my second favorite SOD set (after Oklahoma). The home and road jerseys are excellent, but my favorite is that alternate jersey. Wow! Excellent picture, and really good execution. It looks like it comes straight out of the 20s, but also works really well in this day and age. Excellent, excellent job.

scotland_fifasig.png

It is funny which teams have been mentioned so far...Oregon was my top choice for obvious reasons and I guess thats where I will go next. I also considered USC and The Ohio State University, but figured other teams needed fixing that just didn't come to my mind right away. Also, logocruncher, Oklahoma is my favorite SoD uniform right now as well, talk about classy. Thanks for the kind words, and keep 'em coming if you want. ^_^ Oregon will be next, though this isn't a series per se.

Archived