CCSLC Championship Ring Thread

well the red sox has the "boston strong" emblem on theirs world series ring if that counts.

And that, in a word, was awesome. Truly a classy thing to do. But you have to admit, this is a newer trend. Really not common in years past, no?

The Canadian Football League rings started this trend.

The 1991 Toronto Argonauts had.... "Home" on the inside of their rings....

2006 - BC Lions - "Reason and Purpose"

2007 - Saskatchewan Roughriders - "Believe"

2008 - "We Got Them Right Where We Want 'EM"

2011 - BC Lions = "Make History"

I'm sure there were other rings from the CFL too.

----------------------------------------------------

In the NFL it looks like this trend caught on, starting in 2009....

Saints 2009 had "Special/Smell Greatness" and their scores from the games.

Packers 2010 had "1 Mind/Goal/Purpose/Heart" and the scores from their games too.

Giants 2011 had "All In" and "Finish"

Ravens 2012 ring had the scores and teams the ravens beat

well the red sox has the "boston strong" emblem on theirs world series ring if that counts.

And that, in a word, was awesome. Truly a classy thing to do. But you have to admit, this is a newer trend. Really not common in years past, no?

Packers 2010 had "1 Mind/Goal/Purpose/Heart" and the scores from their games too.

none of these were memorials, just sayings

none of these were memorials, just sayings

i believe the poster was taking about inside engravings - not memorials.

Lakers 2002 ring, paying tribute to legendary team announcer Chick Hearn

2002-Lakers-NBA-Ring.jpeg

Aw heck, I totally forgot about Chick! And I live in the LA area and have even had that ring on my finger!! Crap.

Great catch, on that one. Totally right you are!

A part owner of the Green Bay Packers

The people in this thread clearly know a lot about these special rings. If we can only come up with these handful of examples, then I think tributes on the outsides of rings are still fairly rare.

Inside the shank, however, is a different story. Sports-rings is right! there have been many a ring with INSIDE engraving. One of the first I remember seeing was inside the 1994 Rangers Stanley Cup rings where they memorialized breaking the 'curse' or drought since their last Cup championship. It had a circle with the year in it and a line going through it. Can't remember the year right now....1943? Maybe?

Anyways that was one of the first engravings I remember inside a shank.

I had not seen this ring before:

red-sox-lobshots-2013-ring.jpg

Uhhhh......wtf? Never seen that before. Is that picture a hoax by any chance? Has he been getting on of those every year or did Boston just give him one as a gift for some reason??? That is really weird.

I know POTUS usually gets rings, but not the commissioner..... Weird.

Anyone been to MLB's league office? Maybe like NFL they have collection of rings on display and it is customary to have comish name on the rings? I know Baseball HOF gets a world series ring from each team to display but I think it's usually owner's name on the shank.

I always wondered if David Stern got a ring as he is the only commissioner that I knew that hands out championship rings. Hocky HOF also gets a ring each year.

Anyone been to MLB's league office? Maybe like NFL they have collection of rings on display and it is customary to have comish name on the rings? I know Baseball HOF gets a world series ring from each team to display but I think it's usually owner's name on the shank.

I always wondered if David Stern got a ring as he is the only commissioner that I knew that hands out championship rings. Hocky HOF also gets a ring each year.

That's a great thought. You're probably right. Keep one of each for posterity....

Slightly Off Topic - But What the Heck.

Saw Draft Day over the weekend. This movie is fantastic! There was more "story" in it than I thought there would be, and the story-line really engulfed me.

I'm not giving away anything from the movie so I promise I won't spoil it for anyone who wants to see it.

Two comments about super bowl rings from the movie.

1) The fictitious Browns coach who was the former super bowl winning coach of the Cowboys proudly wore his Cowboys super bowl ring throughout the movie. Although there was no close up, it looked very similar (from afar) of the Cowboys Super Bowl XXX ring.

2) Great quote from the movie - I'm paraphrasing as I could not find the quote on the internet: "If football is the ultimate men's game then why do they give the champions jewelry?"

2) Great quote from the movie - I'm paraphrasing as I could not find the quote on the internet: "If football is the ultimate men's game then why do they give the champions jewelry?"

Hilarious! That movie LOOKS good in the trailers, glad to hear a firsthand account that is positive. I don't get out to see many movies these days but maybe I'll try to go see it. I will keep a close eye on that ring to see if I concur with you which ring it is. I know I don't have to tell you that they make up fake championship rings a lot : on Damon Wayans in The Last Boy scout, rings for North Dallas Forty, and for The Program with James Caan. I was pleased to see they at least used a correct copy of The Dolphins AFC championship ring in Ace Ventura with Jim Carey. But I digress.....

Question for the group: in the collective knowledge of all you fellow ring junkies, does anyone know why Bobby Bowden never wore any of his actual championship rings ? He always wore that one same ring with a red stone In The middle surrounded by diamonds?

I thought I read somewhere that he had that ring made up early in his career before FSU became a national power so that he would have bling to match other coaches that went into the homes of recruits. But I'm not sure.......any of you know about that?

TIA,

Karl

• Like 1

Question for the group: in the collective knowledge of all you fellow ring junkies, does anyone know why Bobby Bowden never wore any of his actual championship rings ? He always wore that one same ring with a red stone In The middle surrounded by diamonds?

I thought I read somewhere that he had that ring made up early in his career before FSU became a national power so that he would have bling to match other coaches that went into the homes of recruits. But I'm not sure.......any of you know about that?

TIA,

Karl

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?page=Mag15playforkeeps

"Bowden doesn't bother to wear his 1993 championship ring. He doesn't want his players to think he's satisfied. He doesn't wear any of his ACC title rings either, or the stash of bowl rings and watches he has hidden away in a dresser drawer. Those are for his 21 grandchildren. He wears only a ring given to him by Burt Reynolds, who was once an FSU running back."

I'm pretty sure this is the ring...

BOBBY_RING.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

"Bowden doesn't bother to wear his 1993 championship ring. He doesn't want his players to think he's satisfied.

Survival79 thanks for the explanation. When Rex Ryan came to the Jets (no Rex jokes please) he wanted to send a message to his players so he wore (and continues to do so sometimes) his Super Bowl XXXV Ravens ring that he received by being a defensive coach on that team. I believe other coaches do this too, to motivate and remind the players what reward awaits them if they win a championship.

"Bowden doesn't bother to wear his 1993 championship ring. He doesn't want his players to think he's satisfied.

Survival79 thanks for the explanation. When Rex Ryan came to the Jets (no Rex jokes please) he wanted to send a message to his players so we wore (and continues to do so sometimes) his Super Bowl XXXV Ravens ring that we received be being a defensive coach on that team. I believe other coaches do this too, to motivate and remind the players what reward awaits them if they win a championship.

Andy Reed does this also. He won a ring while a coach for the 96 packers. If you see him on the sidelines he's always wearing it.

t.jpg

Part owner in the Green Bay Packers