CHL team signs 10 year lease in Kansas City

KCScout76

CHL team signs 10-year lease to play in new suburban Kansas City events center

Poll of the Day:

What's your pick of our viewers' suggestions for the new minor league hockey team in Independence?

(they also have a place to suggest new names)

Fighting Peacocks - what the H*LL?? :blink:

Mighty MO's (Good suggestion - I can think of the Battleship Missouri as the logo)

Independence MO-tion (uh NO!)

Independence Scouts (Good, but it's been done before - let's not repeat history)

Independence Trumans (best one - however I can picture Jim Carey's face and a hockey puck hitting his head as the logo)

Mighty Pucks - What the H*LL?

Most of these are terrible. You can go the the Channel 4 News and suggest a name:

Fox4KC.com (Kansas City TV Station)

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Here's the deal with the name: see the Indendence Examiner (newpaper) article

Hockey team name -news article

"The team either has to have in their name, "Independence," "Independence, Missouri," or ?Missouri" " Heacock said. The name has to be acceptable to the city. The ownership group has indicated that their preference is Independence.

The $70 million dollar arena is half-way finished and scheduled to open late Fall 2009.

IndependenceHockeyArena.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I'm having a hard time thinking of a name. I simply can't come up with a real solid one. Sure, you could go the Patriots, Freedom, route...but that's predictable.

Here are some...

Missouri/Independence Mauraders

Missouri Mules

Missouri/Independence Minutemen

Independence Insurgents

I don't know I got nothin'.

I'm going to make some wacky plays on the whole "Harry Truman" angle, with him being from Independence:

Independence Haberdashers/Hatters -- The business he owned for a while when he lived there.

Independence Machine - in reference to Truman's political beginnings in the "Pendergast machine"

Independence Bombers-- Harry dropped the big one in WWII - twice!

Men from Independence -- Play on his biography, "The Man from Independence"

and not so wacky...

Independence Bucks -- As in his famous placard on his Presidential desk, "The buck stops here"

Oh, and since Missouri can also be used....

Missouri Compromise

It is what it is.

I'm going to make some wacky plays on the whole "Harry Truman" angle, with him being from Independence:

Independence Haberdashers/Hatters -- The business he owned for a while when he lived there.

Independence Machine - in reference to Truman's political beginnings in the "Pendergast machine"

Independence Bombers-- Harry dropped the big one in WWII - twice!

Men from Independence -- Play on his biography, "The Man from Independence"

and not so wacky...

Independence Bucks -- As in his famous placard on his Presidential desk, "The buck stops here"

Oh, and since Missouri can also be used....

Missouri Compromise

Bucks won't work....there is already a Laredo Bucks. We need not go down the whole AHL Admirals, CFL Rough Riders/Roughriders road again. :D

Somehow Compromise doesn't sound like a good name for a hockey team to have, sounds wishy-washy.

• 3 weeks later...

I would have to vote for either...

Independence Trailblazers/Trailheads/Trailcutters due to the association with the Santa Fe, California and Oregon Trails.

or

Independence Saints since the city was the founding point of the Latter Day Saint movement.

canada.png

Independence Trailblazers/Trailheads/Trailcutters due to the association with the Santa Fe, California and Oregon Trails.

or

Independence Saints since the city was the founding point of the Latter Day Saint movement.

Well they have the Oklahoma City Blazers so there goes the first option.

I read in the OSC boards the names Pioneers for these reasons listed there:

1. Aquired from Louisiana Purchase

2. Lewis and Clark stopped here

3. Starting point of Oregon Trail

4. Mormons (LDS) settled here before Nauvoo and later Utah

I also like the name Settlers, Saints, or Presidents.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

or

Well they have the Oklahoma City Blazers so there goes the first option.

Only for one more year.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

INDEPENDENCE, Mo. ? Independence Pro Hockey, Kansas City?s newest metro-area professional sports franchise, announced the final 10 nominations to be considered for its team name.

The finalists are:

Independence Freedom

Independence Ice Hawks

Independence Outlaws

Independence Pioneers

Independence Presidents

Missouri Bullfrogs

Missouri Express

Missouri Maulers

Missouri Mavericks

Missouri Mules

Fans may participate in a marketing poll and cast their vote via examiner.net or independenceprohockey.com. Deadline to vote is May 11. The franchise will unveil the official team name, color scheme, and branding campaign thereafter.

Team ownership and front office personnel evaluated more than 1,000 potential team names, and 2,917 entries during the two-week nomination period.

?The interest level has been staggering the past two weeks...stronger than we initially anticipated,? noted team president Brad Lund. ?We are excited about our diverse list of finalists, and look forward to the market?s input.?

Season tickets, starting at $352, are currently on sale and available by calling (816)252-7825. The expansion franchise?s home opener is slated for the weekend of Nov. 13-14 inside the brand new Independence Events Center.

Archived