This is the Favre that never ends

Bleujayone

Hopefully this paves the way for Donovan McNabb to lead the Vikings to a 10-6 record and a NFC Championship Game loss (to the Eagles, lol) next year.

I wonder if just signing a new veteran QB is the best way forward for the Vikes. There is a possibility at least this year of some decent QBs falling down the first round of the draft. Is there long time benefit to trying to pick up a Clausen or a Bradford in the draft, perhaps on top of signing McNabb, or perhaps just taking one of the better QBs and throwing them in the game from the start?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully this paves the way for Donovan McNabb to lead the Vikings to a 10-6 record and a NFC Championship Game loss (to the Eagles, lol) next year.

I wonder if just signing a new veteran QB is the best way forward for the Vikes. There is a possibility at least this year of some decent QBs falling down the first round of the draft. Is there long time benefit to trying to pick up a Clausen or a Bradford in the draft, perhaps on top of signing McNabb, or perhaps just taking one of the better QBs and throwing them in the game from the start?

I am convinced that you do not watch or follow football at all. Why on earth would a team that is THISCLOSE turn everything over to a rookie and start over? It would be completely ridiculous to do so, unless there was absolutely NO other option. The management of that team should be fired immediately if they turn it over to an unproven, untested draft pick. Someone like McNabb, who already has a great relationship with the coach, and kinda knows the offense, and has been tested (though it's debatable about whether he's passed those tests or not) would clearly be the right move.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am convinced that you do not watch or follow football at all. Why on earth would a team that is THISCLOSE turn everything over to a rookie and start over? It would be completely ridiculous to do so, unless there was absolutely NO other option. The management of that team should be fired immediately if they turn it over to an unproven, untested draft pick. Someone like McNabb, who already has a great relationship with the coach, and kinda knows the offense, and has been tested (though it's debatable about whether he's passed those tests or not) would clearly be the right move.

he wouldn't be the first eagle to go to the vikings. just sayin. he did somewhat resurrect his career. so maybe its what MCNabb needs to do.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

This is the Favre that has now ended. ESPN may try to fabricate, but I think he's done and done for good. So what does this one last year mean?

To the vikes: It's hard to say the experiment failed. He brought them the 2-seed and near the Super Bowl. Anyone who thinks T-Jack would have done that is kidding themselves. Despite the agonizing way the season ended, all I can ask is that a team give me reason to pay attention well into the year. And that happened. Childress clearly was in the right going after Favre.

To Favre: It probably helps his legacy. So many stars go and have unceremoniously ends to their careers in other cities. Favre did that in NY he came here this year and had a great year, arguably his best. He made so few mistakes (ironic way to end it, eh). To come in at this age and have this kind of a year and bring them this far probably helps the legacy. They probably win that game if it's at home and the late season swoon was not his fault.

The Vikes future: Probably two uncermonious 8-8 seasons with T-Jack at the helm and then off to LA. There is no way we're coughing up a stadium here in Minnesota. We're more against it than most places (the Twins thing was a sneaky miracle). For however long they are around, they remain the Cubs of the NFL. However, they remain the Cubs of the NFL. When it counts they find a way to lose. Favre should be done. T-Jack is clearly not the answer. Rosenfels could not even get above T-Jack on the depth chart, so he's not the answer. Being a Viking fan is tough. And this was just one more great example of that.

On the stadium issue how come they could not work something out with U of Min and build one stadium for both the Gophers and Vikings, Pitt and the Steelers are a successful partnership in a nice stadium.

The Golden Gophers stadium is pretty run down, old, and shabby.

http://stadium.gophersports.com/

It also has an alcohol ban, and would the state be willing to pony up for a stadium expansion already?

I think they could get around the alcohol ban if they accomodate the vikes. (I'd hope they'd keep it for college, though). It's a beautiful stadium. I'd be lying if I said I really know why the talk of putting them both there stopped. It was going for a while. My college football bias (even though I am not a Gopher fan) tells me to keep it college only, but if they could get the Vikes in there, it beats 'em moving.

I can only offer a few uneducated guesses.

• the difficultly in accommodating parking for 30,000 added fans?
  • The U of M fears of having 20,000 empty seats per game?
  • The Vikes desire to have a big ol' off-ramp stadium where they can charge $20 a head for parking?
  • The Vikes wanting NFL "state of the art" (retractable roof, a million seats) as opposed to "college state of the art" (upper level on top of the action, some intimacy)
  • The Vikes and the "U" simply not being able to get around some of the particulars of the agreement/

It's probably some form of the last bullet, but there is probably someone from Minnesota here who knows better than do i.

I seem to recall that there was some concern about sharing the revenue from non-football events, or something like that. In the end, the Vikings decided that they wanted a building all their own. Which right now is not looking like a very smart decision.

he wouldn't be the first eagle to go to the vikings. just sayin. he did somewhat resurrect his career. so maybe its what MCNabb needs to do.

He would join an exclusive club, featuring such members as Chris Carter, Randall Cunningham, and Greg Lewis. Well, maybe it's not that exclusive after all.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am not saying that the Vikes shouldn't sign McNabb, but part of there mind set if they do that seems to be to keep making short term decisions at Quarterback, and if they are going to be consistently very succesful, rather than very succesful every now and again and a bit mediocre in between, then perhaps they need to plan for the future at QB, and draft a decent QB at the same time. This year could be a decent year for picking up a decent QB relatively late in the first round of the draft, and I wonder if the Vikings shouldn't be thinking in those terms, on top of thinking of a veteran QB signing.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I am not saying that the Vikes shouldn't sign McNabb, but part of there mind set if they do that seems to be to keep making short term decisions at Quarterback, and if they are going to be consistently very succesful, rather than very succesful every now and again and a bit mediocre in between, then perhaps they need to plan for the future at QB, and draft a decent QB at the same time. This year could be a decent year for picking up a decent QB relatively late in the first round of the draft, and I wonder if the Vikings shouldn't be thinking in those terms, on top of thinking of a veteran QB signing.

Shhh... don't tell them that!

Signed, a Packers shareholder. :D

They can draft their QB of the "future" and have him sit behind McNabb for two or three seasons, like Kolb did (or is doing) in Philadelphia. You don't waste this opportunity by letting a rookie get on-the-job training at the expense of a potential championship season. Look at Aaron Rogers in GB. Sat for a few, stepped in and was very good almost right away.

Windows of opportunity generally close pretty fast (for most teams - not many are good at sustaining success) so you have to take advantage when you can, which in this case calls for a short term fix. A team can still develop its long-term future while focusing on the immediate needs of the present.

They can draft their QB of the "future" and have him sit behind McNabb for two or three seasons, like Kolb did (or is doing) in Philadelphia. You don't waste this opportunity by letting a rookie get on-the-job training at the expense of a potential championship season. Look at Aaron Rogers in GB. Sat for a few, stepped in and was very good almost right away.

Windows of opportunity generally close pretty fast (for most teams - not many are good at sustaining success) so you have to take advantage when you can, which in this case calls for a short term fix. A team can still develop its long-term future while focusing on the immediate needs of the present.

My worry with the Vikings is this- when was the last time they had a long term starting QB? It seems a long time ago. They do seem fond of a short term fix at QB, and have been for a while, and as I say, in the last say 20 years, they have had short periods of success, and longer periods of mediocrity. Name me one succesful NFL team in recent history that hasn't been pretty secure at QB, even if that QB isn't a great player? The Ravens maybe, but how many teams that have reached the Superbowl have done so without a long term answer at QB, whether or not they are a great player?

I think it would be very much like hiring a different Head Coach every year or two. And look at the success of the teams that do that. I agree that if Favre doesn't return next year, then McNabb could be a useful acquisition, but IMO the Vikings do also need to take a long term view at QB.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Well... yeah - which is why I said that they could do what other successful teams do and draft a guy to be tutored for a couple of seasons before stepping in and (hopefully) becoming the long-term solution. You're arguing against yourself here.

Beyond just Rodgers, I'd look at the Brett Favre Quarterbacking School since the early 1990s. Matt Hasselback, Aaron Brooks, Mark Brunell, all watched Favre play in their first seasons in the NFL, and all went on to do pretty well once they got a chance to play regularly.

My worry with the Vikings is this- when was the last time they had a long term starting QB? It seems a long time ago. They do seem fond of a short term fix at QB, and have been for a while, and as I say, in the last say 20 years, they have had short periods of success, and longer periods of mediocrity. Name me one succesful NFL team in recent history that hasn't been pretty secure at QB, even if that QB isn't a great player? The Ravens maybe, but how many teams that have reached the Superbowl have done so without a long term answer at QB, whether or not they are a great player?

I think it would be very much like hiring a different Head Coach every year or two. And look at the success of the teams that do that. I agree that if Favre doesn't return next year, then McNabb could be a useful acquisition, but IMO the Vikings do also need to take a long term view at QB.

Daunte Culpepper held the starting job in Minnesota for five pretty good seasons in Minnesota in the early 2000s before he fell victim to both "running QBs syndrome" and an obliterated knee.

That's decently long term by NFL standards.

Also, you want your reasonably successful team without a QB? Chicago.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Not building TCF Bank Stadium as a shared stadium was retarded. god who cares about gopher football

No, no. God cares about the Cowboys. That's why they built a billion dollar stadium with a zillion dollar TV and a hole in the roof. That way God can watch both the Cowboys and kiss cam at the same time.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Not building TCF Bank Stadium as a shared stadium was retarded. god who cares about gopher football

No, no. God cares about the Cowboys. That's why they built a billion dollar stadium with a zillion dollar TV and a hole in the roof. That way God can watch both the Cowboys and kiss cam at the same time.

Fish in a barrel, Gitlin. Below you.

newsig.jpg

Archived