This is the Favre that never ends

Bleujayone

Brett, buddy. You've really gotta learn to walk away. I mean really you should have done so a year ago, but one would have thought that after the debacle with the Jets you'd be looking at new John Deere's with some of your dignity and legacy intact. Instead, you're risking alienating your beloved Green Bay fans ever further by potentially signing on with one of their most hated rivals. Y'know I seem to recall several other sports greats signing on with other teams in an attempt to stave off a pro athlete mid-life crisis, and as many people in here have posted, very few if any of them ended very well.

-------------------------------------

Brett Favre....a Minnesota Viking?

Is Brett Favre seeing Minnesota Vikings purple in his future?

Pioneer Press

The Latest buzz is that new free-agent QB Brett Favre, 39, who could end up with the Vikings, has hired a personal trainer at home in Mississippi.

Favre's sudden arrival on the market makes you wonder if that's the reason the Vikings haven't spent much on free agency this year. Maybe they knew something.

The ESPN Monday night Vikings-Packers game Oct. 5 at the Metrodome, if Favre is the Vikings' QB, could set a viewership record.

There is little doubt that if the Vikings could sign quarterback Brett Favre, they would sell out their remaining season tickets within 48 hours. For that and other reasons, it will be surprising if Favre isn't with the Vikings in training camp.

Back in February, Favre asked for his release from the New York Jets. The Jets said no. So Favre, now 39, said he would retire. End of issue.

But after last weekend's NFL draft, after the Jets chose QB Mark Sanchez from Southern California, Favre asked again for his release. His request was granted.

And that has become the juicy question. Why did Favre now want to get released from the Jets?

There could be two motives: wanting to play for the Vikings, who have wanted him for a year, and a $20 million pot of gold.

The $20 million isn't a new playing contract. The Vikings probably could sign Favre for about $7 million for the coming season, with about $3 million more available in performance bonuses, such as winning the Super Bowl.

The $20 million, remember, is what the Packers, for whom Favre played 16 seasons, offered Favre nearly a year ago to retire from Green Bay. The 10-year marketing deal would have made Favre an ambassador for the franchise.

Now that the future hall of famer has been released by the Jets, Favre could have new leverage: Give me the $20 million and I'll stay retired. If not, I'll sign with the Vikings and make life miserable for the Packers.

Besides Minnesota, the only other possibility for Favre as a player this season, assuming his injured right arm is sound, would seem to be Washington. But his chances to win would seem better with the Vikings in that the Redskins are in a tougher division (NFC East) with the New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys. Washington, though, probably would pay more than Minnesota for him. Favre still has a stronger arm than new Vikings QB Sage Rosenfels, whose arm is fine at intermediate lengths.

At this juncture, it appears there are only three ways for the Vikings to improve at quarterback: Favre, Michael Vick, or trying to trade with Cleveland for either Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson.

Signing Vick, though, might turn the Vikings into a halfway house. Best bet is that Vick, who'll get counseling from former Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy, ends up in San Francisco.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not quite sure about the whole Vick to SF thing. Is he really a Singletary type of guy?

On Favre, I am not sure about this story. I'm really not convinced of the sense of signing such an old guy to a deal. Seems like the Vikes would be giving up a lot for a guy who might only play a year, maybe less. I wouldn't read to much into the personal trainer thing. The guy has been a pro athlete for the best part of 20 years, and for the first time in a long long time he finds himself without training instruction. I would suggest maybe he is just looking to keep in shape. Maybe I will be proved wrong, but I am not buying into the Favre conspiracy thing.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm not quite sure about the whole Vick to SF thing. Is he really a Singletary type of guy?

Can't play with him. Can't coach with him. Can't win with him. Can't do it.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I don't see it. According to Jets team doctors, his arm needs surgery. If he had the surgery at the end of the season, he'd have been ready to go by the end of training camp.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the Packers would gladly give him the cash to come back in the fold. He doesn't need leverage.

Jim Rome said it best:

"In other news, Brett Favre has been released from the Jets' inactive/retired players list. Ok."

And just stopped there. Which is what Favre should do.

Jim Rome said it best:

"In other news, Brett Favre has been released from the Jets' inactive/retired players list. Ok."

Phee-nomenal quote from Jim Rome. He really brought it on that one.

Jim Rome said it best:

Phee-nomenal quote from Jim Rome. He really brought it on that one.

I know right? Fan-tastic. Be-autiful quote.

I get the feeling Singletary is a Dikta type coach high strung and ordered and discipline for the players, so No.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

If Favre comes out of retirement, does Madden follow? :upside:

Don't give the legendary broadcaster any ideas. ;)

Honestly, Mr. Farve, make up your mind! We don't like going through this.

BTW, somebody better get a Lamb Chop, Charlie Horse & Hush Puppy pictures up. :)

Not that he's going to be able to play without going under the knife and doing months of rehab....

But if Brett does decide to come back, then let the son-of-a-bitch go to Minnesota and play his way out of the Hall Of Fame. What do I really care? <_<

6uXNWAo.png

I get the feeling Singletary is a Dikta type coach high strung and ordered and discipline for the players, so No.

Yeah the other thing that occurs to me about Singletary is he seems to be a team kind of guy, and picking up Vick is going to destroy that in some ways, and put a huge spotlight on one guy. Vick to the Vikings in some ways would seem more likely than either Vick to the niners or Favre to the Vikings.

Incidentally my point on Vick is really that it occured to me right off that that one line, Vick to the 49ers, kind of destroyed whatever credibility an already fairly speculative piece of writing had.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Even if Brett decides to go to Minny, you'll probably only get a year out of him but wherever he goes it doesn't matter I still have respect for him and this won't taint anything the guy just loves this sport too much to leave it.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

At 39, he's still good to go. That's quite an accomplishment but at the same time, I hope this does not become an annual offsesson tradition. Which team will Brett sign with next? <_< This is getting dumb. Let him finish his career for good with one team only or have faith in your young prospects and don't sign him.

At 39, he's still good to go. That's quite an accomplishment but at the same time, I hope this does not become an annual offsesson tradition. Which team will Brett sign with next? <_< This is getting dumb. Let him finish his career for good with one team only or have faith in your young prospects and don't sign him.

Except that he's not. As stated multiple times in this very thread, he needs surgery and rehab before he could think about playing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Lets look at this whole thing from both sides of the coin. From any team thinking of signing Favre, he's no guarantee of success. One of the best QBs in football history has 1 ring to show for it. The Jets looked pretty weak down the stretch even with him under center. Hes getting older all the time, and is already banged up.

From Favre's point of view, he doesn't really have a lot to gain. Sure the Vikes aren't in the strongest division, but even if you get to the playoffs, there is no guarantee of success. And short of winning the Superbowl what other motivation can Favre have? He's done everything surely he could possibly do! And if he did win it all in Vikings then Peterson would take some of the credit on offense.

I don't really see this working out on either side. Favre would take a lot of money, would only play for a year or two, and then the Vikes are back in a whole under center, possibly without much strength in the draft to select the best QBs.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived