Houstizona Asacks

espo

I smiled.

Yeah, one of the two teams has to yield to the other here. The colors work better for the DBacks, but I associate them more with the Astros, so I don't know. Maybe the Astros are due for a change. I particularly like the argument "sure you can have two teams that wear brick/sand/black, because look at all the teams that wear navy blue with red." Uh huh, yeah.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If I were to ever take the plunge and make a concept, the Astros would be among my first priorities. I think they should be the ones to vacate those colors. I know Houston's an Old West city, but I think they need to drop any attempts to invoke that in their look, as long as they're named the Astros. Instead, they need to go with something spacey looking. I think considering that, they could get away with a primarily black and white look, to invoke deep space, and also work some shuttle imagery into their identity. Maybe some deep, deep blue if just black and white is too stark, but that's about it.

First off... "Asacks"... *snicker*

Second, yes the Houston Astros colors are navy and orange... even if they don't wear them. Do a google image search for "astros uniform" and see how often the rainbows pop up. Way more than any other team's 25 year old uniform does. Its just the color scheme I think of when I think of the Astros... like the Padres are brown and gold.

I don't think the 'Stros will be changing color schemes anytime soon. The fans love it, before Arizona came along after they ditched the purple, this was such a unique scheme to baseball. Whether it fits with the name 'Astros' or not, their identity screams 'Houston' and that's enough for the players and fans. I would be a little disappointed if Houston went and changed colors, but I guess I am of the dissenting opinion on this topic.

I don't think the 'Stros will be changing color schemes anytime soon. The fans love it, before Arizona came along after they ditched the purple, this was such a unique scheme to baseball. Whether it fits with the name 'Astros' or not, their identity screams 'Houston' and that's enough for the players and fans. I would be a little disappointed if Houston went and changed colors, but I guess I am of the dissenting opinion on this topic.

Yea, but the Astro's logo and colors should be spacey looking and have a navy/orange look, or a gray/red/orange look (like my concept) if navy/orange doesn't work. I really don't like it when a team named the Astros has a more Old-West look; that should be reserved for the Rangers or maybe D-Backs. Didn't ownership want to rename the team a few years back?

As for Arizona, I think that using yellow-gold would look much more unique and better than sand for the new look.

Yes, they were going to become the "East Texas Railmen." Apparently "Uncle Drayton" was trying to win the NWA World Tag-Team Championship or something. Good grief.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't mean this in a mean way, so please don't take all of this that way...

I'm not sure if you're trying to say that the red and black (which they've only had for 10 years) screams "Houston," but if you are, I have to disagree. I go to Houston on an annual basis, and I don't think of red and black, when I think of Houston.

Houston has had red (or some offshoot in the case of the Astros' "brick") in play for all three of its major sports teams at the same time only since around 2003 when the Rockets went back to red. The Texans are a newb franchise (and it could be argued that red is only a secondary color for them, given that their helmets are blue and their main dark jersey is blue), and the Astros had navy blue and orange for 32 seasons and navy and gold for another six.

As a longtime Astros fan, to me, navy and some other color says "Astros." But I'll concede that the Astros could wear "brick" and black for another 30 years, and if I'm lucky enough to be around that long, I'll probably think of navy and some other color as the Astros. I'm just stuck in my ways, and I would be wrong to think about navy being the Astros' true identity if they're still in "brick" and black in another 30 years.

You're right about them probably not getting a color scheme change anytime soon. The main colors ("brick" and black) are close to the colors of the owner's trucking company, and the owner likes the "brick" tops. That, plus the fact that the road "brick" tops have Cool Base material, is why you see the Astros in "brick" on the road almost exclusively now.

mclane.jpg

o27gfthh2h0bwnfh68ho5xhhg.gif

Not an exact match but in the same neighborhood.

I noticed some older printed material where the brick became more orange. Now that's all I see when I see brick.

Also, I wouldn't mind the black becoming navy or even Texans' "deep steel blue."

Houston has had red (or some offshoot in the case of the Astros' "brick") in play for all three of its major sports teams at the same time only since around 2003 when the Rockets went back to red.

The Oilers had red in their logo since the 70's. The Rockets have always had red (even during the PJ phase). University of Houston is red & white.

But, hell, it's not like red is an obscure color that no one else uses. I'm sure many other cities are filled with red teams.

But, hell, it's not like red is an obscure color that no one else uses. I'm sure many other cities are filled with red teams.

Atlanta for one.

DC as well.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Damn. I was hoping this thread would have something to do with a certain aptly-named Duke quarterback.

610x.jpg

If one of the two should change, I agree it should be the Astros, although I like their current look. But if they were going to change, why not take some inspiration from the Apollo lunar landers and go with a black and metallic coppery gold scheme?

apollo11_lem_big.gif

Archived