Minnesota Hawks

-kj

Ok, here's an idea that I'm playing with, the Minnesota Hawks. I kindof like it, but I know that there are big problems with it from a realism standpoint, especially the head. Please, feel free to pick it apart.

(Click for larger version.)

hawks-sm.png

[Note: This may not display correctly with IE/Win, as it's a PNG with an alpha transparency. It may show a background colour on the image, which it shouldn't.]

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Why not have it flying up?

In terms of the eyes, hawks have much more deeply set eyes, with a hard 'eyebrow' that is low and almost automatically makes them look angry.

The colour scheme is cool, and the idea is there, now it's just that little matter of execution... good luck Mockba!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Why not have it flying up?

Mostly because I wanted to use the wings to create part of the shield shape.

Meh, I suck with trying to draw real items. Give me abstract, or wordmarks, and I'm much more in my element. Meh.

POTD 2013-08-22

Unfortunately, that's so true.

I should be doing other things... but I got to tweaking this. I haven't yet redrawn the bird completely, like I was thinking of doing. Instead, I just tried to play with the persepective, and ended up with a more heads-on view (again, click to see larger view):

hawks2-sm.png

It looks better, to me... but I could be wrong.

I could really use some hints/tips/suggestions/etc on this one, especially from some of the uber-talented folks (of which I'm definitely not).

POTD 2013-08-22

My suggestion would be to find some source photos of hawks in similar positions, and use them to create the logo. Get a feel for their 'facial' shapes, shadows, and build. After that, it's all in the practice and fine-tuning (although it certainly seems to come easier and quicker to some folks than others).

A few specific suggestions would be to make the pupils in the eyes face a common direction. Although it may be more anatomically correct to have them face out (I'm not sure it is or isn't), sometimes designers need to take liberties... the bird looks crazy (insane-crazy) with his eyes at such odd angles.

Also, it looks like the beak is a little low on his face. The Atlanta Hawks do they head-on view exceptionally well IMO... the top of the beak begins right between the eyes (if not a little above them).

Many logos have been done of birds-of-prey, but this view you've got now is one I don't believe I've ever seen before, so I applaud that... it looks like it's got the makings of a sweet logo!

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Just forget seeing its face whatsoever.

Do your shield and let the silhouette of the head do its thing.

Plus I know its diving, but you can fan the tail for some more shield ornamentation.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Just forget seeing its face whatsoever.

Do your shield and let the silhouette of the head do its thing.

Ok, I now officially feel stupid, because I have no idea what you were going for there.

POTD 2013-08-22

Not bad it makes a good soccer logo and teh eyes are vastly improved. You may want to have the bird flying up, but this aint bad it sorta looks like its swooping down right at me.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Ok, I now officially feel stupid, because I have no idea what you were going for there.

LOL! I AM a tired.

I mean, just draw the thing from the top. If its hard to draw all that fanciness coming at you , then dont bend its neck to the viewer at all.

Dead nuts, top down shot of the bird. You have that already except the head.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

LOL! I AM a tired.

I mean, just draw the thing from the top. If its hard to draw all that fanciness coming at you , then dont bend its neck to the viewer at all.

Dead nuts, top down shot of the bird. You have that already except the head.

That could work, although I like where he's going with this right now...

the top down silhouette thing has been done so many times before, and this latest view is rather unique... the face needs a few adjustments, yeah, and the rest of it could use a few touches here and there, but otherwise Mockba's got the basis for a great, original logo here.

...but in the end, it's Mockba's call, not to mention way past my bedtime.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'll second some of what SyPhi said - you need to move the pupils more to the mid-line of the body. Right now, he looks like he's got a bad case of Stuart Scott, with his eyes looking in two different directions. The pupils probably need to be bigger, also, as that might give a little more "fierceness" to him.

Also, stay with your second angle of the Hawk. The top down look has been done far more than this angle.

It's where I sit.

Forgive me if I'm becoming a habitual line-stepper, but I thoguht I'd display rather than talk about the eyes.

mockba-hawk.gif

This looks much more natural to me

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived