2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well this should make for an interesting discussion.

Notre Dame unlikely to accept Bowl Invitation

ND has done this before and while I think that the program is way beyond its "we're too good for a lower-level bowl" days, I know that players go there to play in BCS or at least second tier bowls. If the players (and particularly the Seniors) want to skip it, then that's fine by me.

It kind of surprises me because I thought that programs loved bowls for the extra month of practice (though maybe it matters less with the coaching situation in limbo).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

ND has done this before and while I think that the program is way beyond its "we're too good for a lower-level bowl" days, I know that players go there to play in BCS or at least second tier bowls. If the players (and particularly the Seniors) want to skip it, then that's fine by me.

It kind of surprises me because I thought that programs loved bowls for the extra month of practice (though maybe it matters less with the coaching situation in limbo).

The choice of bowls probably played a large part in their decision.

The Little Caesars Pizza Bowl in Detroit on Dec. 26, or the GMAC Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Jan. 6.

Not really the same as say Tampa or San Diego are they?

BB52Big.jpg

as for Ohio State's opponent in the Rose Bowl, I'm hoping for Oregon to beat Oregon State for the very simple reason that an Oregon christmas cookie would be easier to create than an Oregon State christmas cookie. Plus, Oregon would allow me to create 4 cookies, one for each of the possible helmets they might wear. Making OSU and OSU's bowl game matchup cookies has been a personal tradition dating back to the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

That game last night pained me. I really wanted to see Oregon State win. It was a great game, but I now live in a world where I have to root for Ohio State to win the Rose Bowl.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

as for Ohio State's opponent in the Rose Bowl, I'm hoping for Oregon to beat Oregon State for the very simple reason that an Oregon christmas cookie would be easier to create than an Oregon State christmas cookie. Plus, Oregon would allow me to create 4 cookies, one for each of the possible helmets they might wear. Making OSU and OSU's bowl game matchup cookies has been a personal tradition dating back to the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

That game last night pained me. I really wanted to see Oregon State win. It was a great game, but I now live in a world where I have to root for Ohio State to win the Rose Bowl.

Welcome to the dark side. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Welcome to the dark side. biggrin.gif

As my son and I watched and rooted for Oregon State last night, I summarized my disdain for Oregon Duck football like this:

If the University of Oregon was playing a football game against the hordes of hell, the fate of humanity hung in the balance, and Oregon was mankind's last hope for survival, I'm not so sure I'd root for the Ducks.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Its a good idea they are a total mess right now its not like Bowden whose successor is already there and is making a curtain call. Weis is being run out of South Bend on a rail and to keep him around for a bow will be awkward.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

More like a world with no hope.

More like a world with no hope.

Says the guy whose team came out this season with high hopes and proceeded to fall flat on it's face. But that's beside the point.

(Pay attention WillMorris, I'm about to get as close to being an Ohio State homer as I'll ever get.)

No hope? Since 2000, my guys have won a national championship, 5 straight conference titles, 3 straight bowl games from 2003 thru 2005(including 2 BCS bowls), appeared in two more national championship games in consecutive years, and one more BCS bowl. My guys have also beaten their arch-rival 6 straight times and 8 out of the last 9. If that's living in a world with no hope then please give me more of it. And, if anyone thinks two bad losses in 2006 and 2007 somehow disqualify all the rest then I'd say that person's standards are just a tad too high.

Everyone loves to suck Oklahoma's :censored: and talk about how great they are. I'll proudly put Ohio State's last ten years up against Oklahoma's anytime.

Call me crazy but I think any sane UNC football fan would happily sign up for Ohio State's recent run of hopelessness. :D

BB52Big.jpg

The Little Caesars Pizza Bowl in Detroit on Dec. 26, or the GMAC Bowl in Mobile, Ala., on Jan. 6.

Well, then they should have beat Navy. Or Stanford. Or Connecticut. Or Michigan. Because they didn't though, well...to paraphrase Georgia "LOOK AT THE PIZZA BOXES FALLING FROM THE SKY!!!"

And yes, the practice is kind of important, unless you enjoy losing to Navy, Stanford, Connecticut, and Michigan.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, then they should have beat Navy. Or Stanford. Or Connecticut. Or Michigan. Because they didn't though, well...to paraphrase Georgia "LOOK AT THE PIZZA BOXES FALLING FROM THE SKY!!!"

And yes, the practice is kind of important, unless you enjoy losing to Navy, Stanford, Connecticut, and Michigan.

I don't think anyone was complaining that ND wasn't getting a better bowl.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm not either. My point is that losing games you should win has consequences. Including midwinter trips to Detroit or Mobile.

Besides, there's tons of stuff to do in Mobile. Like getting drunk down by the river. Or getting drunk down on the Gulf Coast. Or getting drunk on the Battleship they parked in the harbor. Or getting drunk at Carnival.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No hope? Since 2000, my guys have won a national championship, 5 straight conference titles, 3 straight bowl games from 2003 thru 2005(including 2 BCS bowls), appeared in two more national championship games in consecutive years, and one more BCS bowl. My guys have also beaten their arch-rival 6 straight times and 8 out of the last 9. If that's living in a world with no hope then please give me more of it. And, if anyone thinks two bad losses in 2006 and 2007 somehow disqualify all the rest then I'd say that person's standards are just a tad too high.

Everyone loves to suck Oklahoma's censored.gif and talk about how great they are. I'll proudly put Ohio State's last ten years up against Oklahoma's anytime.

Call me crazy but I think any sane UNC football fan would happily sign up for Ohio State's recent run of hopelessness. biggrin.gif

Ohio State beating Michigan is like saying I woke up on Tuesday. It happens. rolleyes.gif

For the record, I hope you don't take my comment about Ohio State as a bash. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest Buckeye fan in the world, but I did have the pleasure of going to an OSU game a few years ago. While my team didn't win, the whole experience was great, and I'd go back again in a heartbeat. Autzen, on the other hand...cursing.gif

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Everyone loves to suck Oklahoma's censored.gif and talk about how great they are. I'll proudly put Ohio State's last ten years up against Oklahoma's anytime.

Call me crazy but I think any sane UNC football fan would happily sign up for Ohio State's recent run of hopelessness. biggrin.gif

Ohio State beating Michigan is like saying I woke up on Tuesday. It happens. rolleyes.gif

For the record, I hope you don't take my comment about Ohio State as a bash. Admittedly, I'm not the biggest Buckeye fan in the world, but I did have the pleasure of going to an OSU game a few years ago. While my team didn't win, the whole experience was great, and I'd go back again in a heartbeat. Autzen, on the other hand...cursing.gif

Not at all. I completely understood what you were saying. We'll do our best to dispose of The Ducks for you. I doubt we'll pull it off but we're going to go to Pasadena anyway. And yeah, beating Michigan sure doesn't have the shine it used to.

My comments were aimed at Jamikel. Imagine a UNC fan believing that rooting for Ohio State is like a world without hope. That's the equivalent of a Browns fan telling people who root for the Steelers that they have no hope.

It's all in fun. Buckeye bashing doesn't bother me.

BB52Big.jpg

OK, as a fellow Washington fan, I do admit that I'm not that fond of the Ducks myself. They have a bit of an attitude about themselves, but that's another story.

But, to say that you'd rather root for the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl?!? I'd ought to tar and feather your ass for such a comment, Jimmy. Everyone and their mothers know that Ohio State ends up running back to Columbus with their tails between their legs every time bowl season comes around and guess what? Same old story, just with a different verse.

Go Pac-10!

OK, as a fellow Washington fan, I do admit that I'm not that fond of the Ducks myself. They have a bit of an attitude about themselves, but that's another story.

But, to say that you'd rather root for the Big Ten in the Rose Bowl?!? I'd ought to tar and feather your ass for such a comment, Jimmy. Everyone and their mothers know that Ohio State ends up running back to Columbus with their tails between their legs every time bowl season comes around and guess what? Same old story, just with a different verse.

Go Pac-10!

Not for nothing you sanctimonious blowhard but Ohio State's bowl record in the last 10 years is just a bit better than Washington's. Of course it helps when you're actually good enough to get a bowl bid. How have The Huskies done with bowl games in that span? How does 1-4 sound to you? And let's not forget that Washington hasn't been within shouting distance of a bowl bid since 2002. Just for fun, do you remember the last time your mighty Huskies played Ohio State? Let me refresh your memory. We came out there in 2007 and handed you your asses 33-14. Do you really think you have a leg to stand on in this debate? Granted, we lost back to back NC games but at least we got there to lose them.

Of course you're rooting for The Pac-10. It's the only thing you've got. :D

(For the record WillMorris, I am not being a homer here. I am just having fun talking some smack.)

BB52Big.jpg

Go Pac-10!

Husky fans never, ever, ever root for the Ducks. Ever. You want to, that's fine. I guess I care more about Washington than you. :P Besides, Oregon State hasn't been since '65, and hasn't won since the 40's. OSU/OSU would have been a far better matchup.

And looking back over the last 20 years of Rose Bowl history, the Big 10/Pac 10 record is a lot more even than I thought; even with USC winning the last three.

cv2TCLZ.png

POTD - 7/3/14

Archived