2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Papa Bowden will be back for one more dadgum year regardless.

There was no real reason for Tebow to remain that game as deep as he did.

Urban Meyer hardly ever takes out Tebow late in games when there are blowouts. Coach gives his guy every chance to pad those stats for The Heisman Memorial Trophy Award voters. Plus, it ain't Urban's job to stop Tebow, it's Papa Bowden's.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I think Papa Bowden will be back for one more dadgum year regardless.

There was no real reason for Tebow to remain that game as deep as he did.

Urban Meyer hardly ever takes out Tebow late in games when there are blowouts. Coach gives his guy every chance to pad those stats for The Heisman Memorial Trophy Award voters. Plus, it ain't Urban's job to stop Tebow, it's Papa Bowden's.

No, Saint Bobby had the two quarters...it's Joe Kines' job to stop Tebow now.

Sparky actually giving us one of the better afternoon games.

EDIT: Nice job on that punt Sparky! At least Mill Ave. liquor sales will not be lost...unlike this game!

Well, with Oklahoma State losing, that means we're looking at a foursome for BCS at-larges of the SEC loser, Iowa or Penn State, TCU, and either Virginia Tech or Texas (if they lose). I'm pretty sure the bowls would rather take the ACC team than the WAC team, which is a shame.

And before you yell at me and say "The BCS isn't that stupid", remember that the BCS itself has nothing to do with this - it is up to the bowls themselves who they take. I firmly believe that non-BCS teams are only taken because the bowls are forced to.

If the BCS has nothing to do with team selection and the bowls are on their own to choose whomever they like then how can a bowl be "forced" to take anyone let alone a non-BCS school?

I'll give you credit Will, your success rate with your absurd predictions is probably lower than Zack Greinke's ERA and you have virtually no credibility around here when you're talking college football yet you just keep plugging away.

BB52Big.jpg

Does anyone know where College GameDay will be next week, or when they will announce that?

Probably the same place they started the season.....Atlanta. How often do you get #1 vs. #2 on the last week of the season? ESPN won't be broadcasting the game, but they've got a lot of money invested in the SEC.

It should be Atlanta, since it is easier for Kirk to fly ATL to Love Field on a private jet to work the Big XII title game. Gainesville to San Jose (or San Francisco) for him today was a haul!

Well, with Oklahoma State losing, that means we're looking at a foursome for BCS at-larges of the SEC loser, Iowa or Penn State, TCU, and either Virginia Tech or Texas (if they lose). I'm pretty sure the bowls would rather take the ACC team than the WAC team, which is a shame.

And before you yell at me and say "The BCS isn't that stupid", remember that the BCS itself has nothing to do with this - it is up to the bowls themselves who they take. I firmly believe that non-BCS teams are only taken because the bowls are forced to.

If the BCS has nothing to do with team selection and the bowls are on their own to choose whomever they like then how can a bowl be "forced" to take anyone let alone a non-BCS school?

I'll give you credit Will, your success rate with your absurd predictions is probably lower than Zack Greinke's ERA and you have virtually no credibility around here when you're talking college football yet you just keep plugging away.

Here's what I mean by that.

Granted, the BCS leaves them a pool of teams eligible for the at-large bid. It's up to the bowl themselves to choose which one they take.

LvZYtbZ.png

Ricky Dobbs of Navy has tied the single season TD rushing record for a QB, and still has more than a half and the game against Army to break it. Go Middies!

Very interesting contrast in styles on ESPNU. Triple option Navy versus run and shoot Hawaii.

So happy right now. Just gloated to all my Tech friends. It's a great feeling, really. So so so happy :D . 30-24.

Congrats. Your team played a good game, and ours didn't. No way around it. Luckily we're still on our way to [hopefully] becoming "King of the Cupcakes."

zqsjk.png

dyu9sx.png

"Why would anybody ever eat anything besides breakfast food?"-Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler), Parks and Recreation

So happy right now. Just gloated to all my Tech friends. It's a great feeling, really. So so so happy :D . 30-24.

I've liked Tech since Paul Johnson came in with the option offense, but I was pulling for Georgia today (because I watched with a girl that I'm pretty sure goes to school with you, Elliot.) That was a great win for Georgia, but I'm still hoping Tech wins the ACC Championship to get into the BCS.

Right now I bet Illinois is regretting scheduling two non-conference games after the Big Ten season ended. It was supposed to giv them a smaller time off between the regular season and their bowl game. Problem is, they need to win some games before they worry about getting back to a bowl. Now they're stuck with having senior day in December against Fresno State.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Is it too early to call ACC Football "A cute little story"?

Georgia Tech, Boston College, Clemson, and North Carolina won their games with relative ease. However:

-Wake Forest lost to Baylor at home.

-Duke lost to Richmond at home.

-Virginia lost to William & Mary at home.

-Maryland is currently losing by 31 at California.

-NC State and Virginia Tech lost to SEC teams, but that was expected.

Just quoting myself from the beginning of the season.

Way to represent yourselves today, ACC. There's no shame in losing to Florida. However, your top two teams, the squads playing in your championship game, lost to a pair of 6-5 SEC teams, in games that weren't as close as the score indicated. This is the exact reason why your conference gets mocked across the country, and is also the reason why your championship game gets played in half-empty venues.

My only fear is that Willie Martinez gets to save his job because of this one game. That said, Georgia's gameplan was excellent tonight: Hold onto the ball longer than Tech can. Clemson is a team that can run the ball, and I believe they can beat Georgia Tech next week.

Crazy day in the FCS playoffs:

App barely escapes South Carolina State yesterday when the Bulldogs botched a snap on the go-ahead field goal attempt and ASU ran it all the way back for a touchdown. (Highlights can be seen here: http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=ncaa&media=156116)

Montana scores 40 unanswered points in the last quarter and change to beat South Dakota State.

Elon misses two(!) field goals in the fourth quarter that would have tied the game against defending champion Richmond.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

ACC football was an embarassment yesterday...

It's a good thing Boise State will probably get a BCS bid because of Oklahoma State's shenanigans, because otherwise we'd be looking at the prospect of a mediocre Georgia Tech or Clemson team in the BCS while Boise State watches at home...

It would be a shame if the BCS pits TCU against the ACC winner, since it probably wouldn't be even close (Though Clemson did play well against TCU earlier in the year, that was at home and TCU seems to have become unstoppable at this point).

The only ACC team that, to me, seems borderline-BCS worthy is Virginia Tech. And it would appear that, after the losses by GT, Pitt and OK State, that they will move up quite a bit, maybe even to the top 10, and certainly be the highest ranked ACC team.

Also, how weird is it that there are six undefeated teams and no teams with one loss?

Crazy day in the FCS playoffs:

App barely escapes South Carolina State yesterday when the Bulldogs botched a snap on the go-ahead field goal attempt and ASU ran it all the way back for a touchdown. (Highlights can be seen here: http://all-access.cb...a&media=156116)

Montana scores 40 unanswered points in the last quarter and change to beat South Dakota State.

Elon misses two(!) field goals in the fourth quarter that would have tied the game against defending champion Richmond.

I watched this game. Bobby Hauck did a great job with his team, and Jesus Greg Marriani is a beast!

Also, Eastern Illinois coach, and GREAT friend of ours (my family), Jeff Hoover has died in a single vehicle car wreck yesterday. My dad coached with him at Utah state and just... wow.

CHARLESTON, Ill. ? Tragedy struck the Eastern Illinois athletic familyfor the second time in less than a month as Panther assistant footballcoach Jeff Hoover was killed in a single vehicle accident late Saturdaynight just south of Effingham, Ill.

Hoover along with his family and EIU strength coach Eric Cash and hisfamily were returning from Eastern Illinois first round playoff game atSouthern Illinois when the vehicle they were driving swerved to miss adeer and rolled over. Two people were released from the hospital earlySunday morning while all others involved in the accident weretransported to a hospital in Champaign, Ill., for further observation.

?We are very saddened by the loss of Jeff Hoover,? stated EIU athleticdirector Barbara Burke on Sunday morning. ?He was a valuable member ofour football staff and was looked up to by the young men in ourfootball program. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife Penny andtheir two children along with Eric Cash and his family in thisdifficult time.?

Hoover, 41, just completed his third season as the Panthers offensiveline coach. He had previous assistant coaching stops at Portland State,Utah State, Henderson State and UC Davis.

Way to represent yourselves today, ACC. There's no shame in losing to Florida. However, your top two teams, the squads playing in your championship game, lost to a pair of 6-5 SEC teams, in games that weren't as close as the score indicated. This is the exact reason why your conference gets mocked across the country, and is also the reason why your championship game gets played in half-empty venues.

Such is ACC football. Stumble out of the gate, spend the whole season trying to regain some credibility, then piss it all away at the end of the season. I get annoyed at how much ass-kissing the SEC gets compared to the mockery of the ACC, and then weeks like this happen and remind me that it's justified.

Clemson is a team that can run the ball, and I believe they can beat Georgia Tech next week.

They can, but in terms of BCS games, it really doesn't matter. Clemson isn't good enough to win a BCS game this year, and Georgia Tech will be playing an elite opponent with several weeks to prepare to defend against the option. Either way, the Orange Bowl could get very, very ugly.

Archived