2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

I consider the "Michigan Man" to be a dying breed. The idea is only held by the boosters who do nothing but sit on their hands and turn the Big House into a library. Younger Michigan fans such as ~dp and myself realize that Rome wasn't built in a day, especially when there wasn't even a foundation to start building! As I have said before, Michigan was going to go through this period with or without RichRod. Would it have been such an awful 2 years with another coach? Probably not. Is there potential for these 2 years to be the underlying foundation for a USC/Florida/Alabama type program? Absolutely. Whether or not the old farts at Michigan will give RR the full 1-2 years that it would take remains to be seen.

I'm still on board the RR plan, at least up until this point where 6-6 is no longer acceptable with the talent at Michigan. If we have another 4-7 or even 6-6 year next year, then I will be ready for the RR experiment to be over, as long as they continue to look into the spread offense. Brian Kelly (Cincinnati) or the Chris Petersen (Boise State) would be #1 and #2 on my list at that point.

1. Well until you're in a position to call the shots you might as well get used to the idea because it ain't going anywhere.

2. Sure it's possible. First, you just need to find a way to get the athletes that are choosing The SEC, Big XII, and Pac-10 to choose Michigan instead. Why would a top tier athlete pick Michigan over Florida right now? My guess is a kid who has to choose between playing for a team that's chasing it's third national championship in four years or a team that's won 8 games in two years is probably going to choose the good team. Michigan is in a tough spot right now. They aren't good enough to get the best athletes for their offense so they have to settle for the ones that aren't quite good enough to play in The SEC etc. It's exactly why Rodriguez flourished at WVU and will fail miserably at Michigan. What was good enough for WVU won't cut it in Ann Arbor. He's never going to get enough time to get the players he needs. Recruits know he's already on the hot seat. They also know that Michigan is still a couple years away from being competitive enough to win consistently. If they do commit to Michigan they know there's a better than average chance that they'll have to go through a coaching change. So the top guys sign elsewhere and RR is stuck with "second and third choice" players to fill his roster. The perfect example is Terelle Pryor. He was the ideal choice for Michigan's offense. He chose Ohio State. Ohio State wasn't as good a fit for him but he also knew he was in no danger of ever going 3-9 in Columbus. That's what you're up against.

Oh and then there's this...You might want to get used to another idea; it's going to take longer than 1-2 years no matter who is coaching. Your program has been fading for a while now. It can't be turned around quickly. You guys just might be the new Nebraska. It's hardly an abstract concept at this point.

BB52Big.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I consider the "Michigan Man" to be a dying breed. The idea is only held by the boosters who do nothing but sit on their hands and turn the Big House into a library. Younger Michigan fans such as ~dp and myself realize that Rome wasn't built in a day, especially when there wasn't even a foundation to start building! As I have said before, Michigan was going to go through this period with or without RichRod. Would it have been such an awful 2 years with another coach? Probably not. Is there potential for these 2 years to be the underlying foundation for a USC/Florida/Alabama type program? Absolutely. Whether or not the old farts at Michigan will give RR the full 1-2 years that it would take remains to be seen.

I'm still on board the RR plan, at least up until this point where 6-6 is no longer acceptable with the talent at Michigan. If we have another 4-7 or even 6-6 year next year, then I will be ready for the RR experiment to be over, as long as they continue to look into the spread offense. Brian Kelly (Cincinnati) or the Chris Petersen (Boise State) would be #1 and #2 on my list at that point.

2. Sure it's possible. First, you just need to find a way to get the athletes that are choosing The SEC, Big XII, and Pac-10 to choose Michigan instead. Why would a top tier athlete pick Michigan over Florida right now? My guess is a kid who has to choose between playing for a team that's chasing it's third national championship in four years or a team that's won 8 games in two years is probably going to choose the good team. Michigan is in a tough spot right now. They aren't good enough to get the best athletes for their offense so they have to settle for the ones that aren't quite good enough to play in The SEC etc. It's exactly why Rodriguez flourished at WVU and will fail miserably at Michigan. What was good enough for WVU won't cut it in Ann Arbor. He's never going to get enough time to get the players he needs. Recruits know he's already on the hot seat. They also know that Michigan is still a couple years away from being competitive enough to win consistently. If they do commit to Michigan they know there's a better than average chance that they'll have to go through a coaching change. So the top guys sign elsewhere and RR is stuck with "second and third choice" players to fill his roster. The perfect example is Terelle Pryor. He was the ideal choice for Michigan's offense. He chose Ohio State. Ohio State wasn't as good a fit for him but he also knew he was in no danger of ever going 3-9 in Columbus. That's what you're up against.

Oh and then there's this...You might want to get used to another idea; it's going to take longer than 1-2 years no matter who is coaching. Your program has been fading for a while now. It can't be turned around quickly. You guys just might be the new Nebraska. It's hardly an abstract concept at this point.

Championships aren't the only reason a player picks a school. Different players have different priorities. Right now, at Michigan, they can go in and get early playing time at a tradition rich school. It isn't like Michigan is having terrible recruiting classes. They just got a commitment earlier tonight from one of the top corners in the country, Cullen Christian, who chose Michigan over your Buckeyes. They have a commitment from the #1 QB in the country, who was and is still being heavily pursued by Florida, among many other top programs. Maybe he doesn't realize Florida has had more success lately? This is after a 3-9 and 5-7 season, remember. If they get a little better next year, it will be that much easier to recruit.

...And anyways, that point goes for any coach, so how is that a reason RR can't turn it around?

MegatronSig2.jpg

Championships aren't the only reason a player picks a school. Different players have different priorities. Right now, at Michigan, they can go in and get early playing time at a tradition rich school. It isn't like Michigan is having terrible recruiting classes. They just got a commitment earlier tonight from one of the top corners in the country, Cullen Christian, who chose Michigan over your Buckeyes. They have a commitment from the #1 QB in the country, who was and is still being heavily pursued by Florida, among many other top programs. Maybe he doesn't realize Florida has had more success lately? This is after a 3-9 and 5-7 season, remember. If they get a little better next year, it will be that much easier to recruit.

...And anyways, that point goes for any coach, so how is that a reason RR can't turn it around?

Justin Zwick was the top QB coming out of high school too. We saw how that worked out. Getting two top recruits is great. Congrats. Now let's talk about the next 15 recruits because that's where the difference is. Getting two top tier guys and ten middle tier guys isn't really going to help any team is it? What I'm saying is that if you score the top QB but you don't have anything else then what good does it do you? I don't know what Michigan's recruiting class looks like. They may have one of the top classes in the country. I just think that RR is up against it in recruiting because his team isn't very good and no one besides you and GFB believe the guy will last through next season.

I may be wrong about RR. I don't think I am but I guess neither one of us will know for a couple years.

BB52Big.jpg

It's a shame that this next game had to be played with all the students on winter break because the stadium will probably be empty, but those of you who follow the MAC (which probably includes me and like one other poster) should tune into ESPNU on Friday at 11 to watch the Ohio University Bobcats take on the Temple Owls from Athens, Ohio. The winner will take the MAC East division and get a shot at Central Michigan in the MAC Championship game. OU had to beat Northern Illinois last week to turn the final regular season game with Temple into the de facto MAC East championship game. I want another shot at Central Michigan. My freshman year I went to the Championship game in Detroit and Dan Lefevour torched the Bobcats. Plus, the Central Michigan fans were unnecessarily rude.

Go Bobcats!

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's a shame that this next game had to be played with all the students on winter break because the stadium will probably be empty, but those of you who follow the MAC (which probably includes me and like one other poster) should tune into ESPNU on Friday at 11 to watch the Ohio University Bobcats take on the Temple Owls from Athens, Ohio. The winner will take the MAC East division and get a shot at Central Michigan in the MAC Championship game. OU had to beat Northern Illinois last week to turn the final regular season game with Temple into the de facto MAC East championship game. I want another shot at Central Michigan. My freshman year I went to the Championship game in Detroit and Dan Lefevour torched the Bobcats. Plus, the Central Michigan fans were unnecessarily rude.

Go Bobcats!

Hey, now.. I follow all of college football, which means the little guys get love too.

But, personally, I want Temple to win. I know you're an Ohio U. guy McCarthy, but the idea of a 10-win Temple team playing for a conference championship would make just about everyone's head explode in sheer insanity. I mean, this is Temple for crying out loud! The best thing their football program has done as of late was getting the boot from the Big East.

Don't get me wrong. Solich has done well at Ohio, but I want my feel good story dammit and no way should Ohio ruin this by beating Temple.

Go Bobcats!

Hey, now.. I follow all of college football, which means the little guys get love too.

But, personally, I want Temple to win. I know you're an Ohio U. guy McCarthy, but the idea of a 10-win Temple team playing for a conference championship would make just about everyone's head explode in sheer insanity. I mean, this is Temple for crying out loud! The best thing their football program has done as of late was getting the boot from the Big East.

Don't get me wrong. Solich has done well at Ohio, but I want my feel good story dammit and no way should Ohio ruin this by beating Temple.

I know I don't holler about it as much as I do with Ohio State but I'm also a MAC alum (Toledo) so there are at least three MAC fans here. This is a tough call. My brother is an OU alum so I want them to do well. Then again, " I mean, this is Temple for crying out loud!" How can anyone root against Temple after the misery they have been through?

I have wanted to go to that MAC Championship game for years but something always gets in the way.

BB52Big.jpg

Go Bobcats!

I know I don't holler about it as much as I do with Ohio State but I'm also a MAC alum (Toledo) so there are at least three MAC fans here. This is a tough call. My brother is an OU alum so I want them to do well. Then again, " I mean, this is Temple for crying out loud!" How can anyone root against Temple after the misery they have been through?

I have wanted to go to that MAC Championship game for years but something always gets in the way.

Guess I'd make four. ^_^

I'm pulling for Temple to win it all. Why? I grew up in Oxford and later moved to Kalamazoo. :P

Go Bobcats!

Guess I'd make four. ^_^

I'm pulling for Temple to win it all. Why? I grew up in Oxford and later moved to Kalamazoo. :P

Make it 5, Go Bulls! They are not having as good a year as last year, but I still watch the MAC.

I am rooting for CMU over anybody in the MAC Championship, Dan Lefevour is amazing, I love watching him. However I think i will be rooting for Temple on Friday morning, they are such a great story, like UB last year.

saBS.png

Today, ESPN has confirmed what footballcoachscoop.com reported yesterday: Dan Hawkins will remain at Colorado. But Mike Bohn, the AD, may be on thin ice. In addition, Al Groh is supposedly to be bought out.

Better late than never, Virginia. Oh, and please go get Mike London. Please???

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So it's starting to look like the winner of Bama/Florida will play Texas if they win the Big 12, or the loser of Bama/Florida if Texas loses the Big 12. I can't see the loser of Bama/Florida to drop past TCU.

Dude do you have any idea how old this act is getting? There is absolutely no way in Hell that two SEC teams will play each other in the BCS title game. You know it as well as I do. You're just doing this to get people all up in arms over another one of your insane college football posts.

BB52Big.jpg

If only A&M was able to freakin' tackle!!! I saw at three missed tackles that DIRECTLY caused touchdowns. Take those away, and we have 39-28 (maybe 39-31). ABSOLUTELY SICKENING! If A&M had only one defensive stop, they would have won.

Sigh, good game though.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Great game by Texas A&M but they left a lot on the table, I knew heading into this game Texas wouldn't have an easy time and I don't think they'll have it easy next Saturday. Although it will be a mostly partisan Longhorn crowd being in Arlington and all.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

That was a good game...I was sittin up in here hoping the Aggies would somehow pull the upset. Came close...but missed scoring chances and missed tackles ultimately did them in. Honest question: what does this result do to Texas' RPI ratings-or whatever the strength-of-schedule component is...or will it have any effect at all?

Also, off-note...good to see Mack Brown's political shameless plugging is rubbing off on young McCoy there. His idea of a Heisman winner, according to something I read on Yahoo sports, isn't the best or most exciting player--no, it's the player with the most wins. Hmmm...nice way to boost one's profile, since it just so happens McCoy himself happens to have the most wins currently (and I believe most passind TD's as well). Dude definitely got game...but I think he should leave the politicking out of it and let his game speak for itself.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So it's starting to look like the winner of Bama/Florida will play Texas if they win the Big 12, or the loser of Bama/Florida if Texas loses the Big 12. I can't see the loser of Bama/Florida to drop past TCU.

Dude do you have any idea how old this act is getting? There is absolutely no way in Hell that two SEC teams will play each other in the BCS title game. You know it as well as I do. You're just doing this to get people all up in arms over another one of your insane college football posts.
And there's absolutely no way in Hell that TCU will get to play in the national title game either - either someone will make an obscene jump (maybe Oregon?) or it'll be two SEC teams.

LvZYtbZ.png

And there's absolutely no way in Hell that TCU will get to play in the national title game either - either someone will make an obscene jump (maybe Oregon?) or it'll be two SEC teams.

Cincinnati....duh.

Archived