2009 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Want a good laugh, watch the Ending for the Jets-Jaguars game.

Nah...you want a good laugh? Go try to take the pulse of the Steel City right now. WHO DEY?????

Tell me y'all saw that...and who to think, even with the Bengals' kicking woes, the one thing that ultimately does the Steelers in is the one thing that's been an Achilles' heel for them all year: their kick coverage, as that was the only TD of the day on Heinz Field.

And now to bend logic: usually, Week 3 or week 4 is the week all logic and common sense in picking games goes out the window...not Week 9.

- Not only have the Bengals swept the Steelers this year...they've swept their entire division thus far, with one to play vs the Browns. Just throwing that out there.

- Gang Green...*shakes head* historically, the Jaguars do not travel well at this point in the season. But, I guess Pinball Jones-Drew and DG9 had something to say about that one. Note to Jets D: practice proper tackling techniques this week. And do not let one of the AFC's most historically inconsistent teams go down the field and score a last-second game-wnning field goal...on your home field, no less. (And are the Jags suddenly trying to become a playoff team or something???)

- I'm not even going to talk about what happened in FedEx field. By the way, congratulations, Greg. ^_^

- Wow @ the Panthers winning vs the Falcons. BUT, having said that, I do hope Michael Turner turns out to be ok. I only caught a piece of that game, and it just happened to be the end of the first half. Ouchie.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Just went back and looked at the boxscore of the Bengals/Steelers tilt. And something really jumped out at me.

Neither team could rush. Neither team could pass. Team totals for both sides were pretty much even down the line. Bengals/Steelers:

1st Downs: 14/16

3d-down efficiency: 4-14/3-15

4th-down efficiency: 0-0/1-2

Red zone efficiency: 0-3/-4

Passing 1st downs: 10/10

Passing attempts: 18-30/20-40

Total yards passing: 157/146

Rushing 1st downs: 3/5

Rushing Attempts 29/18

Total yards rushing: 61/80

Total Plays: 61/62

Total Yards: 218/226

Time of possession 29:08/30:52

So what'd it come down to?

One turnover...gained by the Bengals (an INT). And one special teams TD...by the Bengals (a kick return).

So you see...all else being pretty much equal, usually it's the Steelers who do the little extra things to win. Today (and pretty much all season)...it was the Bengals. Let's see if they can keep this up. (And...let's also see if Cedric Benson's injury isn't a serious one. This team can ill-afford any more key injuries.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Wow. I thought that everything from last week would be undone in terms of the AFC West. No way Denver's losing to Washington, and I had doubts about San Deigo's ability to get one up on Philly. Now Denver's been beaten and the Chargers are up 14-0. Awesome.

6-0? So much for that :P

This Falcons loss was a little bit disturbing. Matt Ryan (and maybe Mike Smith) has hit the rookie wall about half-a-season late, Michael Turner got hit by the injury bug, Jason Elam can't kick, and Falcons D is in disarray. Don't wanna say that the Falcons are currently in crisis mode, but it's close. As far as getting the winning season, they're still on track for that, but playoff chances are slowly dwindling. 5-4 Falcons @ 5-4 Giants could very well be a must-win game for both teams.

(Oh, btw, next week for the 4th time in 6 games the Falcons get to play a team coming off of a bye. That's wonderful.)

WHO-DEY. I love this particular version of the Cincinnati Bengals. They play amazing defense, something I would've been shocked if you told me two years ago, and they run the ball down your throat on offense. They burned almost 5 minutes off the clock on their last drive. The defense then turned around and kept Roethlisberger from finding a first down on their last possession. I love it.

And it's just now setting in that the Cincinnati Bengals just swept the Pittsburgh Steelers. The last time they did that was 98 so I had forgotten what it felt like. I can't explain how satisfying it is. They're at the top of the division and the next three are Oakland, Cleveland, and Detroit. 10-2 is very likely. I am a little worried that Cedric Benson won't return. He left the game with a hip injury and didn't come back.

god, this feels unbelievable. I had this shrinking feeling that one gets from a life of following Cincinnati Bengals football that they would find a way to blow it, and it never happened. It's incredible. Last week after they swept Baltimore I told everyone to take notice. Well, take notice again.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Rams won their last game and it was nice to break the losing streak, but we also knew it was a hard fought when against a bad football team.

This week the Rams lose and it may be one of the most important and best team efforts in the last few years of this franchise. Things are clicking. They're playing for the coach, they're playing for each other, and the young players are coming into their own.

We'll see how they finish this season. They won't be favored in many if any of the contests, but there aren't too many super daunting match-ups either. If they can steal some wins... say end up with 4 or 5, there could be a lot of reason for optimism heading into 2010.

Honestly, I had forgotten that the Redskins were actually able to win games.

I think they can thank Chris Simms for that one.

The way the Redskins were playing, its amazing that they could beat even Chris Simms. Levi Jones was amazing starting at LT. Bottom line: the Redskins played Redskins football, finally.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

A win is a win is a win.

Plus, the Titans are 3-0 with their backup quarterback.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

A win is a win is a win.

Plus, the Titans are 3-0 with their backup quarterback.

Now, Jeff Fisher may not need to wear Peyton Manning's jersey to feel like a winner (They are also 3-0 since he wore the jersey :D)

I saw, I came, I left.

Archived