Comets - Nehl Redesign Project

creativelysain

So, as far as 'final' logos for the Comets, we have Nitro's and Roz's CometBoy (in original coloring, that blue jacekt one was pukable)

Anyone else's concepts feel 'final?'

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I love Nitro's final adjustments and as good as the other colors look, am really partial to staying with the red, yellow,black and the Flames jersey.

I think its pretty terrific. Maybe just encorporating cometboy as a possible alt, or secondary??

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Maybe it's the lousy mood I'm in, but I seriously doubt that any of these will ever see the light of day. I kind of feel like we've just been spinning our wheels for the past couple of weeks, and nothing's really being done about it, unless something is going on behind the scenes I'm not aware of... Am I alone in this feeling?

... you are not alone...

I hope for you guys something happens, its been real fun to watch all of your guy's concepts, but its probably not too fun for you to use all this time makin it if it is for nothing. Hopefully thats not the case though..

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Unfortunately nitro, I think your gut may be right. Heres the latest from Buffalo :

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040403/2007873.asp

an excerpt:

But earlier Friday, a spokesman for the NEHL stated that Kolodziej is just one of several bidders interested in bringing a team to Buffalo.

"This guy is not the owner of the Buffalo franchise," said Robert Madia, who's also a player and general manager of the Jamestown Titans. "We have not picked the owner yet. He is just a bidder."

So theres a bit of behind the scenes disputes about this thing, which I don't think is too serious ... as Joe never came on here and claimed he was the owner of the team, he merely claimed he sat on a board of executives for the league and would have some pull for getting the logos to see the light of day.

I look at it as, here is the good news ... we are each owners of our designs, and can singly contact each team to agree upon a purchase price (assuming they are interested). The choice can be left to them, and the price hashed out in private. This isn't the preferred way for this to go, but I dont think any of us were working on these projects thinking there were any guarantees.

Well, that's comforting. Sterling, have you even talked to this guy and/or discussed payment for your work?

I seriously think I'm just going to pull my work down until we figure out what in blazes is going on with this league and these teams.

Have you forgotten the start of this whole league-wide redesign project? We said, "no guarantees, lets see what we cna come up with, maybe they will want to use it." This never was supposed to be about the legitimacy, the money, or the opinions of the league and teams themselves, but about us as a community redesigning league badly in need of it. Then, showing the teams, and seeing if they WANTED to do anything with them. There seems to be an undercurrent of "I don't wanna get screwed by some bankrupt team" that is pushed along by folks who didn't even DO any damn thing with these logos. If Nitro, Sterling, Roz and a couple others dont want to share their work, so be it. But no one was elad to believe this design project was based on a stable league with potential large cash rewards for the redesign.

How soon we forget.

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I still think that

1) this was the first REAL great collaberation of this community. Even if nothing comes of it, that alone was a great experience for me at least.

2) There is ample possibility for us to approach the existing 4 teams directly if we choose to. They'd be plain silly not to entertain the notion. Some of these are SO good...and theirs are SO bad.

I'll hold out some optimism, just to round out the field.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Forget the negatives, the 'what ifs", the accusations... can't this entire project to this point be already viewed as a huge success for the community? Granted, nothing has even come close to being used yet, but we knew that from the beginning. We talked about this... about how this was just like any other concept project - with the added bonus of it having the opportunity to one day be real.

We've had numerous people submit designs, offer suggestions, even provide edits and uniform mock-ups for each other's desgins. We took on this challenge as a group, and have so far proven ourselves as a design team and as a community.

Does it matter if these never get used by the NEHL? For all we know, the Stampede might never see the light of day - hell, any of the existing teams could fold, move or change names at the end of the season. The entire league could dissolve tomorrow. But... these designs would remain, and since no one has sold their work yet, there's still a chace that any of these (with the exception of the league logo), could eventually find a home, and the designer could walk away with a paycheck.

It's amusing how people will work tirelessly on projects that have absolutely zero hope of ever being considered - but are willing to kill a project that still has a legitimate shot.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Look, I am thrilled that everyone in the community pulled together to take this project where it has gone. Believe me, I'm very happy about that. We've seen some really excellent work across the board (no pun intended), and that's fantastic. That alone made it worth this.

I know that there was no guarantee going into this. I'm not saying that I thought there was, or that I ever expected anything to happen with these. But the way I feel is this: This whole project was spearheaded by a man that, right now, I do not trust. Some of you might trust him, and you may be holding on to your optimism about it, but I personally don't share the same sentiment. Joe may not represent the entire league, but it's too close for comfort personally. Whether I "see a paycheck" from this or not means absolutely nothing to me. If money really mattered that much to me, I wouldn't waste my time doing all of these contest entries and fantasy concepts for free. The point is, I do it for fun and to add some decent work to my portfolio.

But, when business gets involved, it's a different ballgame. I am much more protective about my work when things like this happen. When there are people involved that I don't trust and things start feeling a bit shady, that's when I step out, regardless of whether it's a lost opportunity or not. I don't want to leave myself or my work open to be taken advantage of. That is a personal stance and I don't expect anyone to agree with me but myself. I might be missing out on this NEHL opportunity, but to be honest, I won't lose sleep over it, because it's not the last opportunity I'll ever have, and probably not the best either. And that doesn't just go for me, that goes for everyone. All of you guys on here will get other opportunities if you keep doing what you do best. I can guarantee you that.

So, please don't accuse me of trying to kill the project. I'd love for something to come of it, and it still might. If it works out for you guys, that's fantastic. Even if it doesn't, our community has grown from it, and that's also fantastic. But, I personally am not comfortable with the situation being what it is, and I am choosing to bow out of it. That is my decision. You can dislike it, or even me, if that's how you feel, but my stance will not change. Hopefully you guys can understand that.

Here's my personal feeling on this:

I am extremely proud of the way this group came together on this project. This is a huge step forward as far as the art and artists on this board goes.

Personally, I feel as though my art can stay up for consideration. The key on this whole issue is that I have nothing to lose. I am not a professional graphic designer, nor am I doing this for money. The reason I understand what nitro is saying is because like sterling, js, and roz, he is a professional graphic designer with a lot to lose. The art could draw money from elsewhere. I completely understand if you feel the need to pull your work. Remeber it's your work and you have the right to do whatever you want with it. And if you feel as though someone is abusing the privalege of having professional work done for them, do what you feel necessary to protect yourself.

The reason I understand what nitro is saying is because like sterling, js, and roz, he is a professional graphic designer with a lot to lose.  The art could draw money from elsewhere.

Dude, look, this isn't about having anything to lose. It has absolutely nothing to do with being a professional designer. I have absolutely no freelance work going right now, and I dare say that I don't even run a business because I'm not actively pursuing any clients or advertising myself. The bottom line is: I don't want anyone taking my work and using it without my explicit permission or, even worse, claiming it as their own work. Whether you're a professional or not, you should care enough about the work you do to feel that way about it.

It's not about credit, it's about integrity. Keeping my work as just that: my work.

I liken it to how people have described their feelings after being raped: they don't feel like their body belongs to them anymore. In this case, if someone takes my work and uses it without my permission, I feel exactly the same way: like my work doesn't belong to me. This Comets concept is the first thing I've done in a LONG time that I have been genuinely proud of from start to finish, and I do not want to see something happen to it.

Got ya. I think that's another thing I wanted to explain, except I tend to lose focus and train of thought while typing something longer than I usually do, so when I got back to my original thought, I forgot one of the points I was trying to make. Confusing? yes. It was going to be much more long-winded than what I typed.

Just like anyone who chooses not to display anythign at all has my support. Nitro will be an awesome designer no matter if he ever posts another logo for us to see.

But that isn't the point. Posting anything on the internet in any capacity is taking a risk it will be missappropriated. Thinking this project is any more likely to be stolen than any other seems silly to me. Especially since we have posts, timestamps, etc.

I considered this a board project, that was a lot of fun. We made some great stuff. A few of us did the lion's share of the work, and if they want to take their ball and go home, then go for it. They have the right to do that, and I'll still love Brad as much as I did before. But I won't agree.

Thats the beauty of freedom, friends, and art... none of us have to agree, and we can all still be happy!

ΓΔΒ!

Thats the thing Sammy HIS work is HIS if he posts it or not. It doesnt belong to the board or its members to use as they please. If you believe that then the board is useless because you will never see another original concept.

As for protecting his work. The only protection he should need is his name next to his work, but that is not enough.

This board is set up for logo enthusiasts to have a place to come, show off their work, discuss logos and give feedback. There are a few things we all must hold true being admirers of logos and I believe the top two are Ownership and Originality. Without either one its a free for all, just copy paste edit and its your work.

Do I want to believe that the board is safe yes, can I honestly say that when i post I have no worries, NO. And this NEHL project with all these hangups doesnt make it any better, but i wont get into that.

Thats my two cents. I support Nitro 100%.

Just to be clear:

I support Nitro's right to remove his stuff.

I just don't agree that he should.

ΓΔΒ!

No, Nitro's right. After seeing how easily Sterling's Ice Cats logo was already misused, I have to agree with him.

If anyone wants to take down his images in order to protect them, he has my support.

This is something that I missed. How'd it get misused? Somebody fill me in, please.

[AD - NCFA] Arctic University Kodiaks (5-1-0, CONF 0-0-0)

[Owner - NABA] Arctic Menace (18-12)

Copying JQK and CC

Minneapolis.gif

VP.jpg

Archived