Help get the Leafs Logo/Uniforms changed

TML13

I definitely remember the Leafs wearing their 3rds as their primary white uniform during the playoffs. But apparently I'm wrong and the leafs don't do that.

Your right, because since they brought out the Alternates ( now in RBK version ) they wore them for their home games every time they made it too the playoffs.

I think it was their home games they wore them....

4kv29i.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me get this straight - am I the only one other than the original thread starter, and Davey, that likes the old logo better?

I'm not saying the more recent one is bad, it just doesn't have the character or the detail of the original. And hey, nothing wrong with a grassroots effort to make a logo get the respect it deserves.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

I definitely remember the Leafs wearing their 3rds as their primary white uniform during the playoffs. But apparently I'm wrong and the leafs don't do that.

Your right, because since they brought out the Alternates ( now in RBK version ) they wore them for their home games every time they made it too the playoffs.

I think it was their home games they wore them....

The Leafs have worn the old white uniforms for every home playoff game since 2002 (except in 2004 when they wore them on the road because of the switch in who wears what)

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Logos don't make franchises good.

The fact that the Tampa Bay Rays just happened to reach the World Series in the same year they changed their name and logos is just coincidental. The fact that the Arizona Cardinals reached the Super Bowl just two seasons after adopting a new logo is coincidental.

Tell you the truth, I did this as a statistics project in college, and it came to actually be significant that teams win after changing the uniforms.

I think it's more attributed to the fact that front offices usually time updates with when they have a good team on the horizon/start giving a damn.

That's why the Clippers haven't made any changes. Sterling's running his ship same as he ever has.

VmWIn6B.png

The fact that the Tampa Bay Rays just happened to reach the World Series in the same year they changed their name and logos is just coincidental. The fact that the Arizona Cardinals reached the Super Bowl just two seasons after adopting a new logo is coincidental.

Tell you the truth, I did this as a statistics project in college, and it came to actually be significant that teams win after changing the uniforms.

I think it's more attributed to the fact that front offices usually time updates with when they have a good team on the horizon/start giving a damn.

That's why the Clippers haven't made any changes. Sterling's running his ship same as he ever has.

I don't suppose you've got the project in a PDF or something... that'd be fascinating to look at.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

Firstly, the Bruins have completely changed their logo. Their original is similar to the new alternates they unveiled with the Edge era.

Secondly, I agree with Chris that maybe it's time to move forward, not backwards. While I don't mind seeing some tradition and history with teams, time moves forward and some of these teams that refuse to change (i.e. the Leafs, Red Wings, Canadiens, Devils, etc.) maybe should get away from that mentality and move to the future. I don't think any logo should be considered "untouchable". Teams shouldn't be afraid to make changes to appeal more towards new fans and maybe even some older ones.

believew.jpg

I know most Leaf fans are going to have a heart-attack here, but if they want the old leaf back and it makes them love their team more and they can get it back, go for it. I was going to rip into leaf fans for their desire of the old leaf and how it doesn't matter, and then I realize that I am one of the Kings fans who would love to see them go back to the Purple and Gold of the Robitaille era when I started watching hockey. Actually I was watching hockey a couple years before Lucky, but it's what you like and if they can get the their favorite leaf, then good for them and I support them in that. I do love what Ken Dryden said about the logos, that it's not the logo that makes the team, but the players in the logo and their have been many great players in the newer leaf. If you want to give me the players off the 92-93 Leafs with Sweet Dougie Gilmour and Wendel Clark with the Cat in goal, I'll take them gladly. So I as a Kings fan say, "Good Luck Leaf fans. I hope you get your deepest desires of the older leaf." :D

Why not just make another new leaf? Use the 1967/Canadian flag maple leaf, and put a more modern (as in not 1970s) typeface on it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As an oldster who lived through the era, the suggested return to the "glory years" logo is a bit fraudulent.

The logo that's currently on the Leafs' third jerseys and the subject of the petition was actually only in place from the 1964 playoffs until the end of the 1966-67 regular season.

The Leafs won just a single Stanley Cup ('64) in that uniform:

Leafs%2064-67%20H.jpg

Leafs%2064-67%20A.jpg

frank2.jpg

The logo and uniform from the "glory years" (and the one I'd like to see) is as follows:

Leafs%20pre-64%20H.jpg

Leafs%20pre-64%20A.jpg

frank1.gif

The petition website's authors say it was just a "minor tweak" and prefer the lines of the '64-'67 jersey. That may be but their advertising is a bit false. :)

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

I don't know, these "coincidentals" seem to have quite often in sports, don't you think!?! :P

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Why is it that everyone connects looks to on-ice/on-field performance, yet totally gloss over the obvious...their franchise just happens to blow? I mean, I like the Leafs organization, but really? The logo is what is holding them back? How about a revolving door of players and front office staff that have utterly killed any idea of what the Leafs were of the past?

Why is it that everyone connects looks to on-ice/on-field performance, yet totally gloss over the obvious...their franchise just happens to blow? I mean, I like the Leafs organization, but really? The logo is what is holding them back? How about a revolving door of players and front office staff that have utterly killed any idea of what the Leafs were of the past?

I don't know if any of us truly believe that changing a jersey or the primary logo itself will bring home a championship, but it's kind of weird to look back through history and ironically see the kind of success some of the team have had right after some significant changes.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Archived