2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Guess I'll be making a shirt that says "I survived the Leafs' 0-6-1 start to the '09-'10 NHL Season". Keep in mind, the number could grow. ;)

The Leafs look awful and they dont have a #1 pick my god what a disaster that franchise has become.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, I just want to share some frustration with NHL officials.

Last night the Blues were called for a 2-minute high-sticking minor. Replay confirmed that did the damage was either that of the player himself or his teammate. It was clearly not that of the Blues player a few feet away. It mattered as a goal was scored on that power play and it was a one-goal (OT even) game.

Okay, that's fine. They're not perfect and sticks were in the air.

Tonight, right off of a face off, a Ducks player raises his hands and smashes the butt of his stick into his teammates face, cutting him. A Blues player who was somewhat nearby with his stick firmly planted on the ice was called for a double minor high-sticking.

The Blues won 5-0 and it didn't matter. I laughed as it happened it was so absurd, especially on back-to-back nights.

But really, it's kind of ridiculous and something that shouldn't happen. The night prior, as I said, sticks were in the air, someone got hit, I sort of understand the mental process of associating the culprit stick with the opposition player. But tonight, the ref clearly did not see what happened, so he simply identified a Blues player in the vicinity and dished out a DOUBLE MINOR. He didn't identify a Blues player who was really close by waving his stick. He just picked a guy nearby who, as I said, had his stick on the ground. If a ref just plain doesn't see what happens, he shouldn't be making the call. It's not right to just make up an act because you saw a result.

It could have been HUGE. A double minor for something that just plain did not happen. They've got to be better than that.

I think hockey officials may have the most difficult position (basketball would be in the discussion, too). In baseball and football, their calls make a difference of course, but in hockey a penalty call puts a team in a very, very vulnerable position and goals are generally speaking hard to come by. I respect that they have to operate under that kind of pressure, but nonetheless, those types of circumstances mean they really have to be good. And mistakes like these last two nights, specifically when they're happening back to back and as badly as tonight, simply can't happen.

And this post will have no impact on it, and I'm not really even all that upset (winning 5-0 will do that), but I just had to get that out.

The Blackhawks fanbase is less than enamored with Cristobal Huet at this time. Being unable to catch a slow-moving puck which had taken a weird bounce off the boards while he was looking right at it, with no players around him doesn't help.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Is it too early to say that the Columbus Blue Jackets are for real? They dominated the Kings last from start to finish and are 5-1.

If you guys are for real than Ottawa's for real. :P

The Sens have played surprisingly well after that first loss to the Rangers. I mean I'd like to see some more offense coming from the back-end but as long as those wins keep coming in, I shouldn't complain too much.

Pascal Leclaire has looked stellar for us, if he can keep playing that well consistently, and avoid getting injured, then I think the Senators may have found a solid goalie who won't show up late because of cocaine binges the night before.

Spezza looks like a completely different player out there. Even though a lot of the older fans still give him :censored: for any little mistake he does, which has decreased like crazy when you compare him to the Spezza who spun the puck behind him 8 or 9 times a game. It seems like Jason is really starting to make the smarter, simpler plays, and is starting to become more of a 2-way player.

So far so good in the Capital. I hope they can keep this up, and it's not just a fluke start.

Hi, how are you?

Is it too early to say that the Columbus Blue Jackets are for real? They dominated the Kings last from start to finish and are 5-1.

no team is for real and no team is out of it (well, except for the Leafs possibly) at this point in the season.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Blackhawks fanbase is less than enamored with Cristobal Huet at this time. Being unable to catch a slow-moving puck which had taken a weird bounce off the boards while he was looking right at it, with no players around him doesn't help.

To make matters worse, it was the game winning goal ...

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

How long until the Red Wings get into the top 3 spots in the Western Conference? (Right now, they are 11th.)

Not this season. The mass of young talent in the West is showing that they're better than the veterans in Detroit. The Red Wings may just miss the playoffs.

Also, good luck Ottawa with keeping Pascal healthy. I really would love for him to have a great year up there in Ottawa.

On the Jackets, it's not like they've beaten cupcakes:

Minny

Vancouver

Phoenix (who's been getting some absurd goaltending)

Calgary

LA Kings

And had one bad game against:

San Jose

I really think Hitchcock thinks this team's really special. And Hitch isn't that kinda guy.

6fQjS3M.png

This season in my mind doesn't truly begin until when you can start separating the contenders from the pretenders and that's around Mid to Late November to about Early to Mid December. But even pass that date teams can fall apart and teams can rise from the ashes.

I.E. Phoenix last year.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

This season in my mind doesn't truly begin until when you can start separating the contenders from the pretenders and that's around Mid to Late November to about Early to Mid December. But even pass that date teams can fall apart and teams can rise from the ashes.

I.E. Phoenix last year.

Yeah exactly I think we'll see many of these teams.

Also, LOL at the banner just randomly having a Cardinals fans advertisement. As we say, we are all Cardinals :P

6fQjS3M.png

Until about 20 games into the season, its too early to really make much of a judgment call about any team's performance.

"It's pretty unfair," captain Jonathan Toews said. "There's way more pressure on him than there should be."

Luv ya Toews, but it's totally fair to hold everyone on the team to a championship standard, especially the guy making the most money, playing the most important position. With all the anxiety about the impending CAPOCALYPSE, he's rightfully going to catch hell when a guy who can't stop a puck from gently bouncing into the net with nobody on his side of the blue line is not only losing games but jeopardizing the long-term future of the franchise. The stakes are high. This is not the Steve Passmore era.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Until about 20 games into the season, its too early to really make much of a judgment call about any team's performance.

I'd like to say one cannot gauge a team's performance until mid-January as the superior teams begin to separate from the rest of the pack. Whereas the weaker teams begin to either make adjustments in an attempt to push for the playoffs or succumb to the fact that their squad is not good and begin to "push" for a high draft pick.

Archived