2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NHL needs to do something about those so called failed hip checks.

I'm glad Ott got suspended(from what i read it was more for the knee to knee hit on Crombeen), but why didn't Scuderi. Scuderi's hit was definitely lower then Otts and Chimera could have been hurt a lot worse. If you watch the Scuderi video you see his shoulder at Chimera's knees. On the Ott hit though, you can see Colaiacovo try to avoid the hit but still there is no need to hit a player that low. What ever happened to clean hitting hockey.

Now onto the Richards hit. Now when I first saw this I thought it was a good hit but that was only at a glance. I watched it over again and saw Richards lead his shoulder and hit Booth in the head. I have read the NHL has been discussing suspensions about head shots. I feel the NHL should be able to protect their players but allowing the game to still have a physical aspect.

Of all these hits something should have been done to show that if you break the rules there will be a consequence. Being from the same area as where David Booth was born I feel something needs to be done about the head shots.

I AM SCORE!

There was nothing wrong with the Richards hit as whoever he hit just touched the puck and was admiring his pass. I'm so sick of people who want to turn hockey into the NFL and put pink tutoos on the players. As far as these "missed" hip checks, again, this is hockey not the NFL. It's a contact sport. If you want to watch people skating around and no contact, watch Olympic Ice Dancing.

I don't think Booth even had time to react before Richards hit him. I'm not saying it was a dirty hit....the thing that makes it iffy is that Richards came across the ice and clearly led his shoulder into Booth's head. It's a tough call.

Head shots are a problem. Period. The longer they ignore them the more likely someone will get seriously injured and their career will be done (Steve Moore aside, thats a whole different story). It doesnt take a whole lot of effort to peel off when all you can hit is their head directly. Richards didnt make the effort, and intent or not, Booth got hurt.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

There was nothing wrong with the Richards hit as whoever he hit just touched the puck and was admiring his pass. I'm so sick of people who want to turn hockey into the NFL and put pink tutoos on the players. As far as these "missed" hip checks, again, this is hockey not the NFL. It's a contact sport. If you want to watch people skating around and no contact, watch Olympic Ice Dancing.

hockey, like the NFL, shouldn't tolerate players going after another player's knee. I don't have to tell you that is an easily injured area. There is such a thing as a dirty legal hit and the Scuderi hit on Jason Chimera was a dirty legal hit. I'm not saying the NHL should outlaw physical contact as you hyperbolized, but there was no need for Scuderi to duck as low as he did. He could've stood Chimera up at the blue line like a professional instead of toppling him face first into the ice.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If anyone goes after the head it should be an automatic penalty and depending on how bad the hit was and or how bad the player was hurt it should result in at least a 1 game suspension.

I love the hits but checking from behind and hits to the head incidental or not should be handled in a serious matter.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

If anyone goes after the head it should be an automatic penalty and depending on how bad the hit was and or how bad the player was hurt it should result in at least a 1 game suspension.

I love the hits but checking from behind and hits to the head incidental or not should be handled in a serious matter.

+1

The NHL noticed a problem with high sticks, so they made it a penalty no matter if it was intentional or not. That's what they need to do with head shots. Obviously head shots are a bit more serious, and should also be reviewed after the game.

1zqy8ok.gif

+1

The NHL noticed a problem with high sticks, so they made it a penalty no matter if it was intentional or not. That's what they need to do with head shots. Obviously head shots are a bit more serious, and should also be reviewed after the game.

Why after? The NHL should take the time to stop the game to review the incident and assess the perpetrator a game misconduct and automatic ejection from the game on the spot. Then after the game, they?ll review the tape and determine a lengthy and appropriate suspension.

Luongo out with an undisclosed injury per TSN.

-Dan

A part of me feels bad for Luongo why that is I'll never know but it seems like every game I've seen the Canucks play Luongo has some sort of injury to him but just shakes it off and yesterday looked like one of those incidents but it's worse then it looked.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't see why the head shot issue has to be complicated. For high sticking, intent doesn't matter, any contact with the stick into the head of an opposing player is a penalty. Just apply the same principal to headshots, and use video review if needed. Any hit that results in part of your body contacting the opponents head should be a penalty.

Luongo out with an undisclosed injury per TSN.

-Dan

A part of me feels bad for Luongo why that is I'll never know but it seems like every game I've seen the Canucks play Luongo has some sort of injury to him but just shakes it off and yesterday looked like one of those incidents but it's worse then it looked.

Bet that lengthy contract extension is sitting well with the Canucks organization right now.

I don't see why the head shot issue has to be complicated. For high sticking, intent doesn't matter, any contact with the stick into the head of an opposing player is a penalty. Just apply the same principal to headshots, and use video review if needed. Any hit that results in part of your body contacting the opponents head should be a penalty.

Head shots arent complicated, just punishing them has alot of powerful enemies in the NHL like Colin Campbell. Hes more worried about whether the game will suffer than the players safety. Players back in the day werent as big or as fast as they are today and the old guard fails to realize this.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Leafs gained another point - 4-3 OT loss to Dallas.

The silver lining - Gustavsson can actually play and the team in front of him are beginning to show they know what hockey is. At the same time, Dallas is one of 3 teams out of a total of 10 that has given up at least a point to Toronto. Once again, it was the battle of two crappy teams. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Archived