St. Louis Rams in throwbacks today

FiddySicks

You know what's weird? If they were wearing 1999 throwbacks, why didn't they wear the white uniform that they wore in the Super Bowl? Ironically, Madden 10 has this very jersey with the Super Bowl Patch on it, as if it was foreshadowing something. It has been 10 years since then, though, so I dunno.

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know what's weird? If they were wearing 1999 throwbacks, why didn't they wear the white uniform that they wore in the Super Bowl? Ironically, Madden 10 has this very jersey with the Super Bowl Patch on it, as if it was foreshadowing something. It has been 10 years since then, though, so I dunno.

Because they didn't wear white at home in 1999.

Mainly because the "white is cooler" illogic is even less applicable in a dome.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While I like the current Rams uniforms, they haven't won anything since adopting them. The older blue and yellow uniforms were worn when they played in LA (where they belong.) They made two Super Bowl appearances in them and won the latter. I always felt the old uniforms looked great, and I was reminded of that when I saw these throwback jerseys on Sunday.

A lot of these throwback uniforms I actually really liked... The Broncos and the Rams. Sometimes I wished teams would just stick with their older colors instead of changing things around for the times. The Rams' old yellow and blue uniforms were classic, and I still see little reason why they were ever retired in the first place, especially the season AFTER they won the Super Bowl.

From what I can recall, the Rams were a year late in either submitting or receiving their new uniform design/request/whatever teams have to do for new uniforms. The funny thing is that the first year they wore those new uniforms, they still had the old rounded block humbers on them (even weirder since at that time the replicas had the current City Bold-ish numbers on them). I believe it was the following year the actual team jerseys got the numbers they rock currently.

Oh, and I believe the Rams wanted a new look to signify a new identity in their new city. Perhaps someone can confirm/deny that up in here (?).

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

While I like the current Rams uniforms, they haven't won anything since adopting them. The older blue and yellow uniforms were worn when they played in LA (where they belong.) They made two Super Bowl appearances in them and won the latter. I always felt the old uniforms looked great, and I was reminded of that when I saw these throwback jerseys on Sunday.

A lot of these throwback uniforms I actually really liked... The Broncos and the Rams. Sometimes I wished teams would just stick with their older colors instead of changing things around for the times. The Rams' old yellow and blue uniforms were classic, and I still see little reason why they were ever retired in the first place, especially the season AFTER they won the Super Bowl.

From what I can recall, the Rams were a year late in either submitting or receiving their new uniform design/request/whatever teams have to do for new uniforms. The funny thing is that the first year they wore those new uniforms, they still had the old rounded block humbers on them (even weirder since at that time the replicas had the current City Bold-ish numbers on them). I believe it was the following year the actual team jerseys got the numbers they rock currently.

Oh, and I believe the Rams wanted a new look to signify a new identity in their new city. Perhaps someone can confirm/deny that up in here (?).

IDK, I just think that any new Ram's helmet design that wouldn't include the famous circling horns would be sacrilage. I put their helmet up there with the Wolverines, Fighting Irish, Browns, Eagles, and Cowboys to be mandatory to never change the basic design or logo on the helmet. I realize the Eagles made a pretty big change, but at least they kept the wings, which is most important.

The Rams are considered the first team to have a helmet logo, right? I think Princeton (and later Michigan's) design may have been the first design, but the Rams were the first to do any sort of literal logo. I think.

So yeah, it'd be pretty outrageous for them to change that. Although, I also don't know where anyone suggested that?

In any case, I'm not sure the new design was to give them a new "St. Louis" identity. The '99 season was already their fifth here. I think they just wanted a new identity in general. There had been talk for a couple of years that the royal blue would become navy. The yellow to gold was a small surprise.

If they had known they were going to win a Super Bowl in the old gear, maybe they wouldn't have changed, but at the same time, there's really know better way to sell that new merchandise, and the old look was becoming dated, winners or not.

The Rams are considered the first team to have a helmet logo, right? I think Princeton (and later Michigan's) design may have been the first design, but the Rams were the first to do any sort of literal logo. I think.

So yeah, it'd be pretty outrageous for them to change that. Although, I also don't know where anyone suggested that?

In any case, I'm not sure the new design was to give them a new "St. Louis" identity. The '99 season was already their fifth here. I think they just wanted a new identity in general. There had been talk for a couple of years that the royal blue would become navy. The yellow to gold was a small surprise.

If they had known they were going to win a Super Bowl in the old gear, maybe they wouldn't have changed, but at the same time, there's really know better way to sell that new merchandise, and the old look was becoming dated, winners or not.

I thought I read someone mentioning that they had petitioned the league to change their logo. I wasn't sure if that meant helmet logo or not, hence my rant. I think you may be right on your history. I think the rams were indeed the first to do it. I just googled it and it looks correct. Good call.

I thought I read someone mentioning that they had petitioned the league to change their logo. I wasn't sure if that meant helmet logo or not, hence my rant. I think you may be right on your history. I think the rams were indeed the first to do it. I just googled it and it looks correct. Good call.

They were. And I want to say it was in or about 1948 that those horns first showed up. Without having the facts right in front of me (because I'm at work..I have the actual story somewhere), I believe the idea was bandied about by a guy on the team who was an art major in college who came up with the idea to paint some "ram horns" on the helmets.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

They were. And I want to say it was in or about 1948 that those horns first showed up. Without having the facts right in front of me (because I'm at work..I have the actual story somewhere), I believe the idea was bandied about by a guy on the team who was an art major in college who came up with the idea to paint some "ram horns" on the helmets.

They were designed by Fred Gehrke, who went on to be the GM of the Broncos from 1977-81.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Found this illustration of their helmet history up through 1980:

st_louis_rams2.gif

IMO the Rams have two distinctions: first helmet logo and one of the best ever. It's perfect for their team name, works great on a helmet, and looks cool. That's about all you can ask.

BTW, the Rams play a prominent role in a recent excellent SI story about the integration of the NFL. Highly recommend it.

The NFL's Jackie Robinson

The mag itself features some period photos of the players in their Rams unis. Couldn't find those online.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived