NBA Season Thread

Gary

I'm surprised he lasted this long there.

Also surprised that he wasn't fired. But hey, he was basically his own boss when it came to GM > Coach, so that's good for him I suppose.

I still think that the Clippers have a good 2-3 years left in their small window. If that team (especially Blake Griffin) can get fully healthy soon, they will be a legit force in the West. Highly doubt that will ever happen, though.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC correctly Durant had questions about his strentgh going into the draft. He had an embarrassing number of reps in the bench press that raised questions on whether he could stand the grind of an NBA season. With that said, I'm still taking Durant over Oden, every time.

Same here. I got to see Greg Oden a lot when he played at Ohio State. He had great size etc. but he wasn't "end of the world" impressive. He was good and all but outside his size, I didn't see anything that made me think he was the next Shaq or Kareem. Add in the injury concerns and I think Durant looked like a better bet but I wasn't in the room with Blazers management at the time. And even if I had been they probably would have said "What the hell do you know? You don't even follow NBA basketball." :D

BB52Big.jpg

IIRC correctly Durant had questions about his strentgh going into the draft. He had an embarrassing number of reps in the bench press that raised questions on whether he could stand the grind of an NBA season. With that said, I'm still taking Durant over Oden, every time.

Same here. I got to see Greg Oden a lot when he played at Ohio State. He had great size etc. but he wasn't "end of the world" impressive. He was good and all but outside his size, I didn't see anything that made me think he was the next Shaq or Kareem. Add in the injury concerns and I think Durant looked like a better bet but I wasn't in the room with Blazers management at the time. And even if I had been they probably would have said "What the hell do you know? You don't even follow NBA basketball." :D

Yeah, I thought Oden was the next Kevin Willis, mostly because they looked the same age. But seriously, as much as I hate OSU basketball (and to think I used to idolize Brent Darby!), I really wished Oden would have stayed in school because he really could have benefited from that. He had the tools, but he didn't seem to have it all together yet.

Yeah, I thought Oden was the next Kevin Willis, mostly because they looked the same age. But seriously, as much as I hate OSU basketball (and to think I used to idolize Brent Darby!), I really wished Oden would have stayed in school because he really could have benefited from that. He had the tools, but he didn't seem to have it all together yet.

I agree. If he had played even one more season it could have made a huge difference. But even if he never plays another minute he's set for life so I can't blame him for taking the sure cash. It's too bad because a couple more years of "seasoning" probably would have turned him into a real monster. The NBA isn't really the best place to try to learn on the fly.

BB52Big.jpg

I totally agree that Oden should have probably played atleast one more year at Ohio State, but then again who knows what could have happened injury wise. I mean if he had the same trouble with his knees that he's having now, his stock would have plummeted and who knows he may not have even made it to the pros. So I guess in all he did make the best decision by taking the money rather than risking injuries to stay in college. I hope the best for him, he seems like a good guy with bad luck.

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

All-Star Weekend starts on Friday, & Dallas is so excited that they decided to greet the All-Stars with a fresh sheet of snow! Already players are pulling out, either due to injury, snow, or just plain ol' don't wanna come:

Kobe Bryant (LAL, multitude of ailments); Replaced by Jason Kidd (DAL)

Allen Iverson (PHI, snow, family issues); Replaced by David Lee (NYK)

In addition, Nate Robinson is having second thoughts about participating in the Dunk Contest this year because he doesn't want to go from New York snow to Dallas snow.

However, it's good to see Lee's gonna be an All-Star after all. Also, congratulations to New Orleans, Miami, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, & Orlando for now becoming the rotating sites of the All-Star game since due to their anti-snow requirements. :P

In addition, Nate Robinson is having second thoughts about participating in the Dunk Contest this year because he doesn't want to go from New York snow to Dallas snow.

He might as well just say it.... He doesn't care to participate because dunk contest is completely irrelevant.

6uXNWAo.png

He might as well just say it.... He doesn't care to participate because dunk contest is completely irrelevant.

Yeah he'd be the one to say it considering the fact that this would be his 3rd straight year being in it. Complete sense. :D

Yeah he'd be the one to say it considering the fact that this would be his 3rd straight year being in it. Complete sense. :D

Perhaps he's bored with winning. Plus, don't players have to be under the age of 20 to compete in the dunk contest these days? :rolleyes:

6uXNWAo.png

Josh Howard's freefall continues, as he's now a member of the downtrotten Wiz.

Washington gets:

Josh Howard

Drew Gooden

and a couple of tablescraps

Dallas gets:

Caron Butler

Brendan Haywood

DeShawn Stevenson

6uXNWAo.png

DirtyCurty is a sage. This year's dunk contest was probably the lamest it's been in years, which is saying something considering that there were some pretty bad ones over the past decade.

DirtyCurty is a sage. This year's dunk contest was probably the lamest it's been in years, which is saying something considering that there were some pretty bad ones over the past decade.

It was really bad. Missing meh dunks first, and the crowd hardly reacting should tell you to do something different. The one in New Orleans was easily the best one. One guy blew out a candle on a cupcake sitting on the rim, and IIRC didn't advance. Also, jumping from a foot infront of the free throw is unoriginal and lame.

Plus, Barkley seemed a bit tipsy.

Definitely the worst dunk contest I can remember watching... made worse by the fact that Shannon Brown and Gerald Wallace didn't even show up. Routine alley-oop during ASW? Come on now. DeRozan's off-the-side-of-the-backboard dunk was pretty dope. Nate's weren't terrible, just not impressive in comparison to his previous dunks the last few years. His B-game was good enough to win, so whatever. Least I can always count on Nate to represent New York somewhat well.^_^

Highlight of All Star Weekend, IMO, courtesy of Charles Barkley: "Ever notice how Gatorade don't work for people that suck?"

Brilliant.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

Archived